Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I might jump on a pair of those 50s if they get some good recommendations up in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Hey guys, I'm thinking of pairing the following receiver with a pair of Polk Audio monitor 60s:

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR309-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B004O0TRCE/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I'm just gonna do a 3.1 set up and grab a sub if I feel the bass is lacking. I'll be using it 99.9% of the time for TV and movies. I'll never be using it for games as I am a PC gamer and I might use it for music once in a great while.

So my question is, would this meet my needs?

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Statutory Grape posted:

Welp I just ordered a pair of Polk TSI100s and a PSW10 for my meager audio needs. I based the buy off of this thread and some opinions of a friend whose audio expertise far exceeds mine. I will be hooking them up to a crappy Sony STR K660P while I save up for a more recently released receiver. I'm mainly going to be using them for playing music through my PC and the occasional movie.

Trip report to come!

I bought some TSI300s a few weeks back and love them.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Hi Guys, I'm moving in with my girlfriend in a couple of months, and alas there is no room for my beloved TSI 300 tower speakers. Does anyone have any recommendations/experience with bookshelf speakers in the 100-300 dollar range? I already have everything else, just need bookshelf speakers for space.

The TSI 300s will languish in a garage until we have a bigger place. Then they will be free to roar once more.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Hob_Gadling posted:

Polk TSi 100/200 is the obvious choice if you like the floorstanding version.

Thanks, I'll grab a pair and post a trip report!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Hello thread, I am about to purchase a LG CX as my first 4K TV. My current receiver does not support the output of 4K video as I bought it way back in 2009-2010.

My question is about ARC/eARC. The LG CX is gsync/freesync compatible and I do intend to connect a future PS5 purchase to the TV. Since receivers with support for HDMI 2.1 tend to be on the pricier side, everything I've read so far seems to suggest the way to go would be to run the PS5 video signal through the TV and then send the audio to the receiver from the TV.

However if I am currently only running a 3.1 setup, with a possible 5.1 setup in the future, is there any reason to use eARC and not just go with an optical cable out to the receiver when using the PS5, with everything else running into video into the receiver and then back out to the TV?

Edit: Thought about this a bit more. If I am happy with my current audio setup, would it make sense not to buy a new receiver and just run all video direct to the TV with an optical cable to my current receiver?

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 18, 2020