Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Theeee Spacepope

This topic is hillarious. I agree completely on the Honor Harrington novels, they may have wandered off in the later ones but the first few are really good, while the covers are just plain horrendous.

I just started reading On Basilisk Station about an hour ago and the prologue was so poorly written that I put it down to find something else to do before going on. ("We're riding a neo-tiger here!") I'll go back in a bit but that was not a promising start.

For thread content have this:

I had trouble quickly finding fantasy novel covers that were truly awful instead of just generic. The standard fantasy novel cover (as featured in the OP) has your young, generically handsome hero on horseback with his generically hot love interest riding through a generic landscape with a castle in the background. It's only slightly worse than the generic SF book cover which features the protagonist (male or female) against a generic SF background (alien landscape or technology depending on the book) staring off into the middle distance (see the On Basilisk Station cover).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU