Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

LactoseO.D.'d posted:

Can someone give me an example of something I would be expected to use VBA for in Excel in an IB environment? I get so much functionality off of just the macro recorder, I have a tough time envisioning what I would actually need to bust out some code for.
There are a few applications where VBA comes in handy. I've built all of the below with macros within IBs, some of the functionality already developed by business people (I work on the IT side):

In equities you could use macros to build unofficial trade notifications or confirmations for clients from raw data, if your order management system doesn't already provide the feature.

VBA could be used in the trading desk's front-office for building price forecasting models (based on related market and industry data) and spitting out results in an organized format.

For mid-office VBA can be used to transform data from one format to another, such as if you need to take trades from one system and import them into another, but the two systems don't have a direct interface.

VBA can also be used to do support reconciliations, if you are in the mid to back-office.

There are ways to kludge existing VBA functions like vlookup to provide some of the functionality above, but VBA coding helps to keep the spreadsheets a little cleaner.

It can help keep your code organized if you learn how to create a VBA Add-in, and also learn how classes and collections work. Also learn the range and offset objects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread