Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Has anyone sold their vinyl collection?

I haven't seriously played them in a lonnng time. I would love to free up some space / I don't want to pay for a storage shed, I don't want to move with them (not planning on moving soon but maybe) and I'd love to make some cash. I also think now is the time to sell, I don't see newer djs wanting to get into records, and the old guard is getting older.

Did you sell them individually on discogs or do bundles some other way? (Advertise on genre specific online groups?)

Do you regret selling? Really what kept me on the format was exclusivity of tunes but that's not an issue anymore. I spent the summer ripping most of the house I would play. And if there's something I'm selling I could just rip before shipping. I have this weird habit of not mixing formats I either play all digital or all vinyl.

I have pretty much every trance and progressive house tune released, a healthy collection of drum n bass, and then hundreds in random genres. Even the given lower value on discogs is a nice sum however I'm aware it would take years to get even that.

TLDR; what are your experiences selling vinyl collections? Worth it? Thanks

Virgil Vox fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Virgil Vox posted:

Has anyone sold their vinyl collection?

I haven't seriously played them in a lonnng time. I would love to free up some space / I don't want to pay for a storage shed, I don't want to move with them (not planning on moving soon but maybe) and I'd love to make some cash. I also think now is the time to sell, I don't see newer djs wanting to get into records, and the old guard is getting older.

Did you sell them individually on discogs or do bundles some other way? (Advertise on genre specific online groups?)

Do you regret selling? Really what kept me on the format was exclusivity of tunes but that's not an issue anymore. I spent the summer ripping most of the house I would play. And if there's something I'm selling I could just rip before shipping. I have this weird habit of not mixing formats I either play all digital or all vinyl.

I have pretty much every trance and progressive house tune released, a healthy collection of drum n bass, and then hundreds in random genres. Even the given lower value on discogs is a nice sum however I'm aware it would take years to get even that.

TLDR; what are your experiences selling vinyl collections? Worth it? Thanks

I think about selling my 2000+ record collection weekly haha. How many records do you have?

You might do better in the vinyl thread but the short answer is. Piecing out collections to sell online is an absolute pain and a total time sink but will potentially net you the most money. Selling the collection as a whole or in lots will probably net you a little less. Are you located somewhere that has a good scene? If so you might be able to find a local buyer and that will take the headache that is shipping out of the equation. If you have a good record store they might help you sell. Lastly if you just want to get rid of stuff fast and easy you can sell it to a record store but they are likely to give you a very low price. In my experience 50% of discogs price is really the highest you can expect, and that is only for in demand stuff that they can sell quickly everything else they will give you pennies on the dollar.

Here is the vinyl thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417644

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Unless you're willing to make it your full time job, you're not gonna make much, and if you do, at BEST you're probably just gonna lose a little less money assuming you bought them all new.

If you've already got them catalogued then it might be worth it to throw them all up on discogs at once and see what goes then yeet the rest when you need the space.

Personally, I would LOVE to stumble across a collection like yours. I go to my local record shop and just clean out their $1-3 "electronic" records every time I'm there.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I go to my local record shop and just clean out their $1-3 "electronic" records every time I'm there.
This is why I can't let myself get turntables again, I was a bargain bin fiend. White labels especially [most of them were garbage]

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

qirex posted:

This is why I can't let myself get turntables again, I was a bargain bin fiend. White labels especially [most of them were garbage]

I have so many garbage white labels and I love it.
The problem is that I also have some real fire white labels and sometimes they accidentally get mixed together and trying to find them again is PAIN.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

sporklift posted:

I think about selling my 2000+ record collection weekly haha. How many records do you have?

Close to 6000, 95% DJ 12" singles.

I'll admit I'm considering quitting teaching and need some sort of job to occupy my time while I figure out what to do next and a little income wouldn't hurt. So selling individually looks attractive. Not really in a area for buyers but I have a cargo van. Biggest closest city seems to have decent vinyl shops but no DJ specific ones and no one really plays out on wax anymore.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Personally, I would LOVE to stumble across a collection like yours. I go to my local record shop and just clean out their $1-3 "electronic" records every time I'm there.

