Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

Perhaps with mod approval we can get a stickied topic for a week or so for voting?

To do a big megamix, we'd need someone to be able to stitch all of the pieces together and that's a pretty tall order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Splinter posted:

Could just pass the mix around and have everyone add theirs to the end.

The problem with that is that to record for the next person, I'd end up having to let serato play 40 minutes of the previous goons input, only to have me screw up one transition and have to start all over. Not to mention we'd need to pass the entire file in lossless format which will start to get too large to pass around if we have more than 3-4 DJs.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Splinter posted:

I'm thinking more along the lines of everyone being responsible for stitching their part onto the end of the file they received before sending it on to the next person. That way some poor guy isn't stuck having to guess how each part is supposed to mix with the previous one. You could work with the last 30-60 seconds of the previous mix in Serato then splice your part onto the main mix.

I agree that lossless would be a problem after the first few participants, so I think we'd have to use MP3. Yeah, we'd lose some quality re-encoding the mix 6-8 times, but I don't think that's a big deal for a ML collab.

I've done this successfully on another site...lossless (WAV is best) will be fine if we're only passing the last 2-3 minutes of someone's segment, but we had a volunteer splice the tracks together

DJ A mixes the opening 10 minutes.
DJ A sends the mix (in wav format) to the Splicer.
Splicer sends the last 3 minutes of DJ A's set to DJ B
DJ B sets his pitch to 0 and starts mixing into the final 3 minutes of DJ A's mix
DJ B sends his new ~13 minute wav file (2-3 minutes of DJ A + 10 minutes of DJ B) to the Splicer.
Splicer sends the last 3 minutes of DJ B's set to DJ C
etc.

When we're all done, the Splicer puts it all together, uses VBR MP3 compression and voila, we've got a forum-wide megamix.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

You can scratch with a controller or cdj. I'm sure its some what difficult giving the job wheels don't move. As too, a vinyl always turning.

But I wouldn't know for sure. I'm no scratch dj.

it's possible to scratch on cdjs, just ask Bad Boy Bill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nKhJutK8ck

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

oredun posted:

I really really like the b52 matrix systems. Have a look at those.

I also have a B52 Matrix system. I couldn't be more satisfied.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

melee beats posted:

So something with my Serato boned me pretty bad in front of about 600 people last night. First, I lost tracking on a live record randomly (cleaned stylus, checked connections and everything) so I had to switch to INT. Then it happened again. I switched needles (from Ortofons to M44s) and it happened again later, even with a strong signal. My left deck kept jumping in Serato (no, not the needle) when I was trying to drop records. This isn't the first time this has happened to me either, and it's annoying as gently caress, especially because I played four hours with an NS7 previously and had 0 problems. Anyone have any suggestions when this happens? It really only happens when I play out, and I make sure everything is calibrated.

If the signal bar was clean (white, instead of red) then it sounds like it's a problem with your laptop. Did you have a chance to take a look at your signal waveforms?

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

If you can't beatmatch, it's going to be very hard for me to respect you as a DJ, let alone refer to you as a DJ. Leaning on the software (Traktor, Ableton) to do the hard work for you takes the whole idea of being a DJ and throws it in the toilet. At that point, you're a glorified jukebox.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

That Wicked Walrus posted:

This is stupid.

DJing is, for the most part, playing dance/club music for drunk people. Nobody on the floor knows or cares how you're playing music, they want to dance and take drugs and hopefully get laid at the end of the night. You're there to play music and as long as the output sounds good then you're doing a good job. If you play for the Real Dudes on the floor who know about DJing then you're doing it wrong, unless you're Qbert or something.

I don't care what equipment any DJ uses. I've played with people using every single kind, from controllers to Serato/Traktor to vinyl to Ableton to CDJs and everything in between. You can kill it with any of the above, and you can be terrible with any of the above.

Seriously, if you want some laughs go ask any of your non-DJ friends about DJ equipment (club girls are best for this). I asked a friend what she thinks is going on when a DJ has a laptop on stage and she had literally zero clue. Nobody gives a gently caress, use any equipment you want, just play good songs and mix them well and you're cool.

So what you're saying is, an ipod and a DJ do the same job, so therefore because the dancefloor is too stupid to realize it, it's all ok.

I have a little more respect for the people that listen to my music than to assume they have no idea what I'm doing. Most of them WANT to know what I'm doing and will oftentimes ask me what's going on. This is why my radio show is also broadcast via video because some people are interested in the mechanics behind it.

