Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
But how much of their total earnings are they paying their manager and training camp and all the related costs, like travel? I imagine it's usually a smaller percentage at the top level as the training costs don't scale with income, but I wonder what Freddie Roach charges by the hour for boxing lessons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I can't answer that I know some agents take in the vicinity of 4%, some more some probably less by the same token though, being trained by Freddie Roach and being managed by someone like Ed Soares probably means you're going to be making more and more money as time goes on.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

But how much of their total earnings are they paying their manager and training camp and all the related costs, like travel? I imagine it's usually a smaller percentage at the top level as the training costs don't scale with income, but I wonder what Freddie Roach charges by the hour for boxing lessons.

UFC pays for travel.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Halloween Jack posted:

This is actually less true than you'd think. Low level guys are mostly training at their local gym where they're also teaching at, whereas many UFC star types are running their own personal camp and bringing in personal coaches, training partners, etc.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
The real issue is not guys in the UFC, its the fighters who are coming up that make like 500 bucks a fight. Your early years are when you develop skills, so the less time a pro fighter has to spend not training, the better he will be, long term.

This is not really the UFC's problem or anything one person can fix, but if we want to see athletes on par with sports like Baseball, basketball, football, there needs to be a system for fighters to work to the top.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

jeffersonlives posted:

This is actually less true than you'd think. Low level guys are mostly training at their local gym where they're also teaching at, whereas many UFC star types are running their own personal camp and bringing in personal coaches, training partners, etc.
I must be overestimating how much the lower-level guys get poached for fees when they're struggling.

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
ufc should pay by the hour

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Tezcatlipoca posted:

UFC pays for travel.

This btw includes hotel and a perdiem for food for the fighter and his cornermen.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

OH WORD SON posted:

Todd Duffee would make more at Dairy Queen :stare:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

fawker posted:

This btw includes hotel and a perdiem for food for the fighter and his cornermen.
I had no idea, that's pretty cool.

I wonder what the top guys are paying to fly somebody in as part of their training camp. Just the lodging and per diem to have somebody come to a city to lecture or whatever for a few days gets pretty expensive pretty quickly.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

BlindSite posted:

If you think these guys are making just a base wage from their published payouts you're way off.

I think you can't read bolded text. It's right there in my post that you quoted - the question of whether they earn *enough* isn't what I'm interested in so much, nor am I unaware that the potential income sources are manifold. I specifically don't really "get" (I do get it now that it's been explained better, but I don't like it) the UFC's semi-secret locker-room bonuses. On the other hand, if you do want to talk about whether the fighters earn enough or not... well, frankly, I don't think $50,000/yr is much of an income for a bus driver, let alone someone who is getting punched in the face, choked, or generally roughed up on television.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Xguard86 posted:

The real issue is not guys in the UFC, its the fighters who are coming up that make like 500 bucks a fight. Your early years are when you develop skills, so the less time a pro fighter has to spend not training, the better he will be, long term.

This is not really the UFC's problem or anything one person can fix, but if we want to see athletes on par with sports like Baseball, basketball, football, there needs to be a system for fighters to work to the top.

I wish at the amateur level, promoters had enough cash to cover per diems and bus fare or gas money. That would take the edge off of people scraping just to be able to fight.

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006

kensei posted:

Todd Duffee would make more at Dairy Queen :stare:

"Okay Guys, that fight lasted 2 minutes. I have you both at 16.50 an hour, so

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Five Cent Deposit posted:

frankly, I don't think $50,000/yr is much of an income for a bus driver, let alone someone who is getting punched in the face, choked, or generally roughed up on television.

I am assuming the cost of living where you live is very high, because 50k per year for someone with a HS level education is enormous. I looked it up, that is more than double the average for bus drivers in my area.

A UFC fighter should def make more than 50k though, considering they are at the top of their sport.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Xguard86 posted:

I am assuming the cost of living where you live is very high, because 50k per year for someone with a HS level education is enormous. I looked it up, that is more than double the average for bus drivers in my area.

A UFC fighter should def make more than 50k though, considering they are at the top of their sport.
In Toronto, our spoiled bus drivers start at 50k + benefits and cry about how they are over worked and underpaid.

I get really sad when I see the new guys on the UFC undercards make 5000/5000 (Im sure Dana rewards them with extra stuff but still...)

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
being a bus driver in toronto requires way more skills and training than being mac danzig

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

Also considering that you can't fight professionally for 30 years leading up to a pensioned retirement.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

kimbo305 posted:

I wish at the amateur level, promoters had enough cash to cover per diems and bus fare or gas money. That would take the edge off of people scraping just to be able to fight.

Just move to Vegas, duh.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
The bus driver is driving the bus 8 hours a day 5 days a week. UFC Fighters might spend 45 minutes a year fighting on TV. Medical and travel expenses associated with these fights are covered. If you count sponsorships and bonuses, UFC fighters who make it on TV/PPV probably earn more in 15 minutes than a bus driver does in a year. If they're successful it's going to be a LOT more.

