Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
Is the Pioneer VSX-520 decent? I just bought a new Samsung 46' LED and want real audio for the first time, but I'd like to keep it under $500. I've decided on the Pioneer SP-FS51-LR's because they fit my layout and I think a 2.0 setup should work. Besides which receiver I buy, I have a few questions. (Setup is the aforementioned TV on a HDMI cable box, a PS3 and a Wii.)

a. Is 2.0 the way to go after all? This is primarily going to be for TV and gaming--we don't watch a lot of movies and rarely buy/rent blu-rays. Do I need a center channel? Can I use the TV as a center channel speaker or does it need to be directional? With the range of those speakers will I need a sub?

b. I'm assuming the way this works is that I plug my components into the receiver and the receiver outputs to the TV so I don't have to switch the input on both the receiver and TV every time. Correct?

c. Are wireless rears any good? Should I look into that? right now the main barrier to a 5.1 system besides price is the challenge of wiring up the apartment. We have an untrained puppy and are moving in six months, so a decent job probably isn't worth it

Honestly I considered a sound bar, given that we're cheap and not audiophiles by any means, but a modular system seems like the way to go so I can reuse components later if we expand. Also, if I'm completely off base and people want to recommend a setup in the $500 ballpark please do, I'm not married to any plan yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
Thanks a lot guys. I think I might go with the 820--the fiancee wants an iPod interface, an extra HDMI is probably a good idea, and I like the thought of auto-calibrating it. Works in the budget too. I'll look at the store but I assume I can use the first post-mentioned "banana plugs" here. At $79, the center speaker in that Pioneer series is probably the logical buy