This is the way. If you make a regular habit of always checking every bin you'll strike gold. I tell this story all the time but I found the entire Good Looking Records catalog in the used dollar bin. Got lots of collections this way.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Virgil Vox posted:

I'll admit I'm considering quitting teaching and need some sort of job to occupy my time while I figure out what to do next and a little income wouldn't hurt. So selling individually looks attractive. Not really in a area for buyers but I have a cargo van. Biggest closest city seems to have decent vinyl shops but no DJ specific ones and no one really plays out on wax anymore.

This is the way. If you make a regular habit of always checking every bin you'll strike gold. I tell this story all the time but I found the entire Good Looking Records catalog in the used dollar bin. Got lots of collections this way.

Yeah. 12" DJ singles are a tough one to sell to a shop. If you have them recorded on discogs already you might just sort out the valuable ones to sell individually on discogs and then group other ones in lots on ebay or mercari or something like that.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Virgil Vox posted:

I'm still vexed that I bought a Pontchartrain without opening the sleeve and it was def not Pontchartrain inside but I couldn't even be mad because it was $1.

I did find a whole grip of early 2000's techno that even the local record store wouldn't take at a local goodwill and picked them up during a week when they were the 'color of the week' so they were half off.

If you do wind up throwing stuff up on Discogs or whatever the least you could do is post a link up in here or the Vinyl thread. IDK how people feel about selling in these threads but you could just say "hey nerds check out my collection."

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

If you do wind up throwing stuff up on Discogs or whatever the least you could do is post a link up in here or the Vinyl thread. IDK how people feel about selling in these threads but you could just say "hey nerds check out my collection."

I think people are generally ok with selling in these threads. I guess you could throw the links in SA Mart to make it official and then link them to these threads. If anything it is cool to check out the collection.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

If you really want to browse: https://www.discogs.com/user/Virgil_Vox/collection

I'll crosspost a "did u ever sell collection" post in the vinyl thread too

also lol the thread title really needs an update

Virgil Vox fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 2, 2021

Super86
Apr 20, 2016
What are your thoughts on dedicated controllers (XDJ RX family for example) vs controllers requiring a laptop?

I've recently started an online course on Udemy and the first thing the guy tells you is to get a standalone controller. The reason supposedly being reliability (laptops tend to fail at the worst possible moment) and convenience (not having to carry the laptop around in the first place). But I can also see some pros in using the laptop. So what are your thoughts on this?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pretty much every big name DJ I see uses a laptop, even ones famous enough to have gear riders so I guess it’s just down to what you want to do. Obviously if you’re getting started a quality controller is a fraction of the price and IMO if you’re not fully committed to DJing as a hobby don’t drop 4 figures out of the gate. Also all the standalone systems have different features and usability and you should figure out what you like before buying anything expensive.

If Jazzy Jeff and Mixmaster Mike feel comfortable using laptops you should be too, unless you don’t like them and want to use vinyl or whatever.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Super86 posted:

What are your thoughts on dedicated controllers (XDJ RX family for example) vs controllers requiring a laptop?

I've recently started an online course on Udemy and the first thing the guy tells you is to get a standalone controller. The reason supposedly being reliability (laptops tend to fail at the worst possible moment) and convenience (not having to carry the laptop around in the first place). But I can also see some pros in using the laptop. So what are your thoughts on this?

Laptops are more versatile as a counter point. I’ve had mine fail (high temp), crash (it happens), or have software issues but I always have a backup plan anyways.

Watch out for gatekeeping in the dj community. Everyone thinks they know what is best, but only you can know what you want or need. Your budget, skill level, and goals/desires are what you should use to pick gear.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I love my XDJ-RX2. I've always hated being blinded by a laptop screen and when people don't see one they're less likely to make stupid song requests. It's in the same ecosystem as CDJs so you can play on a full Pioneer rig no problem if you know your way around one.

The only thing I regret is (this always seems to be my curse with gear) I didn't wait until Pioneer dropped a version with full-size jogwheels. Not really a problem for me since I rarely do rewinds but I do like the feel of a full-size wheel better than the little ones. Of course, the RX2 is gargantuan on its own.

