Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I want to setup a system in my den but my wiring situation is complicated. Basically I can't rip up the carpet or drill and the GF doesn't want any visible wires. So I'm kind of compromising by planning a 3.1 setup which will be a lot more hassle free and I can build a proper home theater room later on. Is this going to present any problems or will my receiver just gracefully do it's thing? Like what happens if I'm watching a 5.1 source? Do I just lose the surrounds or will the receiver mix the audio into the fronts/center?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
As long as you declare it properly to the official then I think at worst you would have to pay the HST on the item. There are rates on the official customs site for various types of items. I was looking at a TV and the difference basically amounted to what the tax would have been so I still ended up saving something ridiculous like $500 just buying it in the US. I used US Address Inc to hold the item for me.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Flying Milton posted:

This thread has created a monster. My CS2 is now on the way. Yumm center channel goodness.

It's a great budget center channel, I got mine on sale for like $89 with free shipping and I've been very happy with it. It's bloody huge though, make sure your stand/media center can fit it. After doing the "build in parts" approach for my home theater setup, I wish I had bought the center channel along with the towers instead of a sub first.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you can wait a bit Visions.ca usually has free shipping and good speaker sales at the end of December and early January. I grabbed a whole bunch of Polk Audio stuff from them last year at absurd prices - CS2 center channel for $80, TSi 400's L/R for $200 and an Onkyo receiver for about $200. It's not Kef or Energy gear but it's decent entry level stuff that's a definite step up from HTIB crap.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
That Infinity package is really nice for $400. Dude is out in Welland near me and that's damned tempting.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yeah it's pretty damned big, takes up most of the space on the middle layer in my stand. That said it's an excellent value, I think I got mine for something like $90 shipped last year.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Need some recommendations for a basic 5.1+ capable home theater receiver with 4-5 HDMI inputs. Also I'd like the ability to rename the inputs on its display instead of using silly preset names like GAME or whatever. My old receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR519 or something along those lines, it had a problem with HDMI handshaking sometimes which would result in video with no audio so I'd like to avoid that if its still plaguing their product lines. It also had this strange thing where it would do a very audible click when changing sound formats, is that a thing they all do? I don't know much about receivers. If it has Audyssey setup or something like that would be great too.

One other question, I am moving my home theater stuff to the basement to do a proper mancave. Unfortunately space is a bit more constrained and there isn't room behind the couch for rear speakers. I could do them to either side of the couch instead. Also wiring would be a huge pain in the rear end, are wireless rear speakers a thing yet or is it still an expensive pipedream? I am not really sure where to put the sub too, the A/V stand is tempered glass and out of room anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

The reason I'd be interested in a 3 speaker setup is that I watch movies and stuff on low volume sometimes, but explosions and stuff are a LOT louder than the voices, so you either turn it up too loud to hear the characters speak, or you turn it down so you don't wake up the neighbors but can't hear any dialog.

Also, all the product links in the second post of the thread are dead. Can I get a couple recommendations for a receiver and speakers? The room's about 10x12', I'd like to spend $300-400 but can go a little higher if there's something really nice.

I ran a 3.0 setup for a few years until we got a new house with a proper mancave. I actually preferred it to my old 2 speaker setup, having a dedicated center channel with adjustable volume is great and it felt much easier to decipher dialogue during action sequences. I picked up the center channel because my eventual goal was a 5.1+ setup anyway though. I've never tried the night mode stuff on newer receivers so no idea if it works as well.