Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«107 »
Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
https://i.imgur.com/xhkDqVS.jpg

Goons are trash and a putrid forum culture is the reason why nobody new registers. At best you're 30+ year old failed twitter "comedians" and tolerate this pig because he has the same normie sports hobby as you do.

Barao is the evolved form of Tibau.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 16, 2003
;(

of course its an overstatement to say hed be poo poo but I was comparing him to tim sylvia and poo poo came to mind

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

Respect the Land

I would say Bar„o was never that bad but his post bathtub career hasnít proven otherwise. Heís a hardheaded dude who hits hard and is good on the counter and impossible to take down, which is probably good for top 15 at 145

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This is a spectrum. Every dude around UFC level is going to have some type of athletic and skill advantage over average people. But McKenzie compared to the top 25 of whichever division he is giving blood for this time is at an extreme athletic disadvantage. Prime example is Mendes blasting a hole through his guts.

Cody McKenzie: Marc Stevens is probably better than me too. Probably has better cardio. Probably hits harder. Better scrambles, better overhand right, better wrestling, better stall tactics.
Nam Phan: OK, so all that said, what do you bring to the table?
Cody McKenzie: I'm gonna win.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

You canít post that without the companion video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M80HqjHvV0

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

You canít post that without the companion video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M80HqjHvV0

On the short list for the best in-cage TUF moment.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

I am sad that Nam Phan was pretty crappy. He is a cool dude.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Fat Twitter Man posted:

I would say Barão was never that bad but his post bathtub career hasn’t proven otherwise. He’s a hardheaded dude who hits hard and is good on the counter and impossible to take down, which is probably good for top 15 at 145

Barao was always really good at range with a jab, leg kicks and excellent take down defense. When someone could slip and get inside he'd get really wild - wouldnt roll his shoulders or reset his hands etc. Tj exploited the gently caress out of that.

His downfall was kind of two fold in that he was struggling to stay at 135 and the cut was becoming dangerous and his chin started to go around the same time.

He has good outside skills but when they would fail him in those few instances at the mid point of his career he could bite down and trade and come out ahead. When he lost the latter ability he started his backslide really quickly. Having said that his losses came against dillashaw, Stephens and sterling which is a pretty good group.

The sterling one was a bit weird but he got the poo poo kicked out of him in the 2nd after sterling bumrushed him with punches, clipped him and landed a takedown.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

I don't think I've ever seen someone use a cross guard with their lead hand above their rear hand before like Romero and I wonder if anyone here has and knows why he does that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

He is I, and I am him

vainman posted:

I don't think I've ever seen someone use a cross guard with their lead hand above their rear hand before like Romero and I wonder if anyone here has and knows why he does that

My guess is that it starts with his relatively narrow stance and lack of upper body movement on defense. Romero is committing to blocking the cross at the expense of missing some jabs. It's crazy to see him use strength to stop a full power cross by meeting it with his forearm. When Rockhold tripled up the jab, it slipped under the quadrant covered by Romero's right forearm.

Romero's not great at answering back right away, so he doesn't suffer the drawback of using the lead arm to block and having it out of timing for an answer. Similarly, he's not taking care to set up any immediate counter crosses or uppercuts, so the low rear arm across the body isn't a detriment.

«107 »