Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

For uplifting trance just listen to a bunch of Gatecrasher and Euphoria mixes and pick your favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Dug out the Concorde's I haven't even had a chance to use yet. I haven't really had a reason since ditching Serato, but I might give them a go just because of their looks.

Gonna spring for a Serato Pro license after Easter and see how well DVS pass-thru works with the SC5000 and x1800 :getin:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
PLEASE report back. Anyone else with experience with their other ones in the current lineup too.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

keevo posted:

CK isn't what you want for deep house/uplifting trance. It's more for open format DJs. I'm pretty sure they have a couple songs on there but you're better off buying a bunch of songs on Beatport.

I literally said in my post CK isn’t what you want for those genres but a subscription service is far better value if you can find one that is a better fit.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

revmoo posted:

PLEASE report back. Anyone else with experience with their other ones in the current lineup too.

Yeah I've had the s-120 and it wasn't great. The needle wore out real fast and it didn't sound all that good. My M44-G were definitely a step up.

Super86
Apr 20, 2016

keevo posted:

CK isn't what you want for deep house/uplifting trance. It's more for open format DJs. I'm pretty sure they have a couple songs on there but you're better off buying a bunch of songs on Beatport.

Regarding Beatport, I use Juno Download. I've found it has generally better prices, especially when you buy whole albums. However everybody seems to recommend Beatport. Is there something I'm missing?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Super86 posted:

Regarding Beatport, I use Juno Download. I've found it has generally better prices, especially when you buy whole albums. However everybody seems to recommend Beatport. Is there something I'm missing?

Beatport generally has a lot more content and also has exclusivity with a lot of labels for new releases. Used to be 4 to 8 weeks from street date but I don’t know if that’s still the case. If you’re just casually buying whatever, Juno is fine

Since you don’t really know any of the music, I would start with charts (top sales for the different genres, charts put together by DJs you like or recognize), and then branch out from there

Super86
Apr 20, 2016

vanilla slimfast posted:

Since you don’t really know any of the music, I would start with charts (top sales for the different genres, charts put together by DJs you like or recognize), and then branch out from there

Thanks for the advice. I'm following it with great success. It never occurred to me that "popular music" could intersect with "music I like", but I actually do like many tracks in some of the charts I'm finding.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

If you're willing to listen you'll likely find a lot of music you'll love in all sorts of genres you'd never have thought... and liking what you're playing is half the battle.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Any of y'all use Chew.TV to stream/host your mixes? It's gaining a lot of traction with my DJ friends who do the streaming thing - because all the major platforms are hot garbage and inevitably nick their sets for copyright infringement - so I figured I'd give it a try.

Last night (well, at like 4AM after work) I decided to try out my Sony FDR-X3000 camera to record a short, off-the-cuff D&B set. As with anything I do, there were naturally some obstacles. First, recording in 4K overheated and shut down the camera after only 10 minutes - I really hope it's a battery issue. Second, of course, uploading the mix video to YouTube had it flagged for copyright (why do they let you keep it on your channel if nobody but you can view it?). And lastly, I uploaded it to Chew.TV this afternoon and it's still 'pending review'.

I guess what I'm asking is, if you have experience with this platform, how long does it take for uploads to pass review?

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Is there a service or person I can pay to make my music library not an absolute disaster and put genres and energy levels on things

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

abuse culture. posted:

Is there a service or person I can pay to make my music library not an absolute disaster and put genres and energy levels on things

I need this but for a few hundred 45s I just bought.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
It’s only like 300 songs. I will literally pay you, noble gentlegoon reader, to do it

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

abuse culture. posted:

It's only like 300 songs. I will literally pay you, noble gentlegoon reader, to do it

I don't have enough time to organize my own collection much less someone else's haha. I wish I could help.

With Shure discontinuing their phono products, is there a cartridge/stylus I should look into for DJing vinyl? Will mostly be playing records but will probably use a DVS as well. I am currently using an Ortofon S-120 (OM) and I don't have any complaints for the price. I do like the look/feel of the concorde design and am wondering if there is a model you all would recommend. A poster in the vinyl thread said that the S-120 tends to wear out pretty quickly.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

MrSargent posted:

I don't have enough time to organize my own collection

I have time but I always feel like that time is better spent doing absolutely anything else.

