Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Memento posted:

Just watched Lomachenko/Rigondeaux and it was a boring shitshow. Couple of questions.

Did people who know anything about boxing (I do not) think it was a boring shitshow as well?

Why did Rigo keep ducking so low?

Was his excuse for quitting legit? It seems like of you're going to injure your hand you might maybe need to have landed a punch or two.

Please educate me as to whether this fight was all it was cracked up to be or if people who know what they're watching agree with my bad takes.

Context matters. It wasn't a particularly entertaining match in a vacuum, but it should not have been possible to do what lomachenko did to Rigondeaux. That's what was so amazing.

The ducking is a major part of Rigondeaux's defence and was very effective even in this fight.

No idea if the excuse was legit, I'd love to think so so I don't have to live in a reality where someone is that much better than Rigondeaux, but funnily enough I think he was just outclassed, and quit out of frustration.

No it was not all I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
It was like Cruz vs Cody. Even if you could see Loma winning it was hard to imagine it would be that dominant, so even if the minute to minute stuff was boring, it was really mindblowing at the time

Like, between the two there were 4 gold medals and a combined amateur record of like 800 and 12. It was a fight between the greatest amateur boxers ever and it was a blowout

As for the ducking thing, I can write a longer post if you want but basically Loma took away his other options and the only adjustment Rigo made was to try to blow Loma harder

vainman fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 10, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Memento posted:

Why did Rigo keep ducking so low?

If you're the smaller fighter, and the bigger fighter keeps coming in on you, ducking is a workable way to get under his weapons to his waist. It's hard to punch that low and at short range with power. Loma had to pivot out to land those lead uppercuts on Rigo.

quote:

Please educate me as to whether this fight was all it was cracked up to be or if people who know what they're watching agree with my bad takes.
As soon as I saw them close in on the opening bell, I wrote Rigo off. The size difference was insurmountable, especially against an extremely technical fighter like Lomachenko.

Even so, the fight was not boring just to be able to see Loma stay balanced every step of every movement, coming in and out, side to side, with incredible precision, anticipation, and orchestration of his opponent's actions.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

kimbo305 posted:

As soon as I saw them close in on the opening bell, I wrote Rigo off.

really? i gave rigo the first (just) and it looked like the beginning of exactly the fight i thought it'd be. from the second on though, nadda

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

kimbo305 posted:

Even so, the fight was not boring just to be able to see Loma stay balanced every step of every movement, coming in and out, side to side, with incredible precision, anticipation, and orchestration of his opponent's actions.

This is a really good paragraph to me. I get that my appreciation of any boxing match is always going to be tempered by my lack of knowledge of the sport and I simply couldn't see what was going on at anywhere near this level.

Thanks for the explanation on the bending over as well, coming from watching a sport where doing that will get you kneed into the shadow realm it just seemed bizarre to me.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Memento posted:

I don't really know where to put this, but the BONE BREAK pictures in the new MMA and Wrestling Picture thread have reminded me of a kickboxing fight I saw maybe 15 years ago. One dude was wearing a grass skirt in this fight, and six seconds after it started, the other guy went down with a broken fibula. Like seriously, fighters close in, couple of punches to test the water, low roundhouse kick, guy falls over, ref call for the bell.

Does anyone else remember this fight? I swear I'm not dreaming. I've googled kickboxing leg break, but there are so many I might have just made this particular one up.

Also I went through my old posts in this thread because I'm waiting for code to compile and I figured out what this fight was. Stan Longinides vs. Dennis Alexio. Dennis was wearing the grass skirt and had his leg broken in a handful of seconds.

December 6th, 1992. I didn't make it up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu1lbRfdQfY

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

really? i gave rigo the first (just) and it looked like the beginning of exactly the fight i thought it'd be. from the second on though, nadda

Rigondeaux definitely held his own in the first as both were probing, but I saw that size distance and knew he wouldn't be able to get out of it on skill.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've always liked watching BJJ in MMA matches but I only just started watching actual BJJ matches regularly and related things. What the hell was up with this Eddie Bravo and Renato Laranja thing going on years ago? I know who the actor is but what is happening with any of these interactions, including what is obviously a worked fight at Eddie's gym. Is it just Eddie being loving insane?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I've always liked watching BJJ in MMA matches but I only just started watching actual BJJ matches regularly and related things. What the hell was up with this Eddie Bravo and Renato Laranja thing going on years ago? I know who the actor is but what is happening with any of these interactions, including what is obviously a worked fight at Eddie's gym. Is it just Eddie being loving insane?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhnh3uURuGY

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I saw that I was just wondering if there was ever an explanation for what the impetus of the relationship and worked rivalry was

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Entertainment

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Just doing some moderately-drunken Fightpass watching, and tracking some Bantamweight title fights. Couple of questions:

What happened to Renan Barao? Just couldn't cut it once the level of competition stepped up?

