Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is there a website for long form journalism on combat sports? Not articles on who won the recent fight, but deep dives on fighter biographies, gym drama, etc etc. Like, a breakdown of what went wrong in Rhonda Rousey's training and career would be an example of what I'm looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is there a website for long form journalism on combat sports? Not articles on who won the recent fight, but deep dives on fighter biographies, gym drama, etc etc. Like, a breakdown of what went wrong in Rhonda Rousey's training and career would be an example of what I'm looking for.

Those aren't very profitable for the websites. When you come across one you like, look up the author on twitter and follow him. It tends to be the same 2-4 guys writing them all. One good one is: https://twitter.com/ChuckMindenhall
https://www.themith.com/

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jack B Nimble posted:

For more analysis on their fighting styles, you can't go wrong with anything Jack Slack puts out.

http://www.fightprimer.com is his website

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I'm in the wrong thread and I don't know why

Tampa Bae fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 3, 2022

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i went to a bjj class and during the course of it we were practicing the rear naked choke (it was a beginners class cause im a beginner), but the guy i was partnered up with couldn't get it to actually work on me.

both me, the guy, and the instructor assume hes doing something wrong so the instructor corrects his technique and it still doesnt work on me, it just makes me cough.

so the instructor tries it on me. it doesnt work, it just makes me cough. the other instructor tries it on me. it doesnt work, i just cough.

at this point i am really curious because the rear naked choke had been kind of built up as an 'oh poo poo game over' type of deal, and in the spirit of scientific inquiry i ended up having five different people try and get it to work on me. every time the pressure of their forearm bone just ended up on my windpipe and on my neck muscle but not on my artery. nobody had ever seen anyone it didn't work on.

my guess after some discussion is that because i have a condition called EDS where my tendons are basically lovely, my muscles do a lot more work than the average persons, so my postural neck muscles are overdeveloped in a weird way. combined with being a tall guy with a thick neck i think my arteries are basically kind of recessed in a divot between my neck muscles and windpipe.

im pretty sure it would work on me if someone didnt care about injuring me, they would just have to compress my neck enough to get the arteries. as it is ive got a pretty sore throat lmao.

idk if anyone else has ever heard of this, it could be a common thing that it just happened nobody i knew had heard of.

but it was good fun feeling like a superhero for a little while

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What belts are the instructors? High level, i assume.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I trained with a guy who was notoriously hard to choke, the experienced black belt even had trouble during drilling. Very rare for him to tap to a choke while rolling. He was small-ish with a small neck, but in the average part of the spectrum for a guy. No idea why he was so resistant to them.

That's the only one though.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I know of a dude who had his throat cut and didn't hit an artery for the same reason. Or maybe it only just nicked one of them.

Paramedic telling me the story was from Ireland and he claims ear to ear red slash and the dude survived.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

juggalo baby coffin posted:

every time the pressure of their forearm bone just ended up on my windpipe and on my neck muscle but not on my artery.

Well that’s your problem right there

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
possible answer: poster has shy arteries that refuse to be compressed

more likely answer: jiu jitsu isnt real

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

never has been and im sick of people pretending like it is or was as a jape

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

It’s like aikido, it only works if you believe in it

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

LobsterMobster posted:

possible answer: poster has shy arteries that refuse to be compressed

more likely answer: jiu jitsu isnt real

every once in awhile, someone remembers you can just step over the bjj person and completely neutralize them

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
FWIW I'm noticeably hard to choke with anything that requires my own shoulder, so various kinds of triangles. But it's not "impossible", you just have to get it a bit better set. My black belt instructor essentially said it was to an unusual degree but no great mystery, I just have very narrow shoulders and a thin neck, so there's just more space there that has to be removed compared to big dudes.

(Triangle choke big dudes)

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Check out Sean Sherk vs Evan Dunham. Some people just have the right physique/body to be naturally harder to tap with certain chokes.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

choking out a muscle shark is a lot more difficult than a human, tbf

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

Eat This Glob posted:

choking out a muscle shark is a lot more difficult than a human, tbf

Sharks don't have necks...

