Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waroen
Jun 23, 2006
Fuck Jesus and Fuck Shoes!!
Woo I broke into the buy-side out of school. Hedge fund analyst at a small fund right now but we're growing assets considerably. The key is networking. Cold call a bunch of small HF if you want to break in and hope they offer you a job after school. After you get lucky with that hope your fund is good and attracts cash and you'll be on the road to wealth without having to work the 100 hour weeks at a BB in Investment Banking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroen
Jun 23, 2006
If your ultimate goal is buyside there's no reason to gently caress around in banking and want to kill yourself for a few years if you can get there immediately. What PE shops recruit for front-office out of NEU?

Waroen
Jun 23, 2006
Brooke looks like they're a PE fund-of-funds which is a nice lifestyle but probably not what you're looking for as it's more due diligence and back-office type work. THL Credit is part of Thomas H. Lee so that would be pretty sweet but hard to break in to.

Waroen
Jun 23, 2006

Thoogsby posted:

I have an interview tomorrow that is going to be almost 100% behavioral. I know the majority of the standard questions but if anyone has ever heard of or been asked any really crazy behavioral questions I would love to hear them.

Why shouldn't I hire you?

Waroen
Jun 23, 2006
Usually personal trading accounts don't count for much of anything unless you are managing a few million already. It's definitely valuable to learn the skills but a far long-shot unless you go back for an MBA.

Waroen
Jun 23, 2006
Not true, I put in 168 hours per week for real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroen
Jun 23, 2006

Time posted:

I have the opportunity to transfer into a finance program at Northeastern, Wake Forest, Villanova and Miami(OH). Am I right for leaning towards Northeastern? My only criteria are what school will give me the best shot at breaking into ibanking and which gives me the best shot at a top tier MBA program.

My grades are perfect I have 5 years military service including leadership in combat and a Purple Heart. I'm not sure that affects what school I should go to but I'm just putting it all out there. Any input is appreciated.

I went to NU and work for a HF but got lucky. In my year there were 2-3 kids who went to ibanking. Vast majority of finance majors at NU go into back office or middle office if they're lucky. Co-op experience is great but it's not directed towards ibanking and definitely not a target for it. The people who ended up getting IB jobs busted their rear end above and beyond in terms of networking and applying.

• Locked thread