I ran through an old HDD recently pulling old tracks off, I had a playlist of 277 hours. I managed to fire through it in about 8 and keep the stuff that was actually decent (though I'll likely never play).

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

MrSargent posted:

I don't have enough time to organize my own collection much less someone else's haha. I wish I could help.

With Shure discontinuing their phono products, is there a cartridge/stylus I should look into for DJing vinyl? Will mostly be playing records but will probably use a DVS as well. I am currently using an Ortofon S-120 (OM) and I don't have any complaints for the price. I do like the look/feel of the concorde design and am wondering if there is a model you all would recommend. A poster in the vinyl thread said that the S-120 tends to wear out pretty quickly.

It was me. I said that.
You can still get Shure M44G's but like I said, they're discontinued so eventually you won't be able to find needles. Jico makes replacements, but they track twice as heavy as the sure OEM needles so they'll be a little rougher on your records.
Either way, just be glad you didn't drop big money on a pair of Shure White Labels the day before Shure made the announcement.

Anywho, all of the Ortofon Concorde MKII line is pretty good. Just pick the type of stylus that you think best fits what you'll need it for. The Ortofon MKII Mix is probably the best value all arounder, but if you're spending that kind of money then you might as well spend the extra couple bucks and get the Concorde MKII Club unless you really need a scratch needle then get the scratch.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
If anybody comes across NoS Whitelabel needles LET ME KNOW.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I've started a new series of mixes, completely unplanned across four decks. I'm recording them with video from a Sony FDR-X3000 Action Camera on my head (later down the line I might grab another camera for a second angle), but unfortunately I've run into a few snags, chiefly among them being that Chew.TV is having hosting issues and my video uploads have been 'pending' for a week now.

So here's the audio for the first two test runs:
ACTION STATIONS (test mixes)

One mix is Bass House & Breaks, the other is Drum & Bass.

You'll notice that there are a few pops & clicks in the audio; I think it's time to give up on the S/P-DIF connection between my DJM900 and Scarlett 18i20. Other than working out that kink (and Chew.TV fixing their poo poo), in the future these mixes will be longer, and obviously will have video - maybe even in 4K if I can figure out why the camera is overheating and fix it.

Anyone know of any other video hosting/streaming platforms similar to Chew.TV?

mitztronic I've sent you a PM about starting a new DJ Mixes Megathread, since the old one seems to be archived.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

The only thing I'm missing for playing out are speakers, as all I have are studio monitors. I've got a line on 2 used mackie thump 15s with stands and xlr cables for $500...good deal?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Thumps don't get loud enough imho. I think the JBL EON series is a lot better...at least a much higher SPL than you'd get from the Mackies. I guess it depends on the size of the room and the amount of people.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
you're playing in venues that don't have their own PA?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yes, let's talk portable PAs. I've wanted a portable system that I can take to house parties and stuff for some time, and I've got some cash to burn this year.

It's established that EONs are pretty solid, but are there any comparable powered systems (with a sub, obviously)?

The NYE party I played at a friend's house was powered by the tiniest little Peavey amp and speakers, no sub. It was hilarious.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

What’s your budget? Are you in US? What kind of music will you be playing? Crowd size?

If by house parties you mean in an actual house I would go with one or two powered 12” or 15” for subs and 10” or even 8” for tops. You’ll get some crazy room gain putting those in a corner, and it will be portable, fitting in a car and light if you have to move it over stairs. I don’t particularly like the EONs but admittedly haven’t heard the current generation. If you got the $ I would do Yamaha DXR8s and a DXS12. This would be perfect for a house or small group outside, killer for a practice session at home, but short for a wedding gig or school dance.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Yeah I've heard good things about the Yamahas. IMO the JBL SRX series is solid but a bit more expensive.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