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

They do, but they're just too smooth to get a proper grip on.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Freudian slippers posted:

They do, but they're just too smooth to get a proper grip on.

incredibly smooth

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Could someone post one of the most important image in Combat Sports, jokes.jpg?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

MassRafTer posted:

Could someone post one of the most important image in Combat Sports, jokes.jpg?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thank you.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i went to a bjj class and during the course of it we were practicing the rear naked choke (it was a beginners class cause im a beginner), but the guy i was partnered up with couldn't get it to actually work on me.

both me, the guy, and the instructor assume hes doing something wrong so the instructor corrects his technique and it still doesnt work on me, it just makes me cough.

so the instructor tries it on me. it doesnt work, it just makes me cough. the other instructor tries it on me. it doesnt work, i just cough.

at this point i am really curious because the rear naked choke had been kind of built up as an 'oh poo poo game over' type of deal, and in the spirit of scientific inquiry i ended up having five different people try and get it to work on me. every time the pressure of their forearm bone just ended up on my windpipe and on my neck muscle but not on my artery. nobody had ever seen anyone it didn't work on.

my guess after some discussion is that because i have a condition called EDS where my tendons are basically lovely, my muscles do a lot more work than the average persons, so my postural neck muscles are overdeveloped in a weird way. combined with being a tall guy with a thick neck i think my arteries are basically kind of recessed in a divot between my neck muscles and windpipe.

im pretty sure it would work on me if someone didnt care about injuring me, they would just have to compress my neck enough to get the arteries. as it is ive got a pretty sore throat lmao.

idk if anyone else has ever heard of this, it could be a common thing that it just happened nobody i knew had heard of.

but it was good fun feeling like a superhero for a little while
Sorry for the month late reply, but we had a one similar person years ago at my gym. A slightly built young Indian guy who was unchokable through RNC even by some of the best grapplers in the world. Although we never had a clear explanation, we assumed that he just had some very rare anatomical variation that protected his carotids within the neck and made then impossible to compress sufficiently with lateral pressure. It's very very rare. So rare that in decades at one of the largest and best known BJJ gyms in the world we have only had one person like that out of literally thousands of people who have passed through the doors. It's not a super big advantage because if people know that they'll just use a short choke and compress the trachea.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 6, 2022

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Where did the new sub forum name come from? Who is this Jase?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3388320

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

EDIT: Figured it out. RIP Jase.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 24, 2022

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

Where did the new sub forum name come from? Who is this Jase?

A winner.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Open Marriage Night posted:

Who is this Jase?

The quick story is a guy who grew up with his uncle in pool halls, so as a teenager he turned to pool hustling. Nothing could ever touch the rush he got from gambling and winning, and he did so with gusto his entire life. He lost a lot, as all gamblers do, with many of those being more than cash losses. I know he's been stabbed and had the crap beat out of him as a young hustler, because people don't like losing.

Jase spent a life as a professional gambler and was a god damned legend at it. Gambling led him to riches and literally the love of his life. Gambling also crossed him over into our world, where he would bet large sums of money on goon suggestions and win a lot. It was quite a bit of fun, as you can see by reading the thread.

He used his gambling profits to be a success in the business world, and he helped a lot of little people out along the way. He was an awesome dude, and we're worse off with him gone.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
I'm watching DAZN boxing tonight and a guy sounded like Frank Shamrock was commentating. Which leads me to the question, what ever happened to Frank Shamrock because I remember he got braces to do more desk work and I haven't heard anything about him in years.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

I'm watching DAZN boxing tonight and a guy sounded like Frank Shamrock was commentating. Which leads me to the question, what ever happened to Frank Shamrock because I remember he got braces to do more desk work and I haven't heard anything about him in years.

He posts on social media occasionally.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Dreadful

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Holy poo poo, we’ve gone 116 pages in 11 years.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

those rankings in the op are something else

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Gonna study that frame data

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
not really extremely relevant but it's combat sport adjacent and i thought some people might find these things interesting.

a guy once made an entire film to diss jackie chan. lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjOyr9VbM9A

also, apparently it came to light last year that bruce lee was likely dependent on cocaine for some time before his death and regularly used a shitload of other drugs.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2021/7/...juana-hash-acid

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

I recall hearing him actually dying due to an allergic reaction to hash which caused his brain to swell, but I don't know if that's true. Supposedly he almost died from it once before and they told him he needed to stop but he was already living that kind of lifestyle.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

The story was that he took an over the counter pill for a headache, but was allergic to some of the ingredients. The drug letters kind of put this in a different perspective, IMO.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I'm probably going to regret asking this, but it's really irritating me: the news keeps referring to Andrew Tate as variously 'a champion kickboxer' even occasionally 'a four-time world champion kickboxer'. Since pretty much everything about him is fake, this is complete horseshit, right? He doesn't look like he could fight his way out of a wet paper bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Torquemada posted:

I'm probably going to regret asking this, but it's really irritating me: the news keeps referring to Andrew Tate as variously 'a champion kickboxer' even occasionally 'a four-time world champion kickboxer'. Since pretty much everything about him is fake, this is complete horseshit, right? He doesn't look like he could fight his way out of a wet paper bag.

He's kickboxing accomplishments are less legit than Stephen Thompson's Georgia state IKSA shiny pants karate stuff

As far as I know, Tate was never in a major organization.