Mitztronic is right, this hobby is full of gatekeeping. I was going to reply to qirex's assertion that 'all top DJs use laptops' and point out that in the jungle scene it's the opposite, but really it. Doesn't. Matter. Just get what you feel comfortable with and don't mind when people scoff at you for it, just play.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Super86 posted:

Depends on your goals and sorta what you play. Contrary to the above poster in the EDM world virtually no-one uses laptops and just rolls up with sticks. In the open format genres laptops are all but required. The technology is good enough that no matter what path you choose it will work well. I use sticks cause my sets tend to stick close to a single genre and I don't need to do any turntable tricks. I like not worrying about where a laptop/controller will go, I have redundancy with cloned sticks, and i'm not bugging the person before/after or soundperson by reaching over and plugging/unplugging poo poo. If your going to just play a handful of tech-house tunes for an hour then sticks are the way. But having a laptop is great for large libraries where you spin everything, and when you play multiple hours it's so much easier to search and organize, you also might have more control of effects/loops/production, and of course if your into turntables that's the way to go with DVS. I would look to what your scene or fav DJs are doing and copy that as a start

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

I don't really DJ digital much any more, but from what I have seen a laptop + phase controllers are pretty popular in clubs that don't have CDJs. That said, a controller with decent sound and a laptop can go a long way.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mister Speaker posted:

Mitztronic is right, this hobby is full of gatekeeping. I was going to reply to qirex's assertion that 'all top DJs use laptops' and point out that in the jungle scene it's the opposite, but really it. Doesn't. Matter. Just get what you feel comfortable with and don't mind when people scoff at you for it, just play.
I meant most of the ones I see, definitely not all. Most of the turntablists I follow play vinyl at home but tour with rips on laptops so they don’t have to carry and risk losing their records. You’re right, though, every scene has its own standards and just as importantly I’ve seen good djs with pretty much every possible combo of gear.

My main point was don’t be the person who thinks they need several grand in equipment to get started, figure out what you want to do first.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I want to get into a record pool but they all want proof that I'm "actually a professional DJ" and I'm definitely not. I just spin poo poo in my bedroom. I'm mainly a video guy and I haven't had many DJ's/events to work with through pandemic times so I figured I'd start spinning and streaming. Using Serato and a Numark Platinum FX I borrowed from a DJ friend.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I want to get into a record pool but they all want proof that I'm "actually a professional DJ" and I'm definitely not. I just spin poo poo in my bedroom. I'm mainly a video guy and I haven't had many DJ's/events to work with through pandemic times so I figured I'd start spinning and streaming. Using Serato and a Numark Platinum FX I borrowed from a DJ friend.

lie, they don't check

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Ask your friend to give you a quarter in exchange for a mix tape. You just got paid: boom, you're a professional.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Speaking of record pools, anyone have recommendations for either Tech House or Funky / Groove / Jackin' House or Nu Disco?

e: and I'm ready to accept that for specific genres (and no clout) it may just be better to follow specific labels on beatport/bandcamp etc.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 7, 2022

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Virgil Vox posted:

lie, they don't check

This worked. I'm in ZipDJ. Seems overly expensive for what they have.

Anybody mess with Roland's controllers with the sequencer on the top? Are they cool?

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

TVsVeryOwn posted:

This worked. I'm in ZipDJ. Seems overly expensive for what they have.

Anybody mess with Roland's controllers with the sequencer on the top? Are they cool?

Nice, I had zip DJ for maybe a month or a trail can't remember, but yeah I wasn't too impressed. I was really happy with DJ City for anything open format.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The toughest realization for every bedroom DJ is that they're never leaving the bedroom and shouldn't bother learning Pioneer gear so just stick to Traktor, baby.

At least I turned off beatmatch and the phase guide though.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

algebra testes posted:

The toughest realization for every bedroom DJ is that they're never leaving the bedroom and shouldn't bother learning Pioneer gear so just stick to Traktor, baby.

At least I turned off beatmatch and the phase guide though.

That's not a bad strat at all

There's so many talented bedroom only djs rocking numarks*

*or whatever it is now

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Denon personally (well for digital at least).
Which, surprisingly so is every other DJ in my neighborhood.

...oh yeah it turns out in my small neighborhood of like 25 homes there's at least 4 DJ's and a recording engineer.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Denon personally (well for digital at least).
Which, surprisingly so is every other DJ in my neighborhood.