PA talk: it's better to have too much than too little. Roll in with a big system and you can turn it down, roll in with a small system and find it's not loud enough you'll crank it, it'll sound poo poo and you'll eventually kill it. Having outboard EQ/RTA will make everything sound so much better too. I've been in places that have spent $250k+ on a system and it sounds worse than a joint that's spent 10% of that because the latter place has set it up properly.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Those of you who use drum machines/performance pads/synths/etc...
How do you integrate them into your setup? I have a 4 channel mixer (Denon x1800) and 7 decks, so I'm kinda out of space already. I use the input selection and stack multiple decks per track to make use of everything but I don't think that will work well for me when I add an 808 and synth.
Do you use multiple mixers? If so then how do you monitor them in your headphones?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Ah, the DJ in its pupating phase before metamorphosing into a Live PA producer.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Mister Speaker posted:

Ah, the DJ in its pupating phase before metamorphosing into a Live PA producer.

I mean, yeah pretty much this.

Right now my biggest concern is being able to drop out of 4 simultaneous loops while using the 808 and a synth drone to hold the beat so I can start slowly building up the next part of the mix.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The whole 'live PA' thing is something I've thought really hard about at a few points in my life - seeing the Chemical Brothers at 15 years old, getting bored of DJing years later, and general pangs of it when something cool and new comes out and my GAS flares up. Honestly, I barely write any music anyway, and seem to find a lot of joy (and spend a lot of time) in 'systems integration', for lack of a better term. Bringing home some new drum machine or effect and tweaking my setup so it works seamlessly, without latency, at a knob's turn to add flare to a mix of stems from tracks I'll never finish.

Ableton Live was a huge rabbit hole (and honestly still is); I bought a Traktor Audio10 and connected it to my DJM900's line ins with the intention of being able to use the channel select to switch out for a track in Live (kinda think the dual USB interface feature on the new DJMs would be clutch for this purpose), but unfortunately I never really had success slaving Live's tempo to the MIDI out of the DJM, and couldn't determine whether it was Live or the mixer at fault. I waxed fantastic about going syncless, and wondered if it was possible to write a Max script to control Live's tempo and bend with a platter/pitchfader controller, effectively like a fifth deck. I still wonder about this.

Then Traktor came out with their Stems format and that's almost exactly what I wanted to do with Live but effortless, which kind of sucked the fun out of it - I've largely moved away from using Traktor outside of planned 'radio mixes' anyway.

Your comment about multiple mixers and cueing is one of the biggest noodle-scratchers for sure, poo poo can get really convoluted when you start using a headphone mixer and have to worry about which channels are in the cue path, where they come in and how loud they are.

Have you looked into the Roland AIRA MX-1? That little guy really appealed to me when it first came out as a solution for integrating at least some of my synths and my KP3 as an effect loop, mixed down to run into a spare mixer channel. But natch, this inevitably ramps up the complexity and involving Live makes that even worse; if you actually planned on taking it places, investing in a PedalTrain and some Velcro would be necessary. It's still a dream of mine to have a setup involving my APC40, Audio10, various synths and the actual stems/MIDI tracks to play, but it would be such a mess of cables, digital routings and MIDI mappings that I'd never be able to take it anywhere. I think the Live PA artist dream is dead for me (at least for now), and I should really focus on writing more actual music anyway.

As for the other 'PA' discussion:

Virgil Vox posted:

What's your budget? Are you in US? What kind of music will you be playing? Crowd size?

I'd like to be able to get a system with sub for under $3k (CAD), I'm in a place where I have a bit of inheritance to spend on music career stuff and other hobbies. Primarily D&B, some dubstep, breaks and bass house. I'm not expecting to have something to compete with any local venues or soundsystems (lord knows Toronto has well 'nuff quality touring soundsystems for the bigger jams like Nuit Blanche and the recent upswing of warehouse jams), just something I can rent out or bring to a house/cottage/chalet party. This is still almost as much of a pipe dream as the above Live PA stuff... gently caress, I don't even have a car. Hahaha

Those Yamahas look nice, Long & McQuade has them too, maybe I'll go check 'em out sometime. They might even be overkill for my purposes, though.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 20, 2019

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I've looked at the Aria MX-1 for sure. I was considering it when I was looking to build a setup apart from my turntables. I was considering it alongside a TR-8s, Novation Mono Circuit, and an MPC of some sort.

