Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Rocketfish posted:

What bewilders me is how some great books can have loving terrible covers. I'm currently chewing my way through the Honor Harrington series by David Webber, which are all pretty good reads. Not fantasy per say, but oh god the covers.

The worst thing about those particular covers is that none of On Basilisk Station takes place on a space station. Weber used the old Royal Navy term of "station" to refer to a far-off posting for a ship.

Covers for later novels in the series don't get much better:

or, if you prefer, the toe-curlingly bad version of the same cover:

Lets consider the interesting case of the Discworld novels. In Britain, for the novel Men At Arms, you'd probably have a copy with this cover:

And that's your standard wacky Josh Kirby cover, or the alternative, more recent, stylish

One of the American covers for the book:

And...what the gently caress? Even if the Kirby cover isn't your style, what would possess a person to go for psychedelic purple and black with a tri-section set of handcuffs, which don't feature in the story? I suppose we should be grateful that the publisher didn't opt to go for that cover with the guy petting a dragon while a dwarf tries to cop a feel from the boxom blonde.

Oh? Really? They did?

There's a wiki devoted to covers for Discworld novels. Some of the Russian covers are superb. The American ones...not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU