Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
What laptop stand is that? I've got a stanton uberstand and it is absolute wobbly rear end poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Looks like a Crane stand.

https://www.thecranestand.com/

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
To be honest, I don't intend to use the dicers much. I keep Traktor around mostly as a novelty these days; the laptop is basically just for running OBS to stream (and honestly I might need to change that because it's an old laptop). If someone who's a Traktor/DVS user comes by, that's mostly what the dicers are for. And yeah they'd better have long arms.

EDIT: Yes the laptop and the ATEM Mini video switcher are held up by Crane stands.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

How do you like the ATEM Mini? I like how portable it is but I don't like the fact that it's doing HDMI inputs instead of SDI.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I dig it, but I wish I had waited to pull the trigger because the Mini Pro came out like a day after I did, lmao. Since I'm just using a handful of action cams the HDMI is fine for me. I'm thinking of finding somewhere to connect my Nikon camera with some good glass (maybe my fisheye, because every junglist has a fisheye lens) but real estate is at a premium in this room. The HDMI output is clutch; plugs right into my Atomos recorder so I don't have to also have the laptop simultaneously recording and streaming. I've not even scratched the surface of the overlays and stuff I can do in the software but I hope to work on some video bumpers and chyrons in the future. I wish it had automatic camera switching on a timer or something so I can just leave it and mix - maybe it already does? Maybe in a firmware update? IDK but I dig it.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Is there a cheaper version of something like the hurricane haze that will work for a low ceiling, 250 sq ft room? Its the only thing lacking in my new basement DJ setup and I would really like it for the lights.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

abuse culture. posted:

is it kosher to post a mix in here for critique? it's 2 hours long, lol!!!!!!!

There’s a DJ mixes thread you could post it in. Hasn’t been active in some time tho

e: lol last post was 3 years ago https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3049995&perpage=40&pagenumber=76

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Fenarisk posted:

Is there a cheaper version of something like the hurricane haze that will work for a low ceiling, 250 sq ft room? Its the only thing lacking in my new basement DJ setup and I would really like it for the lights.

I bought one of those cheapo $40 smoke machines on Amazon and I'm pretty sure it'll work for a room that small. Got some FogWorx juice to go with it as well.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

vanilla slimfast posted:

There’s a DJ mixes thread you could post it in. Hasn’t been active in some time tho

e: lol last post was 3 years ago https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3049995&perpage=40&pagenumber=76

Don’t worry, upon listening to it a few more times I’m deeply unhappy with it, and myself,

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

keevo posted:

I bought one of those cheapo $40 smoke machines on Amazon and I'm pretty sure it'll work for a room that small. Got some FogWorx juice to go with it as well.

I'm avoiding fog as it isn't a very well vented space and in my experience fog and its juice leaves a terrible residue, whereas hazers are water based.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Is there a recommended free or paid online course for for learning how to scratch?

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

terre packet posted:

Is there a recommended free or paid online course for for learning how to scratch?

The DJ Qbert DVDs are pretty good from what I remember.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

fat gay nonce posted:

The DJ Qbert DVDs are pretty good from what I remember.

They will also teach you excellent basic home repair techniques
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPxU5H7guTk

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Those look perfect, just ordered the first DVD from Thud Rumble. Thanks for the heads up!

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
there's so many good youtube videos that cover each scratch/combo in great detail now from household names to no-names. get the basic stuff locked as its most effective and appreciated by your typical crowd/listener who won't know or care (or even be turned off by) the complex stuff. practise with the aaahh sound by all means but no one really wants to hear that in a party situation, vocals always sound pretty good even when you're executing basic but well executed / well timed scratches. good excuse to post some d-styles as he's arguably (and imo is) the best skratch dj there is - in these routines he primarily uses the 3 most basic of all scratches for the majority and the crazy stuff pretty much just for accenting. rob swift is 100% correct when he says you have to serve the music first even if that means just doing basic stuff well - absolutely nobody besides your scratch nerd friends wants to hear your 6 minute chirpflare odyssey however sick it may be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRkJnSwNM4w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0uelX7EwLw

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019
I've been just a radio DJ for a long time and want to dip my toes into actually actual DJing. I can't afford to be a crate digger and not anywhere near any shops unfortunately, so I'm looking at whatever would be good from Pioneer or Neumark (trusted name -- hell even Behringer does a close rip, I might consider, they're notorious for it). I just want 2 esks and a mixer/fader/effects in the middle like it seems everyone has. to use with Traktor and have NoteBurner to rip Spotify tracks so they can be used since i read Seratos don't even it yet. I'm completely new here and trying to read but it's a lot different than radio DJing in its various forms and just want to get my feet wet with a good set up that it ready to go, price isn't that much of a concern if it can get me into the intermediate stages of DJing.

Any ideas of as of recent releases or even a few years ago?

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
What kind of music are you playing? Are you planning on playing out or just playing at home and making recordings? Actual dollars for your budget would be helpful because intermediate can mean a lot of things. Functional DJ gear runs from very cheap to ludicrously expensive but it’s all the same poo poo deep down

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Solomon Gumball posted:

I've been just a radio DJ for a long time and want to dip my toes into actually actual DJing. I can't afford to be a crate digger and not anywhere near any shops unfortunately, so I'm looking at whatever would be good from Pioneer or Neumark (trusted name -- hell even Behringer does a close rip, I might consider, they're notorious for it). I just want 2 esks and a mixer/fader/effects in the middle like it seems everyone has. to use with Traktor and have NoteBurner to rip Spotify tracks so they can be used since i read Seratos don't even it yet. I'm completely new here and trying to read but it's a lot different than radio DJing in its various forms and just want to get my feet wet with a good set up that it ready to go, price isn't that much of a concern if it can get me into the intermediate stages of DJing.

If you're wanting to use Traktor, is there a reason you aren't looking at one of the Native Instruments controllers? The new S2 is out and looks nice and is price-competitive with the entry-level Pioneer stuff.

At home it's whatever, but buy your music if you're going to play out at all. Ethical issues notwithstanding, the quality of ripped music will not be good.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Solomon Gumball posted:

Where does your radio stuff come from? Do you play the kind of stuff you want to DJ? If so, I mean that's your source right there.

Buy a copy of this. It's somewhat dated at this point, they updated various things but it covers the essential parts of the DJing process. It is your bible.

And as others have mentioned, what are you looking to do, how much cash are you willing to spend etc... There's a lot of price points from low to very high into the DJing world.

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019
Thank you for the recommendation.

I guess I should be looking at NI if I'm using Traktor. It seems that the Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol S4 MK2 is up my alley. As something that has the range to begin with but still seen as an investment as I learn.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

CDJ 3000 official release info is out, and it's terrible.

1) 8 hot cues that are small and in a bad place, still no using those buttons for loops, rolls, fx, etc like any of their controllers or Denon has done.
2) No dual layer
3) No on the fly analyzation
4) No motorized jogs (some people care, I don't but they also have those dumb LED screens in thr middle like the DDJ-1000)
5) They ditched the CD drive which they said is what really increased the cost over the XDJs...but it still costs $2400 each
6) It has beat jump buttons so thats decent I guess
7) The screen has a weird overlay system that shows the other player but its real messy and isn't as intuitive as the phase meter all their gear already has. It is a big bright screen though.

I know this is the "new" pioneer since they've been bought out but after 8 YEARS it's basically little to no improvement on what should be their innovative flagship player.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

I’ll have to dive into it, if they made the beat jump bigger than whatever it was (4? 8?) that’s huge and helpful. Center display showing track artwork would be good, everything else I wouldn’t really use. Maybe someone will sell off their 2000 nx2s for decent price now.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Only thing I'm really curious about is if the new processors significantly improve track/cue load times. When I moved to the Pioneer ecosystem, I was aghast that even the NXS2s take a hot minute to load a track's hotcues (if set to auto-load), and basically abandoned using hotcues entirely - if I'm writing a pre-planned OPS mix that's heavy on hotcues I'll just use Traktor instead. If these are instant-load, that's great. But still not enough of a selling feature for me to trade up any time soon, and literally nothing else on the feature list matters to me. LOL that they removed the CD drives but are still calling them CDJs.

One of my buddies is already pondering buying six of them though, and that new six-channel monstrosity mixer.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’d guess they’re assuming most bedroom djs will be using controllers because holy hell those are expensive.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

Only thing I'm really curious about is if the new processors significantly improve track/cue load times. When I moved to the Pioneer ecosystem, I was aghast that even the NXS2s take a hot minute to load a track's hotcues (if set to auto-load), and basically abandoned using hotcues entirely - if I'm writing a pre-planned OPS mix that's heavy on hotcues I'll just use Traktor instead. If these are instant-load, that's great. But still not enough of a selling feature for me to trade up any time soon, and literally nothing else on the feature list matters to me. LOL that they removed the CD drives but are still calling them CDJs.

One of my buddies is already pondering buying six of them though, and that new six-channel monstrosity mixer.

Supposedly it loads faster. They are also touting some new chip and computer inside that allows "huge firmware updates" but the player still isn't designed with buttons to allow huge additions or features so I think that's a load of bull.

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 10, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
If anyone is interested I've had these Traktor control vinyls and Traktor Pro 3 license sitting around unused for a while.
I'm not gonna use them.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3942215

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Harmonix have been working on a new 'DJ' game for a while now and well, it just seems to be a Hood Internet, Girl Talk, E603 mash up creator. Stems of tracks you can just throw in anywhere and fiddling with some effects.

I guess the best bit of it is it's going to teach at least 1 person about phrasing but exactly nobody is going to think any of this actually sounds good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFCLGwcBxzs

The best bit is in the main mode the audience harasses you, asking you to play certain things just like they do in real life when you're playing a small venue!

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 9, 2020

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Anyone have trouble with Pioneer hardware not recognizing Rekordbox volumes? I've got a couple of hard drives and SD cards that my CDJs don't like to read, despite them showing up and synchronizing fine in the software. They're the right format (FAT32) but they just don't show up on the CDJs and I can't think of any other reason why they wouldn't.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Anyone have trouble with Pioneer hardware not recognizing Rekordbox volumes? I've got a couple of hard drives and SD cards that my CDJs don't like to read, despite them showing up and synchronizing fine in the software. They're the right format (FAT32) but they just don't show up on the CDJs and I can't think of any other reason why they wouldn't.

You mean while using link? Sometimes I’ll have a player, that doesn’t have the usb stick, see the playlists, artists, keys and stuff but then says all the folders are empty. Usually I can load or delete a track from the tag menu, and suddenly it sees all the tracks in those folders. Ive tried loading a previous track and that made it see everything as well. Turning it off and on fixes too. This usually only happens once or twice a set and only with a couple of my usb sticks. Kind of annoying but I can quickly deal with it. This is with (3) xdj1000mk2 and a djm2000nxs, the players have latest firmware but the mixer does not.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Nah, not through link. Even the player local to the drive just shows 'NO USB'. I'm puzzled.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Watched some of Carl Cox's NYE Beatport stream.

Its not just that every track is a banger,

Or that he transitions seemlessly between each one.

Or that he can seemingly mix hard Techno, House Music, or any genre.

Its that he some how, broadcasting in an empty room to a stream of 10,000 people spamming twitch emotes, has incredible energy and enthusiasm for what he does.

Absolute legend.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I got to see him waaaaay back in the olden times, he’s been great for like 30 years.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Any fx pedal recs? Thinking of upgrading my numark m4 for an ecler nuo 2.0 and I'd like a re erb/delay pedal to go with it for the fx send. Preferably something smaller so it'll fit on my table beside the nuo

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

titty_baby_ posted:

Any fx pedal recs? Thinking of upgrading my numark m4 for an ecler nuo 2.0 and I'd like a re erb/delay pedal to go with it for the fx send. Preferably something smaller so it'll fit on my table beside the nuo

I'm interested too, actually. I want to put the effects send/return loop on my mixer to good use.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

titty_baby_ posted:

Boss pedals are usually a good starting place for reverb/delays.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I've been outta the scene for a few years and I feel like digging out my turntables but I don't have any needles/cartridges. I vaguely remember hearing that Shure stopped making the 44-7s and am wondering, if they did in fact stop making them, what are the new suggested scratch capable needles

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

site posted:

I've been outta the scene for a few years and I feel like digging out my turntables but I don't have any needles/cartridges. I vaguely remember hearing that Shure stopped making the 44-7s and am wondering, if they did in fact stop making them, what are the new suggested scratch capable needles

Yeah it's unfortunate but Shure stopped making carts entirely.
Ortofon anything are pretty much the go-to now. Just get what suits your style/budget.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Cool, thanks

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah it's unfortunate but Shure stopped making carts entirely.
Ortofon anything are pretty much the go-to now. Just get what suits your style/budget.

I've heard good things about the jinco replacements.

In other news, I've got an ecler nuo 2.0 coming in the mail with my trumpbux and an fx pedal coming in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
lol at still using stylii to scratch like some kind of neanderthal

titty_baby_ posted:

I've heard good things about the JICO replacements.

For real though I have a pair of these and they're fine. I don't scratch, but they track really well.