Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

fatherdog posted:

"mutual consent of all involved" is not the same as "consensus", which means "general agreement" of a group. In this case the distinction is meaningful because "mutual consent of all involved" would be unanimous agreement, whereas "consensus" just means general agreement. Which means that there can be a consensus #1 heavyweight when there isn't a consensual #1 heavyweight.

Also nobody uses "consensual" in that fashion.

Also shut up mobn.

Yes, because it is an uncommon usage, it does not exist. Consensus in the fashion used in combat sports is a shorthand. It says "most people agree", but this a hyperbolic use of the term, much as when a headline says "everyone loves gaga". Of course not everyone loves lady gaga, but the phrase gives the sense of how widespread her popularity is. I'm sorry that you dont't understand hyperbole or the distinction between proper and common usage. It must be a jersey thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
mobn i have never had a problem with you as a poster but is way past time for you to drop this.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

mobn posted:

Yes, because it is an uncommon usage, it does not exist. Consensus in the fashion used in combat sports is a shorthand. It says "most people agree", but this a hyperbolic use of the term, much as when a headline says "everyone loves gaga". Of course not everyone loves lady gaga, but the phrase gives the sense of how widespread her popularity is. I'm sorry that you dont't understand hyperbole or the distinction between proper and common usage. It must be a jersey thing.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Thermos H Christ posted:

mobn i have never had a problem with you as a poster but is way past time for you to drop this.

I would if I were wrong. As it stands, I have an actual degree in writing and the english language, and if there's one thing I've ever posted that I'm not wrong about, it's this.

mobn fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 7, 2011

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

mobn posted:

I would if I were wrong. As it stands, I have an actual degree in writing and the english language, and id there's one thing I've ever posted that I'm not wrong about, it's this.

Welp.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
Never change, never surrender.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

jeffersonlives posted:

Welp.

freudian slip

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

jeffersonlives posted:

Welp.

I was posting from my phone.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

mobn posted:

I was posting from my phone.

Well besides looking like a pretty epic idiot in general here you probably should have checked your grammar bragpost for grammar.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

mobn posted:

Yes, because it is an uncommon usage, it does not exist. Consensus in the fashion used in combat sports is a shorthand. It says "most people agree", but this a hyperbolic use of the term, much as when a headline says "everyone loves gaga".

It's not a hyperbolic use of the term; it's used when there is, in fact, a consensus. There is often a consensus. There is pretty much never a unanimous agreement, which is why "consensus" is correct and "consensual" is not.

mobn posted:

id there's one thing I've ever posted that I'm not wrong about, it's this.

mobn in a nutshell, ladies and gentlemen.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Here's a question: when did Dan's overhead right become called the BRH around here? I know it stands for Big Right Hand; is that from a Goldberg line or something else?

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

paulo filho is the #1 nonconsensual LHW

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.

CVagts posted:

Here's a question: when did Dan's overhead right become called the BRH around here? I know it stands for Big Right Hand; is that from a Goldberg line or something else?

I don't know about "around here" but I think the Oyama fight was the BRH's debut

edit: I'm totally wrong on this. the BRH was the turning point in the Carlos Newton fight so it's at least that old.

Elmo Oxygen fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 7, 2011

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

CVagts posted:

its way older. it used to be his only really dangerous tool standing, but it took out enough guys to where if you were running down his strengths you basically had to say he throws big rights.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

its way older. it used to be his only really dangerous tool standing, but it took out enough guys to where if you were running down his strengths you basically had to say he throws big rights.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Bas and Quadros made it a talking point originally

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

fatherdog posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Bas and Quadros made it a talking point originally

IIRC "watch out for Dan's big right hand" was basically their version of "Chuck's got that look in his eyes."

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Except Dan's BRH was actually a thing

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

mobn posted:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/consensual

shockingly, words have multiple meanings. "consensual: chosen by the mutual consent of all involved". In this scenario, a person being declared the number 1 fighter by the consent of all people in the discussion, making him the the consensual #1 fighter.

I'm aware that people use consensus all the time in combat sports, but the guy wasn't incorrect in his usage of the word consensual, and that's all I was pointing out.

thanks for clearing that up mobn. helpful as always.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
mobn just allows all contrary posts to pass underneath him, causing them to lose their momentum

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My degree in philosophy says that mobn appealing to his degree in English to win an argument about semantics on the internet is bullshit.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Haraksha posted:

My degree in philosophy says that mobn appealing to his degree in English to win an argument about semantics on the internet is bullshit.

do these posts even exist at all

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

mobn posted:

do these posts even exist at all

mobn posted:

I would if I were wrong. As it stands, I have an actual degree in writing and the english language, and if there's one thing I've ever posted that I'm not wrong about, it's this.

