Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Some one locally had a set of B&W 684 S1s and an HTM61 S1 for $500. I'm looking up upgrade from some somewhat vintage altec lansing 105 bookshelf's. 75% listening to music. I have a garbage polk sub for now that may get replaced eventually.

Is it dumb to buy the B&Ws at that price? I'm having trouble figuring out if its a good deal or not. I understand they are a bit brighter sounding of speakers (I assume maybe Grado esque?). I like music with bass from time to time but I imagine my sub can still cover that being that I've been happy with my old altec lansings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I picked up some Monitor Audio Bronze 5 towers the other day for $200. I currently don't have have a sub and listening to these for a little, I really like them but I need a sub. Some one locally has an F12 for $100 so I figurer that's an easy trigger to pull. My next question is once I'm there and have a really unbalanced system, should I consider changing up my amplification set up from the old sony receiver I picked up years ago at a garage sale? I figure something like a Minidsp DDRC-24 and a 2 channel amp? Where I'm getting lost is figuring out how to rationalize all the inputs. I dont really want to spend boat loads of money on a budget set up, but DSPs sound like a really good way to fix hardware problems with software.

I'm not sure I'm clear on how I would be able to run all my inputs through the DSP and then out through an amplifier. If I went with an AVR I think it would clearly handle all the inputs, and let the TV control volume which would be nice, but Im not sure how to loop the miniDSP with that.