Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

I.N.R.I posted:

theres no way they will be throwing anything they intend to land with it

This isn't true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This isn't true.

well, i personally sure wouldnt do it. obviously im not a fighter but if i threw a punch with a broken hand it would just be for the sake of going through the motions. since even if the mind is willing, theres always going to be some subconscious barrier or something making you pull back a bit. i suppose it comes down down to how you think

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
http://en.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/28047.html

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I don't like Chuck getting KO'd but this was pretty cool, and Rich Franklin was pretty cool.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

cant argue with that ... good work mister franklin

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Rich broke his left arm blocking a kick. He knocked out Chuck with his right. It even says so in that article.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

I.N.R.I posted:

well, i personally sure wouldnt do it. obviously im not a fighter but if i threw a punch with a broken hand it would just be for the sake of going through the motions. since even if the mind is willing, theres always going to be some subconscious barrier or something making you pull back a bit. i suppose it comes down down to how you think

For the first few tries, you might not even know it was broken. Just that it hurt / didn't function quite right. There might not be any subconscious limitations if the adrenaline is running high enough.
I think it mostly comes down to how bad the break is.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

"Roguelikes"*

*Latest Fad
i can't think of a time when someone has hurt their opponent with a broken hand but i'm sure it's happened.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Foul Fowl posted:

i can't think of a time when someone has hurt their opponent with a broken hand but i'm sure it's happened.

Wasn't that also Rich Franklin? He broke his hand in the middle of beating the fighting soul out of David Loiseau.

"I broke my hand."
"Keep punching, it'll go numb."

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

GSP: "I hurt my groin"
Greg Jackson: "I dont care, hit em with your groin"

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
This is a question for anyone who has trained in mma, but how strict about stances are coaches at the high level? I'm thinking about guys in boxing like Michael Kozlowski or any of the Mayweathers, who will not have anyone in their gym working on a different stance.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
What's the best way to legally watch all of the fights of a particular boxer? I was reading up the peek-a-boo style and wanted to watch all of the Tyson fights I could, is there a streaming service that has them?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Memento posted:

What's the best way to legally watch all of the fights of a particular boxer? I was reading up the peek-a-boo style and wanted to watch all of the Tyson fights I could, is there a streaming service that has them?

Type Mike Tyson full fight into Youtube there's tons of 'em

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, no idea if there is a streaming service for it, but youtube doesn't seem to have any issue with having the full fights up and easily accessible so I'm guessing there isn't one or that the rights are a clusterfuck and nobody really knows who owns what.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Reminds me of that one Tyson documentary from years ago that talks about how he never visualized punching a guy, he visualized punching through his head and into whatever was behind him and that's why he hits so hard. I don't remember the exact quote but the dead eyed serious way he said it was pretty terrifying. Tyson is a scary dude when he wants to be - then you see him holding his pigeons and laughing and making jokes.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Joe Frasier was better.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Joe Frasier was better.

Joe Frazier had the bad luck to be one of the greatest boxers in the world at exactly the same time that Muhammad Ali and George Foreman existed. Same deal with Ken Norton too.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Reminds me of that one Tyson documentary from years ago that talks about how he never visualized punching a guy, he visualized punching through his head and into whatever was behind him and that's why he hits so hard. I don't remember the exact quote but the dead eyed serious way he said it was pretty terrifying. Tyson is a scary dude when he wants to be - then you see him holding his pigeons and laughing and making jokes.

isnt that common sense that all strikers are taught? though i dont disagree that he is a ferocious person

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jerusalem posted:

Joe Frazier had the bad luck to be one of the greatest boxers in the world at exactly the same time that Muhammad Ali and George Foreman existed. Same deal with Ken Norton too.

I have this link bookmarked from this thread talking about Frazier/Foreman/Ali

fatherdog posted:

Foreman/Frazier is also notable because, although there are obviously many times in history where an undisputed, undefeated champion gets defeated, there aren't all that many where they get absolutely loving murdered.

david carmichael posted:

it was the greatest fighter of all times at the peak of his capabilities getting steamrolled by the meat man

david carmichael posted:

and that lead directly into the insanity that was ali/foreman, where ali's strategy was to let the meat man who hits like a comet pummel him until he got tuckered out, which worked great somehow.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Then Ali/Frazier went at it one more time to the point where BOTH were about to quit because they'd brutalised each other so badly, but Frazier just so happened to quit first.

