Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I'm about to get a MacBook pro since I have no laptop and I'd like to move away from my beloved Technics into digital DJing.
Is there any specific stuff I should be looking out for when buying my mac or will a basic one (13 or 15' btw?) do it.

Once I get my laptop I'll have to get me a controller not sure which yet, quite interested in the S4 also the Allen and Heath DX is awesome a friend of mine has it but I'm not sure I can afford that, it's quite a bit pricey. Are there any other controller I should be looking at?

I'll be mixing D&B by the way around in Switzerland.

Any other advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
does the 15'' hiress screen really does that much of a difference?
Also a mate of mine is telling me to get the 7200rpm hard drive because Serato/Traktor would not be able to cope without it? I'm calling bullshit on this but what do you guys think?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Sjoewe posted:

:words:

Twiin posted:

melee beats posted:

Professorbx posted:

Thanks for the advice guys, since I'll be using only Traktor I won't get the 7200 RPM hard drive but I'll get the hiress screen.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
So the new Macbook Pro are on the Apple store, I guess this is more than enough to use Traktor and a S4?
Any use to get the 7400 rt/min hard drive or is that just overkill?

Mac Store posted:

2.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
4 Gb 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2 Gb
Hard Disk Serial ATA de 500 Go 5 400 rt/min
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display
Clavier rétro-éclairé (Suisse) & Guide de l'utilisateur (Français)

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I'm this close of clicking on my checkout button on a macbook pro 15' and a Native S4. Please goons convince me that spending all this money is going to be worthwhile :downs:

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Well of course, Pioneer being Pioneer means it costs a way bit more for a controller that is not THAT much better imo. I like the S4 look and feel

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I'm finally going to buy a macbook pro 15'', as for the customisation I'm going to get the Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display and the applecare plan.
I'd like to run an S4 and Traktor with that, should I get something else, like a better hdd or something else or will it be fine?
I'll be using it at gigs and stuff of course.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Rivfader posted:

The only other upgrade you could consider is going for a SSD harddrive, but it's no necessity. Standard 7200 RPM HD will do just fine.

Other than that a new Macbook will run what you want like a charm.

Thanks, I heard that it would be better and cheaper to just get a standard SSD which isn't as expensive as the apple ones and install it yourself, is that correct?

Also at the moment I have the 5400 RPM HD, would that cripple me or would it suffice? The 7200 is more expensive

Firaga posted:

The only thing I can recommend is to up the specs, more ram, more hdd space. That stuff never hurts. Otherwise you'll be fine, enjoy.
I am running an older white macbook with 4 gigs of ram, a core 2 duo and 500gigs of hdd space with my S4+Traktor Pro 2 and I never have drops outs or lag or crashes or anything. My latency is set to 8.4-ish?
Speaking of which I need to clean this thing. Just make sure you take care of it and don't fill it with crap!

I didn't thought about getting a Macbook instead of a Macbook pro, would you advise me to go the Macbook or Macbook pro route?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Rivfader posted:

If you're going to go for an SSD definitely buy one yourself and install it, never upgrade with Apple, they unfortunately charge too much. Simply leave the basic 5400 RPM in and switch it out yourself (same goes for a normal 7200 RPM).

With regards to 5400 vs 7200 RPM, the latter is preferable and the difference in read and load speeds is noticeable, albeit not to the point where it's absolutely mandatory. Traktor has a buffer, meaning that once a song is loaded in the disk speed no longer matters. It simply affects the time it will take for Traktor to start-up, songs to load and new stuff to be copied etc.

I'd advise getting a Macbook Pro, if only for the 15' screen which is preferable over the 13' of the White Macbook. Spec-wise they'll both do fine.

awesome bit of advice there sir, thanks a lot

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
yeah seconding the don't drink too much before a set argument, I was the type of dj that would sometimes get hammered before my drum and bass vinyl set and it wouldn't end well most of the time, making stupid beat matching mistakes and lovely mixes.

Drink a little to get the nerve off and go for it !

Also, Macbook Pro 15'' is going to be with me very soon, then to get an S4 I suppose. My bank account will hate me forever, I wish Apple's prices weren't so retardedly high in Switzerland...

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
yeah same for me, I was considering ordering from djtechtools cause even with shipping it be a few hundreds cheaper than I can get it here (Switzerland). But in case something goes wrong or whatever you're screwed.

Going to order from a local store.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Horrido posted:

I was checking beatport for some tracks for the first time... and what the gently caress 1euro fee for wavs?

Should i suck it up and pay more or stick to mp3s?