I also never said that Ableton or Traktor is bad and that you have to DJ one certain way to be respected. I said that if you can't beatmatch, you don't really get to call yourself a DJ. I still stand by that. Many of my DJ friends can beatmatch and regularly do, even if they use Ableton for their live performances.

My point was that if you can't mix two tracks together without the help of effects or autosyncing, then I don't respect you as a DJ.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Haledjian posted:

I have a tech problem, not sure where to go with this. I have turntables and Serato, and a microphone. I run the turntables and mic through a UA-25 midi interface, unplugging and plugging in whichever I'm using at a given time.

Except the other day, I had the turntables plugged into the UA-25, which was plugged into the computer, and went to plug in the Serato box, and Audacity gave me an error about USB ports that I can't remember. After that, Audacity wouldn't record anything at all. I ended up reinstalling the UA-25 drivers, which allowed me to record with the mix again, but as soon as I swapped for the turntables on the UA-25, Audacity started saying "there's a problem with the recording device" again.

Probably a long shot but this sound familiar to anybody?

PS For what it's worth I also have a Wacom pen tablet that can't even turn on when plugged into this computer, but works fine on my laptop. Hope it's not the motherboard I bought less than half a year ago.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but why would your turntables be plugged into the UA-25?

Turntables and mic should be connected through the serato interface (SL1, SL3, etd), then to your mixer. Your mixer output should plug into your UA-25, which should allow you to record whatever's going through your mixer.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Haledjian posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant. Mixer outs go to the ua25.

So when your UA-25 stops working, do you still hear audio from your master (from the mixer)? If so, this sounds like a problem with the UA-25, moreso since you said that by reinstalling the drivers you were able to get a signal again.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

The Dark Wind posted:

Are there any videos of DJs playing complete sets, with a view of the mixer and all the stuff they're doing? I feel like if I could just get a good look of what someone is doing during a typical night I could learn tons. Hell, if any of you guys just ran FRAPS or something during a set and uploaded it somewhere that would be fricking amazing (although I imagine FRAPS might give some problems with Audio latency and what not). In either case, a video of someone DJing like they normally do would be an awesome resource.

It's Drum & Bass, but here's a video I made for fun a few weeks ago that's all overhead: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/13029906

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

THAT drat DOG posted:

Should I throw my SL1 on eBay to snatch up the Rane SL 2 or is it not worth it? Slower USB 1.1 and supposedly shitter sound quality hasn't really been a problem with the SL1 but would the SL2 be that much bigger of an upgrade?

Honestly, I'd hold out for an SL3 or SL4 if you're thinking of upgrading. The SL2 doesn't look like it adds a lot to the SL1, it seems like more of a sidegrade.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

THAT drat DOG posted:

Yeah SL3/4 is too expensive and I don't really need the extra features, two decks is perfect and if I need to add another deck I just add a CDJ and use that as a sampler/extra deck. Just hope they don't stop supporting the SL1 since they said on their page it's being discontinued.

Rane has fantastic customer support and wouldn't expect a drop in support for the SL1 for a while. Most Serato DJs I know have and use one regularly.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

The Dark Wind posted:

It looks like I'll be doing my first official gig next Saturday opening up for another DJ at a house party. I was at their place yesterday, they have nice lighting effects and a sound system. I'm gonna be bringing my sound card, Numark Mixtrack, and my laptop. Question is, how does one usually hook up a laptop to a house mixer? Do I bring my RCA cables and just hook em up in the back of the mixer? Also any other random advice and tips or whatever would be super appreciated.

Yep, just plug your RCAs into one of the channel inputs and you should be good to go.

Edit: Also, if anybody has advice for mixing drum and bass and dubstep in the same advice, that'd be cool too. I'm guessing just switch in drops after breakdowns of another, although I feel like that could get kinda messy.
[/quote]

Transition tracks (as mentioned above) work the best. There are a lot of dubstep/drumstep/DnB hybrid tracks coming out that would work well for you.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

This is how you push buttanz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8sORf4me0k

Edit: On a more serious note. Serato 2.0.0 + have been such unstable pieces of poo poo. I've gone from wanting to keep my SL3 just in case Serato decides to get their game together to considering to throwing it up on eBay. Serato has hit a sharp decline in the last year in terms of being completely unfocused on wether they want to update Itch (lovely) Bridge (lovely) or Serato (lovely).

I couldn't disagree with you more, I think the updates they've made in 2.x are fantastic and reaffirm that I made the right DVS choice.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Professorbx posted:

Problem is, SSL 2.0+ is either a wonder system for you or it crashes constantly. I have had to do insane amounts of tech support for friends who have had issues where their waveforms simply stop working, audio drops, etc. As well, if you have an SL1 with any Core i3/i5/i7 system, you are pretty much hosed as soon as any serious power management kicks in.

Heh, makes sense given I use an SL1 with my dual-core celeron laptop :colbert:

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

relative_q posted:

That's kinda what I was afraid of. Stupid thing costs $800...

There's always the SL2, but that's more of a sidegrade.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Professorbx posted:

So, the goon DJ machine I managed/worked on, the Stanton SCS.4DJ just got released, and I (or my tattooed arms) was in a commercial we shot for the unit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxDTLtFoYUs

We filmed the set live from a million different angles and used one run through for the audio track, so it is kind of cool to have a performance up somewhere. Anyway, Best Buy's all over the USA have it in stock now-try it out and let me know what you think!

This is actually really cool. If I wasn't a vinyl/serato DJ, I'd be all over this.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

phractured posted:

Now that the 1200s are discontinues, is there going to be a new go to table besides refurbished 1200s? If so could someone help me out with the advantages and disadvantages of some tables out there. Thanks!

I don't know anyone who's bought a NEW pair of 1200s in the last 5 years. The reason they stopped producing them is partly due to how healthy the used market is for these TTs. They're built like tanks and there's always an ad up on craigslist for a pair (even in Indianapolis).

As for the new "go-to" table...it'll still be the 1200 for at least another few years.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/13029906
I've mounted my webcam from my ceiling so that viewers can watch what I'm doing. Luckily, I record most of my ustreams.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

JohnnyMondo posted:

Finally made the leap to digital, so I have a couple small questions. I'm not going to be using iTunes, but I have a question about how to keep your Serato library updated.

I typically grab tracks that I'm going to DJ with, and keep them in a separate folder from my itunes library. So when I add 20 new songs to that folder, do I just click and drag the whole thing into Serato? Or is there a way to tell Serato "scan this folder every time you boot up" ?

Do you guys tag cue points and loop points on everything, or just do it as you go? I've been loading up a song, I set a cue point at the start, a second at the big drop, and a third with a loop on the last big section. I figure if I start running out of time I can loop out the ending if I get in a bind. Any tips for a digital newbie?

Edit: I decided to just do 320 MP3 for everything, I think I'll run out of space a little too quick if I go for lossless, and everyone I've talked to seems to think 320 is totally fine. I've been listening back to 320s on all different systems, and I can't really tell a difference. Anyone really ride for lossless?

You don't need to use iTunes at all to use Serato. Simple drag-and-drop works just fine if you'd rather not deal with iTunes.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

I figure this is the right place to post this: I'm looking for more tunes with tempo changes. In particular, I'd like to find something that transitions from House (or maybe Breaks around 130) to D&B. I can obviously ramp up the tempo across a few songs but I'm under short time constraints - and I hate having to use Freeze Reverb because I think it's pretty cheeseball.

My 'crew' and I have started playing out regularly but we've kind of gotten the short end of the stick at the bar we have a regular night at - spinning on the same nights as big festivals or events at said bar, etc. But some bigger opportunities on the horizon have got me excited. This Tuesday a couple of us are playing at Nocturne (that's why I'm looking for that transition track) and it's actually going to be streamed live online!
https://www.musicneversleeps.ca
https://www.frenchkissfm.com
https://www.afterhoursdjs.org
should have the stream if anyone's interested. These are exciting times! I still have much to learn but it feels so good making people dance (and lose their minds) and being able to play out my own stuff. It's increased my studio productivity like craaaaay.

Camo & Krooked have a few tracks with short housey interludes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdIoLYjrrKQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtmwja_jIFQ

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Batu posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations for mixers that aren't too pricy? Recently got two turntables from a friend so I'm looking for something that I can use to start to play with them but I'm also an eternally broke college student.

There's a lot of expensive recommendations in this thread. There is absolutely no reason to spend over $200 on your first mixer, as long as you're ok missing out on the cheesey effects/special features. I used a Denon DN-X100 for years before I bought a Pioneer mixer. There's one on ebay for $135 right now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Denon-DN-X100-DN-X100-DN-X100-DJ-Mixer-2-channel-/310506701736?pt=US_DJ_Turntables&hash=item484ba443a8

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

MP3Tag is also very helpful for fixing ID3 tags and/or filenames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

oredun posted:

So my pioneer mixer pooped out on me. Does anyone know the fastest best way to get pioneer to fix it? So far ive never even been able to through to support on the phone(this scares me) and can only communicate via email with them. I looked for authorized repair place near me but there isnt any.

What model? Pioneer mixers are fairly ubiquitous so most electronic repair shops should be able to handle it.