I know the fighters spend a lot of time and money on training, but I seriously doubt many of them spend 8 hours a day at it. I bet a lot of them make as much as the bus driver just from their day jobs as engineers, head bouncers, MMA instructors, shady real estate agents, etc.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
preliminary research suggests that very few bus drivers are currently mac danzig. that's encouraging.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OH WORD SON posted:

They do that is why GSP makes the most money.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

MassRayPer posted:

They do that is why GSP makes the most money.

The Charles Dickens of MMA.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Thermos H Christ posted:

The bus driver is driving the bus 8 hours a day 5 days a week. UFC Fighters might spend 45 minutes a year fighting on TV. Medical and travel expenses associated with these fights are covered. If you count sponsorships and bonuses, UFC fighters who make it on TV/PPV probably earn more in 15 minutes than a bus driver does in a year. If they're successful it's going to be a LOT more.

I know the fighters spend a lot of time and money on training, but I seriously doubt many of them spend 8 hours a day at it. I bet a lot of them make as much as the bus driver just from their day jobs as engineers, head bouncers, MMA instructors, shady real estate agents, etc.

bus drivers dont get parkinson's from driving a bus

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
so what you are saying is that bus drivers are twice as smart as fighters

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Gomi Pile posted:

so what you are saying is that bus drivers are twice as smart as fighters

Bus drivers in Toronto anyways, seem capable of texting and driving a bus full of people at the same time.

Chuck Liddell struggles to form sentences.

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
chucks hook would be stellar on the swinging arm used to open and shut doors.

WHOOSH record time opening and shutting them bitches

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Pneub posted:

Just move to Vegas, duh.

Thanks for the flip response to a general issue, I guess? I've known guys who couldn't accept an amateur fight out of state because they couldn't get a ride.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

kimbo305 posted:

Thanks for the flip response to a general issue, I guess? I've known guys who couldn't accept an amateur fight out of state because they couldn't get a ride.

No, seriously. All fighters should move to Vegas.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

kimbo305 posted:

A Cagepotato.com poster asked for bus fair to get out to TUF tryouts a week or so ago. And the internet provided. It should set a precedent for PSP guys. mobn, willie_dee, and those who come after you: If you'll fight on tape and post it for the internet's amusement, we'll chip in.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Pneub posted:

No, seriously. All fighters should move to Vegas.

at least you don't have to find a sauna, just wrap yourself in trashbags and stand outside for 30 minutes.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

kimbo305 posted:

agreed. there is no more serious and unfunny problem than somebody not getting his mom's sonata for the weekend.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Gomi Pile posted:

agreed. there is no more serious and unfunny problem than somebody not getting his mom's sonata for the weekend.

If I had said judo tournament you would be flipping out.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
judo is for children. i don't think mothers should be letting children drive themselves.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

words of wisdom from a child.

While it doesn't bother me that amateur fighters have to pay to fight, since most of them won't have long careers, I did wish the distinction between pro and am was more than "here's $50 for this last-minute rescheduled bout, now gently caress off." By the time you're making $5k on the untelevised part of a UFC event, you've probably sunk a couple years pay just trying to make it in the sport. Again, those bus driving jobs must be tempting.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

kimbo305 posted:

words of wisdom from a child.

While it doesn't bother me that amateur fighters have to pay to fight, since most of them won't have long careers, I did wish the distinction between pro and am was more than "here's $50 for this last-minute rescheduled bout, now gently caress off." By the time you're making $5k on the untelevised part of a UFC event, you've probably sunk a couple years pay just trying to make it in the sport. Again, those bus driving jobs must be tempting.

that's literally the same as every other sport. except most of them have parents footing the bills. hockey, football, wrestling, driving, golf,boxing whatever. all very expensive and you don't get any money for years and years and years.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

For sure, all sports are money sinks. But many of them are structured through schools and are just outlets for physical activity. So I imagine way more kids are doing it for fun, and the proportion considering turning pro is much lower.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
so what is your point? what is your solution? these people participating in this activity (which costs money, just like every other similar activity) with a very high barrier to the professional level (just like every other similar activity) should get paid to play their game? everyone else in a beer league isn't getting paid.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
i really like your softball league ed, but i know guys in AAA ball who are getting paid 500 bucks a game. i'm gonna have to sit until you make a better offer.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
Is baseball slide-kicking someone on the ground specifically illegal in most major promotions? I can't think of many good applications, it would at least be a funny way to kick dudes in that loving flipped-over turtle defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Winwood
Sep 22, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Pneub posted:

Is baseball slide-kicking someone on the ground specifically illegal in most major promotions? I can't think of many good applications, it would at least be a funny way to kick dudes in that loving flipped-over turtle defense.

No, you can soccer kick people in the legs and body when they're on the ground.