I personally only use mp3 and I think it is sufficient but I have a friend who is a bit pedantic about it and swears he hears a difference between mp3 and wav (which I very muchly doubt so..) so he pays the fee for the wavs. Also since wav is not compressed audio, it is a bit faster to load the tune in tratkor (or should be a bit faster)

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I'm very new to Digital Mixing (have been using MK2 for 10 years or something) and I was wondering if you guys had advice on some good controllerist to watch to get ideas and see the possibilites?
I have an S4 and I feel I'm doing very limited stuff, need a bit of inspiration.

If it can help I mainly mix Drum and Bass, with a little Dubstep.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Firaga posted:

To all you S4 brothers out there, do yourselves a favour and check out DJTT's S4 bag.
http://www.djtechtools.com/store/gear/traktor-kontrol-s4-bag.html

It will save you 30 pounds of weight on the coffin, and you can carry the rest of your poo poo in it too! Its cheaper and if you buy a good laptop stand it will add up to be around the same. Also, it's not branded! I love the Traktor logo but nothing screams STEAL ME like product logos on cases.

yeah been trying to get a hand on this for a long while but as you can notice, the bag has been out of stock for quite some time now. They were supposed to get a new batch at end of july but nothing new yet.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Firaga posted:

My friend actually owns this bag and I think he got his right before they went out of stock, its really great and built very well. They have been changing the ETA though which means its coming. It said 6-8 weeks before, now it says 1-3. It's too bad because I've been playing lots of gigs these past 2 weeks and I've had to carry the drat thing around in a big rear end camping bag and it looks silly. But hey, better than the box.

The NI bag is a suitcase. It has wheels and a little handle and I'd imagine it's really great, but once again too bulky for me. Maybe if you fly a lot. I can see it being more rugged than the DJTT bag. Also its like $250...

oh cool then, I've been really waiting for this one particular bag.
Going to a gig with a camping bag is quite classy I think!

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

THAT drat DOG posted:

I learned to play songs together on Traktor with a Numark TotalControl, but I learned to mix music with vinyl+torq/serato. I would love to take a kontrol S4 and do dirty things to it though. That looks like a controller worthy of replacing my 1200s. Why not take both and combine a set of 1200s and an S4?

yeah that's a nice setup, I don't know if the deal is still up for grabs but I got a free copy of Traktor Scratch cause I bought an S4.

I feel that learning to beatmatch is way easier on vinyl because you don't have all the distraction of traktor and sync buttons handy and beatmatching is always a skill useful to have.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Guys I need your expert's advice about library organization.

I'm running on a Mac book pro with Traktor and I'm trying to find a way to not gently caress up my library like I just did by simply using iTag to rename my files. The problem is that now the iTunes playlist seem to reference tunes that aren't there any more since they've been renamed. They play nicely in iTunes for some reason (?!) but when I import playlist inside Traktor I get tunes is corrupt or missing message.

Also I hate the fact that iTunes playlists don't synch when they are imported to Traktor (if I add a new tune to iTunes playlist it doesn't show up in Traktor and I have to import the playlist again...)

So basically I think I'm going to set a workflow when adding new tunes.

First, is iTunes really the best/only tool I should use to manage my tunes? I don't really like iTunes :eng99:

So here is how I'm planning to do it.

- Buy/Get new tune
- Run Mixed in Key
- Run iTag to rename tune using id3 tag info
- Add tune to iTunes
- Add to playlist etc..
- Import playlist to Traktor
- Never ever touch this tune again

Any input or suggestions on this? Is there any better way to do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

vanilla slimfast posted:

Silly question, but why are you going through all the trouble to rename the files? If you're always using the metadata, either within itunes or traktor, the filename doesn't really matter? Seems like you are making things overly complicated with that step.

That being said, the naming of the files you get by default from Beatport are kinda a pain to manage when you're not looking at the metadata. Use their pro app (if you're on a Mac), or the Beatport Downloader (which is cross-platform) to use a more intelligent file naming scheme.

I agree that Traktor's iTunes integration leaves a lot to be desired; this is the one place that Serato still wins on, hands-down.

Traktor Pro-Tip: If you moved a bunch of files and they are now not able to be located, there's a quick way for Traktor to relocate them automagically. I don't know if this works for renamed files, however. Select all the files you care about (or your whole collection, if you like), right-click and select "Check Consistency" This is helpful for not only finding missing files, but also files that haven't been analyzed. From that dialog you can then specify whether to analyze the un-analyzed files and search for the missing files (just point it at your root music folder).

You can also enable a setting to do the consistency check on startup, if that's your thing

But I like having all my mp3 nicely named :(
I might leave that step out

Thanks for the tips