...oh yeah it turns out in my small neighborhood of like 25 homes there's at least 4 DJ's and a recording engineer.

https://youtu.be/75pUDRiKgog

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Super86 posted:

Personally I went with the laptop and controller setup purely because back then the only dedicated controller with built in software was the Stanton SCS.4DJ and that only had two channels/limited connections and felt really cheap. It's personal preference at the end of the day but if you already have access to a laptop then it's a lot cheaper to buy a controller with the same level of functionality than it is to buy a standalone. Just a casual glance at the Pioneer site their 4 channel standalone is $2400, their 4 channel controller as $1349 and will work in the exact same way. Plus if you ever take you stuff out places to DJ then you can pull music down on the fly on a laptop, an all in one is limited in that sense unless things have changed recently. Then when you get there you can more easily tweak sets, fire tracks onto USBs if you decide to use the venue's kit etc...

One thing I do notice though is that Pioneer's $1349 DDJ-1000SRT (SRT - Serato specific) won't work with Rekordbox. My cheaper old DDJ-SX will happily use whichever software I fire up. That seems like a lovely thing to do, Pioneer.

*edit: I'll add that I've never had an issue with my laptop deciding it didn't want to DJ and I don't keep the thing locked down like I know a lot of other DJs do as a very DJ specific laptop. I play games on it, download poo poo... Never had a problem.

beeaar
Dec 16, 2005
Any advice on a good cheap VDJ mixer to get? Mostly looking to chop n screw and just mess around mixing a bit.

Looking at these two right now but open to other suggestions. Preferably something that comes along with non-crappy software that lets me hotkey various actions to keyboard keys, and easily record.

The previous thing I had was an M-Audio virtual mixer that came with Torq and that worked great (..10+ years ago)

https://www.amazon.com/Numark-Mixtr...B087S28ZRM&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Numark-Party...119&sr=8-3&th=1 (not a fan of the silly lights.)

beeaar fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 3, 2022

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
For about the same price you can pick up a second hand Traktor Kontrol S4 MK2.

Much better build quality however you'd need to learn to use Traktor. You can bind almost anything to the keyboard in Traktor although unless you are doing something extremely esoteric it'll probably be on the S4 itself.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

I don't know if I'd be able to help either way but do you mean Video Djing or Virtual DJ?

beeaar
Dec 16, 2005
Just virtual DJ. Sorry, I should have clarified that.

fat gay nonce posted:

For about the same price you can pick up a second hand Traktor Kontrol S4 MK2.
Thanks, I'll look into that. Where should I go about looking for this? Like, ebay or something? I'm sketchy about buying second hand equipment. What makes Traktor so much better?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Are you married to Virtual DJ? The cheaper Pioneer rekordbox controllers aren't terrible:

https://www.pioneerdj.com/en-us/product/controller/ddj-400/black/overview/

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I guess, as the guy who wrote the Hercules drivers for Mixxx and Linux, i should throw in that Mixxx is free and does a lot of stuff, and that you can get a Hercules MP3e2 pretty cheap on eBay. There are worse ways to start out.

beeaar
Dec 16, 2005

TheWevel posted:

Are you married to Virtual DJ? The cheaper Pioneer rekordbox controllers aren't terrible:

https://www.pioneerdj.com/en-us/product/controller/ddj-400/black/overview/
My impression was that "virtual DJ" just means a DJ mixer with tables that can play mp3s rather than physical vinyl records. Is that not the case? Does "virtual DJ" indicate something much more specific that I'm not aware of?

I'm not 'married' to the idea, in fact I do have some vinyl and would like to get vinyl turntables eventually too, but right now with my current budget and what I want to spin it just makes more sense to stick with mp3s, because most of the things I want to chop up aren't even on vinyl or physical format this point. But I'm open to the advice on here as well, like maybe some sort of setup that will let me eventually integrate vinyl? My knowledge on all this is basically at 0, so I'm sorry for coming off like a total n00b here. :honked:

That rekordbox looks pretty nice, and it's within my price range.. what is the advantage of that vs the stuff I posted (other that it doesn't look like a children's toy)? Just more professional? It will still be easy enough to record mixes with this, right? I'm looking to just hit a button... not hook up a bunch of wires to other hardware that hooks up to other wires .. etc.. :jamez:

And thanks cruft, I am checking out that Hercules MP3e2 thing on ebay. The thing is that it's from 2009, I'd probably like something more recent with some sort of warranty, and probably something a little bigger as well, but it's definitely not a bad suggestion and I like how portable it looks. I'll probably get back to this if I decide against all the other stuff. It's def a cheaper option. And the software being free and flexible is a plus.

