Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«102 »
cis autodrag
Jan 6, 2012

that's just applause from ghosts

Gary’s Answer

Mr. Nice! posted:

Pancrase was worked more often than not.

how dare you imply that my bas rutten self defense tapes have not adequately prepared me to dang da dang da dang an attacker on the street

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

also good to note

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

He is I, and I am him

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

In addition I think elbows are very seldom used in sparring because it's difficult to practice them safely (you don't want to slice up your sparring partner's face), so most fighters don't have a lot of practice either throwing or defending against elbows.
Agreed -- you see some gyms (mine included) having students using elbow pads and headgear, but people are generally too ginger with elbows to tune those strikes to fight-ready.

quote:

Also MMA fights frequently go to positions on the ground or in the clinch where the distance is too close to punch effectively, while elbows can be throw effectively in very short distances.
Elbows are allowed in Muay Thai, and the Thais have made an art of it. I assume because the pro fighters get so much practice with them in the ring that it makes up for less alive sparring time.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

I don't promote fights, I pick fights. I'm better than Jon Jones. I'm better than Sean Combs. I am even better than John Holmes.

kimbo305 posted:

Agreed -- you see some gyms (mine included) having students using elbow pads and headgear, but people are generally too ginger with elbows to tune those strikes to fight-ready.

Elbows are allowed in Muay Thai, and the Thais have made an art of it. I assume because the pro fighters get so much practice with them in the ring that it makes up for less alive sparring time.

Here is the best example by the best ever for the uninitiated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70YMVPb3IWo

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Captain Log posted:

Here is the best example by the best ever for the uninitiated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70YMVPb3IWo

Anderson saw that elbow in one of the Ong Bak movies and told his coaches he wanted to learn it but they absolutely refused, so he practiced it at home on his wife holding couch pillows

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

I don't promote fights, I pick fights. I'm better than Jon Jones. I'm better than Sean Combs. I am even better than John Holmes.

chaleski posted:

Anderson saw that elbow in one of the Ong Bak movies and told his coaches he wanted to learn it but they absolutely refused, so he practiced it at home on his wife holding couch pillows

I was going to add that and forgot - thanks!

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

He expended too much energy and got tired

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Mr. Nice! posted:

There were worked fights but I don't think there's any evidence bas rutten fights were rigged, and they certainly didn't look like it. Bas was legit really good.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Dangersim posted:

There were worked fights but I don't think there's any evidence bas rutten fights were rigged, and they certainly didn't look like it. Bas was legit really good.

Its one of those things. Because some fights were worked its hard to give all of them credibility. There were definitely a lot of stoppages bas pulled off where someone got hosed up whether or not they were taking a dive.

Either way bas was legit in his day.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Here's a question; how much of this was "this is the guy who's winning because Yakuza money says he has to" and how much of it was "go out there and put on a super good show, even if that means doing things that wouldn't be the best move for a fight-fight type fight because the crowd of Yakuza heavies wants blood and guts"? Some of both?

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

There weren't even rumours of Yakuza involvement in pancrase iirc. It wasn't fixed fights, it was sometimes pro wrestling and sometimes real fights

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Pride, on the other hand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Bluedeanie posted:

Pride, on the other hand...

Only Space Jesus knows if certain fights were fixed.

«102 »