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate
I met someone recently who saw Mark Coleman's penis personally. Let's talk about that instead of this dumb conversation.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Mark Coleman is a dick.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Malachamavet posted:

I met someone recently who saw Mark Coleman's penis personally.

like a doctor

or a prostitute

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Kevin Randleman

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate
Apparently he had a friend who was on the undercard at one of the bodog fight events and got backstage passes through said friend. Long story short, they go into the lockerooms to greet their friend, before the show starts, and low and behold Coleman is stark naked talking on his cell phone in the middle of the locker room.

Coleman wasn't even on the card.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
That doesn't seem like something a normal person would do at all

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
that sounds awfully like a mma dream to me.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

henkman posted:

Mark Coleman is a dick.

You shut your mouth. No way p4p #1 Greatest dad could be a dick.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

henkman posted:

That doesn't seem like something a normal person would do at all

Malachamavet posted:

Coleman

I'm more interested in what sort of a conversation he was having. Did it sound important? Like the kind of importance that you need every one of your senses uninhibited and therefore must logically be naked during it? Like mortgage negotiations?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm more interested in what sort of a conversation he was having. Did it sound important? Like the kind of importance that you need every one of your senses uninhibited and therefore must logically be naked during it? Like mortgage negotiations?

Hopefully not his daughters.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I've always been curious about the evolution of wrestling. How did wrestling transition from sideshow catch wrestling to having storylines and the huge production it is today?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Malachamavet posted:

I met someone recently who saw Mark Coleman's penis personally. Let's talk about that instead of this dumb conversation.

Is it tiny from all the steroids?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

red19fire posted:

I've always been curious about the evolution of wrestling. How did wrestling transition from sideshow catch wrestling to having storylines and the huge production it is today?

Well, it didn't really. Mainstream pro wrestling started off as Greco, and dating back to the late 1800s there were a significant amount of worked fights. Greco became less popular in the early 1900s as catch wrestling was a lot more interesting to watch, but by that point it was a pretty big sport already. Supposedly at this point title matches were still shoots, but a significant amount of the matches were works. By the time catch wrestling took over it wasn't really a side show!

In the 20s and 30s it evolved to be basically a 100% work with only a few notable shoots after that. This is also where you start seeing the first real storylines, although the whole giant production is relatively modern. Wrestling was traditionally cheap programming for stations that would in turn promote the live events. There were big shows including stadium shows, but nothing like what you see today until the 1970s with the closed circuit Ali/Inoki event (which was connected to events in California and New York for a WWWF Shea Stadium show) and not on a regular basis until the first JCP Starrcade and Vince McMahon's national expansion and then the first Wrestlemania.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

ForbiddenWonder posted:

paulo filho is the #1 nonconsensual LHW
What was Joe Son's fighting weight?

henkman posted:

Except Dan's BRH was actually a thing
The difference between Dan's BRH and Chuck's facial expression is that Dan's hand isn't full of cocaine.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

wrestle-chat

Uh, a lot, and I mean a whole lot of what Pro-Wrestling does as a form of entertainment it learned from Lucha Libre. Heels and Babyfaces and such, thats all stuff Pro-Wrestling learned from Lucha.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Here's a question I've had for a while - is there any good reason that fighters shouldn't be allowed to wear rashguards in American male MMA? I mean I assume that the unified rules include apparel and I know the unified rules are extremely tough to modify, but would it actually cause any problems? Would they end up getting pulled over people's faces or something? It seems like if there's not a problem with people using rashguards as a ligature in sub grappling competition there shouldn't be one in MMA.

Personally I think the whole thing would look a lot less gay if there was less bare, sweaty skin getting rubbed all over everything. Instead we could have scuba commando fights! Plus distinctive tops would make it less necessary for fighters to have retarded tattoos and hair just so you can tell them apart.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
At one point Brian Cimins tried to get his brand of antibacterial rashguards approved for fight apparel; the NSAC told him that they barred any upper-body apparel because it could be abrasive and therefore used to worsen cuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

fatherdog posted:

At one point Brian Cimins tried to get his brand of antibacterial rashguards approved for fight apparel; the NSAC told him that they barred any upper-body apparel because it could be abrasive and therefore used to worsen cuts.

If this is their reasoning, how do they justify exempting it for women's fights beyond "boobs are taboo"?