Absolutely loving incredible time for boxing, and it is still unbelievable to me that the guy who mostly came out of that period the most at peace and improved as an all around human being was George Foreman.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Frazier did it all with one eye too.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I.N.R.I posted:

isnt that common sense that all strikers are taught? though i dont disagree that he is a ferocious person

No Idea, I've never been taught to strike or trained in MMA unfortunately. But if it is then it still sounded much scarier coming from Tyson with his dead eyes than it would from a coach I'm sure.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

No Idea, I've never been taught to strike or trained in MMA unfortunately. But if it is then it still sounded much scarier coming from Tyson with his dead eyes than it would from a coach I'm sure.

It's how my dad taught me to throw a punch and just about every coach I've ever had has done too. It's pretty standard.

Tyson was just a rediculous genetic mix who happened to find two coaches who could turn him into an irresistible destructive force.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

BlindSite posted:

It's how my dad taught me to throw a punch and just about every coach I've ever had has done too. It's pretty standard.

Tyson was just a rediculous genetic mix who happened to find two coaches who could turn him into an irresistible destructive force.

Look at this guy, all 'having a dad'

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I loved the interview Arsenio did with Ali and Tyson (and Sugar Ray Leonard!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki4UKsI8bms

Tyson gets so amped up talking about what Ali meant to him as a kid, it's really heartwarming.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Why do they still use a ring for Japanese MMA? Just tradition?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Memento posted:

mma was originally seen as a pro wrestling offshoot there and i guess they never really felt any need or notion to switch to a cage. pancrase was in a ring, rings was in a ring, uwfi was in a ring, pride (never die) was in a ring.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Memento posted:

I kinda like a ring. I don't think its better than a cage, and I dislike the increase referee interference it requires, but it mixes things up a bit.

The ring lets you cut corners a lot more easily (seeing how, you know, there are corners in a ring). The lack of cage makes a whole set of grappling less applicable. A fighter can get trapped in the corner and may need to fight his way out. There's different sizes of cage that get used, but a ring is pretty small and can force lots of action.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Count Roland posted:

There's different sizes of cage that get used, but a ring is pretty small and can force lots of action.

The Pride ring was 24' x 24', which I thought was a good size. You could still run if you wanted, but not nearly as much as if you got pure cowardice in the octagon (which is 30' in diameter). I wouldn't mind if it were slightly smaller, but I think they want the walls to be far enough apart for people in the arena to be able to look down on the mat.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Are there any real catch wrestling promotions/events still? I vaguely remember seeing a "world championship" bout on Youtube a few years ago that was in front of like five people.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
Nah, catch wrestling is basically dead.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I dont know if it is still held, but when I lived in Iowa last, Humboldt, which is the home town of Frank gotch, held the world catch championships. This was in like 2017 so it isn't that far removed.

Coincidentally, I practiced in Humboldt sometimes for folkstyle wrestling

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Low Desert Punk posted:

Are there any real catch wrestling promotions/events still? I vaguely remember seeing a "world championship" bout on Youtube a few years ago that was in front of like five people.

On WrestleMania weekend Josh Barnett runs a show called Bloodsport which is pro wrestling but leans heavily into catch wrestling style and is really really fun.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x75e7i3

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Did a skateboard really get thrown in the ring during a UFC fight or am I just being fooled by a very good manipulation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSYsJRrNDUE

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

VJeff posted:

Did a skateboard really get thrown in the ring during a UFC fight

no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytWV7KzOEI0

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Dumb question about MMA ground game: Is it possible to escape from a full mount position? From what I know, the fighter on the bottom doesn't really have much alternative except to barely defend against head blows until the ref calls the match.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

Dumb question about MMA ground game: Is it possible to escape from a full mount position? From what I know, the fighter on the bottom doesn't really have much alternative except to barely defend against head blows until the ref calls the match.

You uh might want to watch more more MMA, people get out of mount all the time.

The most common way to do it is for the fighter on the bottom is to turn around, which usually means the mounted fighter will take back control, which is also a terrible position. There are a variety of other reversals, escapes to guard, and scrambles that can get you out.

Just google bjj mount escape .

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Or if you're Derrick Lewis just stand up

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Unlucky7 posted:

it's actually fairly difficult to hold full mount against an opponent who is competent and not already really hurt.

Count Roland posted:

The most common way to do it is for the fighter on the bottom is to turn around, which usually means the mounted fighter will take back control, which is also a terrible position.

i'd consider this a collossal gently caress up and the reaction of people who aren't competent / are really hurt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Conor got mount on Holloway a bunch of times, but Max would just give up his back and escape out the back each time