Thanks guys, I'm open to any more information or any other suggestions, so far these have been good though. :gaz:

beeaar fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 4, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Virtual DJ is a brand name of a specific DJing software, generally considered to be entry-level (but still quite capable). VDJ, Traktor, Rekordbox and Serato are most of the major players in the DJ software game.

What you're looking for is a controller: a box with a number of buttons, knobs, faders and ideally a pair of platters. That connects to your computer via USB and interfaces with your DJ software of choice to give you more hands-on control of everything from track playback to mixer volume and EQ. Nobody likes DJing with their keyboard and trackpad - I've done it, it's awful.

Some controllers also double as audio interfaces - nearly every Native Instruments (Traktor) controller and Pioneer controller, for example. This means that as well as controlling the software, they are the hub for getting analog audio signals into and out of your computer. They're a dedicated soundcard, essentially, and their converters are likely much better than your computer's internal one.

So you need a computer in almost all cases. A lot of companies have begun making standalone controllers which don't require a computer at all, but they are really expensive. Since you probably already have a computer, the simple controller route is your best bet. And there are loads of options out there at many different price points.

Figure out first which software you're going to be using. Fundamentally they're almost all the same, but some software lends itself to certain DJing styles better than others. This is a broad generalization, but DJs who do a lot of scratching tend to prefer Serato, and DJs who mix more than two tracks at a time tend to run Traktor. VDJ is fine, lots of people dump on it but if you're just playing tracks together you really don't need anything else - I know a couple of guys who ran a funk & soul night for like a decade and never used anything else.

Once you figure out which software you're going with, find a list of compatible controllers and weigh what kind of features you're going to want easy access to. I'd second the suggestion to go with a used NI (Traktor) controller if you can afford it. They are fairly robust, and if you get it refurbed through a decent music retailer it'll be good-as-new. I got back into DJing about 12 years ago on a Traktor S4, and I loved that thing.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have a Pioneer DDJ 400, having used even cheaper controllers in the past I think it’s great. I mostly use djay as the software. Traktor is fun, it was the first system I tried but Native Instruments doesn’t seem particularly interested in it anymore. Most people use Rekordbox or Serato nowadays. If you’re trying to go as cheap as possible Mixx and a Hercules or Numark is a decent choice, if $250 is ok for you I think the DDJ 400 is the best deal going.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

I would also recommend a baby pioneer controller like the ddj400. Native Instruments doesn't have a great track record supporting their older gear and honestly I'm surprised they are still around. You'll wake up to a software update that will completely nerf your gear. Pioneer will be robust and supported for at least the near future. Unfortunately the entry level controllers don't have a vinyl pass through.

Couldn't go wrong with either of these, serato/rekordbox are both great.

Roland DJ - 202 would be a good controller for serato.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srg-QtEHpwI

DDJ400 - for pioneer record box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6-dSpRCp0w

^ I used to post on a DJ message board with that dude , cool to see he's still in the game, big ups.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I'm kinda throwing around getting cdjs. I have turntables but lol at this point digitizing my vinyl seems easier than gigging that way.

What number do Pioneer cdjs start getting good? I'm seeing 800s that are around what I wanna pay, 1000s for more, then the 2k/3k well outta reach. When do they start playing USB sticks as well as cds?

Are Denon ones decent? Are they gonna mess me up if everywhere I might play is pioneers? Any other brand to consider?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I wouldn't get anything older than a CDJ900, personally. The older ones take ages to load and good luck searching for tunes on a three-line LCD display.

The irony of touting 'large clear display' as an important feature is not lost on me, as someone who has been known to jokingly prod at laptop DJs.