Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Hoping to get some input on speaker set up in a really unusually shaped room. My soundbar just died so I'd like to take the opportunity to get a 5.1 system, but don't want to waste the money if the room layout just isn't conducive to it. Pardon the crudeness of the drawing:

Scale is off but you get the idea. The left and back walls have either a giant closet or an alcove that impact their usability. The couch is offcenter to the TV; I'm hesitant to slide it over any more to avoid a big strip of unusable room along the wall - we already have one between the alcove and the couch so that the alcove isn't blocked off. We originally had the TV catty-corner in the rear-left corner and the sofa on the front wall. May go back to that if we can't figure out a way to make this work (wife prefers this layout because the room feels more open). The rear wall also has a slant from halfway up the wall to the ceiling a few feet into the room, so no clean corners there.

Any suggestions on where I'd put side speakers to make this work reasonably well, or is my current situation hopeless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I believe (but will double check the measurements) the the length of the couch running top to bottom was just barely large enough to preclude anything else from going in the room and kindof put a wall right in the middle of where you’d walk in. It’s possible but doesn’t look great (but I’ll doublecheck).

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I'm going to try to convince my wife to let us play with some other configurations but I was kindof afraid that would be the case. Thanks!

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I appreciate all the input! For the sake of argument, what about a room configured like this? This puts it back to how it was before; not sure if it makes things better for a compromise 5.1. Little circles are where I'd expect speakers probably go, but maybe not? Would corner mount the TV. The viewing angles at least are much better like this than in the setup I posted above.

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 29, 2020