Then the MPC Live came out and I got distracted and debated that over the Pioneer Toraiz sp-16. Then I got completely fixated on an all in one standalone production instrument. Then the AKAI Force came out and I'm pretty sure that's all anyone would actually ever need. HOWEVER... I think I'm like you in that putting all the pieces of the puzzle is half the fun. I like building chains and twisting knobs and bleeping bloops and working all my subtle sounds into a cohesive track and then obliterating all of it by dropping into a classic track that turns into a mash-up with something else and so on and so forth, but I digress.

I can see clearly the DJ path and method and associated signal chain.
I can do the same for the 'performance' part of it including live sampling.
The hard part is marrying the two, particularly into a single pair of headphones.

Part of me wishes I had the time to just sit down and really hash things out in Ableton or Traktor, but I barely even have time to listen to music let alone produce it. That's why I really like the idea of flipping tracks and also being able to add in my own things spontaneously.

I totally agree with you on Stems format though. I'm reminded of this flash game from the late 90's where you click a few squares on a matrix of sounds and VOILA a whole song comes spewing out of your computer speakers. Effortless and unsatisfying.

edit: I'm not trying to be the next Richie Hawtin or anything but I wouldn't mind knowing how he does it.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 21, 2019

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Those of you who use drum machines/performance pads/synths/etc...
How do you integrate them into your setup? I have a 4 channel mixer (Denon x1800) and 7 decks, so I'm kinda out of space already. I use the input selection and stack multiple decks per track to make use of everything but I don't think that will work well for me when I add an 808 and synth.
Do you use multiple mixers? If so then how do you monitor them in your headphones?

A lot of recording mixers have an aux mix function which allow you to send a separate mix to headphones and/or a pair of monitors. So for the channel(s) you want to hear in headphones you just turn up their respective send pots. Allen & Heath mixers also have a headphone solo button for each channel which operates about how you would be used to. Even their cheapest recording mixer has that functionality which definitely comes in handy.

As for the specific routing, I would connect the headphone out of the Denon into the tape-in of my mixer and assign that to the aux mix. If you're planning on routing the Denon into the mixer for the main mix then you'd plug that into a separate channel.

There are also headphone mixers and switches you may want to look into so you won't have to sacrifice an input on your mixer. In any case, most non-DJ mixers are really flexible with their routing, so you should be able to find something that'll do what you want.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

edit: I'm not trying to be the next Richie Hawtin or anything but I wouldn't mind knowing how he does it.

Checking out the mixer he helped design might offer some insight :v:

susan b buffering fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 22, 2019

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

skull mask mcgee posted:

Checking out the mixer he helped design might offer some insight :v:

well poo poo I did not know that was a thing.
That makes this basically a solved problem.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Would really like to try mixing on that Model 1

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Also:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwVOa15HydT/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1nk67nl04lfwa

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

That Model 1 seems like Richie just wanted a tiny version of a PA mixer from the 80s. :v:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Video is finally live for one of the test-runs mixes I recorded with an action cam on my head. Oddly, it's not the D&B one I uploaded over a week prior.

Enjoy what ~22 minutes of unplanned Breaks and Bass House selections across four decks looks like from my POV. Or don't.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I'm kinda bad still but here's a mix if anyone wants to yell at me.
https://soundcloud.com/z0d14c/zenmix-1

Super86
Apr 20, 2016
I'm looking for a subscription service to jumpstart my house collection. But all of them demand you to be a professional DJ (some of them apparently even review you). I'm just a bedroom DJ; is there any service I can use?

The thing is I want to get my hands on several hundred tracks to have some variety. Compilation albums with a good "cost per track" and full length tracks would also do, but I don't find many of those. Any suggestion?

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Super86 posted:

I'm looking for a subscription service to jumpstart my house collection. But all of them demand you to be a professional DJ (some of them apparently even review you). I'm just a bedroom DJ; is there any service I can use?

The thing is I want to get my hands on several hundred tracks to have some variety. Compilation albums with a good "cost per track" and full length tracks would also do, but I don't find many of those. Any suggestion?

For a record pools, bpm supreme worked great for me for house of all genres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I don't think a lot of these record pools check to see if you're a "professional DJ".