And what's the thing that Brazilians in the crowd chant when their dude is fighting?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Memento posted:

Just doing some moderately-drunken Fightpass watching, and tracking some Bantamweight title fights. Couple of questions:

What happened to Renan Barao? Just couldn't cut it once the level of competition stepped up?

And what's the thing that Brazilians in the crowd chant when their dude is fighting?

They're chanting something to the equivalent of "you're gonna die" at the non - Brazilian fighter.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
UH, VAI MORRER

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Memento posted:

My hypothesis is that Barao declined for psychological reasons, damage, and the weight class move. TJ - Bathtub - TJ would have been rough on his brain, rough on his health, and rough on his confidence.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
He was good but not bathtub good

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
manyak was dead on about barao before the precipitous fall even happened. he called him an attributes fighter

it bears out in the fights. he gets tagged and dropped but his chin, endurance, recovery, speed, power etc. get him back in the fight and he won over the long term

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bundt Cake posted:

manyak was dead on about barao before the precipitous fall even happened. he called him an attributes fighter

it bears out in the fights. he gets tagged and dropped but his chin, endurance, recovery, speed, power etc. get him back in the fight and he won over the long term

additionally, he had extremely good takedown defense.

the writing was on the wall in the eddie wineland fight. eddie took him to school in the first, but everyone except for manyak just forgot about it when renan landed that cool spinning back kick in the second.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Marching Powder posted:

additionally, he had extremely good takedown defense.

the writing was on the wall in the eddie wineland fight. eddie took him to school in the first, but everyone except for manyak just forgot about it when renan landed that cool spinning back kick in the second.

I was very proud of my boy Eddie for winning that round and very angry at the judges and writers who thought Barao won the round.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Bundt Cake posted:

i like those kinds of fighters the most

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Most elite fighters are attribute fighters. Who're the physically least gifted fighters in this era who get by on wiles and technique? For a long time, I woulda said Joe Lauzon. Mike Pyle?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

kimbo305 posted:

Most elite fighters are attribute fighters. Who're the physically least gifted fighters in this era who get by on wiles and technique? For a long time, I woulda said Joe Lauzon. Mike Pyle?

Maia?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Darren the Damage Elkins is on a 6 fight winning streak.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Darren the Damage Elkins is on a 6 fight winning streak.

his attribute is "takes punches really well"

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

kimbo305 posted:

Connor mcgregor, unironically. Well his attribute could be crazy weight cutting

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

LobsterMobster posted:

his attribute is "takes punches really well"

His body morphs like Doomsday, explains why he's so goddamn ugly.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Wild Horses posted:

Connor mcgregor, unironically. Well his attribute could be crazy weight cutting

Conor mcgregor had like a foot of reach on guys at fw

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
When i think non attribute fighter i think jon fitch, jake shields, donald cerrone, etc

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

Machida in his prime wasn't much of a physical specimen.

I think Fedor is the ultimate example of this. When my dad saw him fight he said he looked like a used car salesman.

Also the Diaz brothers. They've got reach and good chins, but had way less muscle than their opponents.

None of these guys is close to the top these days though.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

david carmichael posted:

When i think non attribute fighter i think jon fitch, jake shields, donald cerrone, etc

Forrest Griffin.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

George Sotiropoulos was a spoiled oil magnate's son trapped in a 70 year olds body

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

david carmichael posted:

Conor mcgregor had like a foot of reach on guys at fw

See: nutso weight cut
He’s a lot less impressive at lightweight.

Diaz brothers are retardedly tough and have cardio better than anyone.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Wild Horses posted:

He's fast, hits hard even at 155, and has chin to make up for his undeveloped defense.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jeremy Horn was the ultimate skills only fighter and it showed.
Chael? He seems decently strong but it's hard to tell.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Wild Horses posted:

Diaz brothers are retardedly tough and have cardio better than anyone.

He still has a big reach for lightweight, and an average reach for welter

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

Jeremy Horn was the ultimate skills only fighter and it showed.
Chael? He seems decently strong but it's hard to tell.

Chael was incredibly physically weak until he got on the secret sauce

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

david carmichael posted:

Chael was incredibly physically weak until he got on the secret sauce

Has he said if he was juicing for the first Anderson fight?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

kimbo305 posted:

He was juicing for every fight.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

He did and he failed the gently caress out of that drug test anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Fozzy The Bear posted:

He was juicing for every fight.

he is definitely off the juice now that he is in bellator though