Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

mobn posted:

Ha, situations like that go down at the Chuck E Cheese here all the time. There was a 30+ person brawl in the parking lot a couple years back because two dads started fighting over whose kid was next on some machine.

did your dad win?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASL NIGGA
Nov 26, 2009

by T. Mascis
snap

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

ForbiddenWonder posted:

did your dad win?

no i had to go play in the gross ball pit instead

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!

mobn posted:

no i had to go play in the gross ball pit instead

Gross ball pits. The beginning of every MMA fan's obsession.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

It's almost as nasty as having to roll armbars with a beginner that doesn't have a cup!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

niethan posted:

russian_waterpark_brawl.flv

I loving loved that video.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
did I find the right one here?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPxUZlQ0cGg

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

yes sir

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

The only thing missing from that was the Benny Hill theme.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

fatherdog posted:

A) Iole is full of poo poo, all of those were legal although some of them required you to pay part of your purse afterwards

B) Gordeau eye-gouged Royce anyway, which is why Royce held onto the choke long after he tapped.

hahahaha the first point is like a video game

everytime joe son punched a dick a big golden "-100" appeared in the air

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Captain Log posted:

The only thing missing from that was the Benny Hill theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFEh8RJ2Bd8&feature=related

abortionfailure
Jun 29, 2006

perpetuatin the stereotype

Save Russian Jews posted:

everytime joe son punched a dick a big golden "-100" appeared in the air

:raise: You sure you don't mean keith hackney? iirc, hackney was the package punching prophet in that fight.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Joe Son was taking the dick punches.

Which is pretty great ironic justice since he was charged with participating in a gang rape.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Preemptive surrogate vengeance.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
"what is a man? a miserable little pile of submissions. but enough talk...have at you!" - draculino maghaghepahig

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

abortionfailure posted:

:raise: You sure you don't mean keith hackney? iirc, hackney was the package punching prophet in that fight.

loving hell i'm dumb sometimes.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
This is a really, really basic question, but a common phrase in striking is "creatng angles" I can sort of imagine what that might mean, but would someone mind being a little more specific?

widunder
May 2, 2002

Snowman_McK posted:

This is a really, really basic question, but a common phrase in striking is "creatng angles" I can sort of imagine what that might mean, but would someone mind being a little more specific?
In striking, you want to avoid being flat footed and especially just attacking linearily like it's some sort of TKD competition. This can mean side stepping and circulating around your opponent, making you a much more unpredictable and dynamic threat, especially when you start throwing uppercuts and effective jabbing into the mix.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

It's also about positioning yourself such that you can throw good, hard, accurate punches but your opponent can't. Watch Anderson Silva or Lyoto Machida and see how often it happens that when one of them is punching a guy in the mouth, there's no real angle for that guy to punch back with anything but a weird, off balance arm punch.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Cool, that's pretty much what I thought it was, thanks.

Another, related question. I was watching Houston Alexander's most recent fight, and he kept throwing his lead hand out. Kind of like a jab, but he was really sitting into it, he managed a knockdown off of it (admittedly it was at heavyweight, but still) so it was a jab, but with quite a lot of power. Is that a different kind of strike?

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

Cool, that's pretty much what I thought it was, thanks.

Another, related question. I was watching Houston Alexander's most recent fight, and he kept throwing his lead hand out. Kind of like a jab, but he was really sitting into it, he managed a knockdown off of it (admittedly it was at heavyweight, but still) so it was a jab, but with quite a lot of power. Is that a different kind of strike?

some guys do this, Bas rutten calls it a 'left straight' rather than a jab. people who use it in place of a jab are generally of the mindset that a normal jab is too risky and a bad way to keep distance in MMA with the small gloves and variety of attacks, so they commit more to it

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
that's a pretty dumb name, left straight happens when an orthodox fighter fires a left from the southpaw stance following a right roundhouse. it's just a strong jab, some boxers like miguel cotto love that punch.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
there is a school of thought that a hard jab is a very strong, yet under utilized, mma tool due to the small gloves and ability to swarm a guy if you knock him off balance. A lot of those old timey bare knuckle boxing guides show guys throwing those stiff jabs.

I think it's really interesting to watch MMA striking evolve beyond (kick)boxing/Muay thai into its own unique style.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
MMA is weird, sometimes you'll see a guy like Lytle wing haymakers that never knock anyone out and then you"ll go back and watch Nick Diaz knock down Robbie Lawler with a jab.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

there is a school of thought that a hard jab is a very strong, yet under utilized, mma tool due to the small gloves and ability to swarm a guy if you knock him off balance. A lot of those old timey bare knuckle boxing guides show guys throwing those stiff jabs.

I think it's really interesting to watch MMA striking evolve beyond (kick)boxing/Muay thai into its own unique style.

yeah, what usually differentiates the "left straight" from the jab (other than being thrown harder) is that you throw it with your knuckles aligned vertically, the MMA guys who do this generally got it from Bas Rutten, who got it from Jack Dempsey's old book on boxing, which borrowed from the old timey bareknuckle stuff

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

and there you go.

An old kickboxer I knew had a great dirty boxing technique that I wish MMA fighters would do. He would jab just outside your face, missing intentionally, but he'd hook your neck on the way back which would often pull you forward or at least freeze you momentarily, at which time he would throw a straight directly into your nose. It was like a snap down straight combo.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Tezcatlipoca posted:

MMA is weird, sometimes you'll see a guy like Lytle wing haymakers that never knock anyone out and then you"ll go back and watch Nick Diaz knock down Robbie Lawler with a jab.

Most of that is down to timing and placement of the punch.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

BlindSite posted:

Most of that is down to timing and placement of the punch.

I know I just think it's interesting that it doesn't really matter how much power is behind the punch if it isn't accurate and well timed.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I know I just think it's interesting that it doesn't really matter how much power is behind the punch if it isn't accurate and well timed.
Anderson is really the king of this.

Walking backwards while throwing what looks like a zero effort punch, but it clearly catches Forrest perfectly and rattles his brain - look at how his head snaps around.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Anderson Ali:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/8/30/2392313/ufc-134-rio-results-judo-chop-anderson-silva-muhammad-ali-anchor-punch

interesting story about the similiarity in Anderson and Ali's hands down jab that seems to have mysterious powers.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
if you are moving forward and get hit the net force smashing your brain into your brain wall is way higher than if you are standing still.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Gomi Pile posted:

if you are moving forward and get hit the net force smashing your brain into your brain wall is way higher than if you are standing still.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
i remember when that happened fatherdog said it was because he wasn't expecting it not because there was a 300 pound man hurling himself at full speed at melvin's fist

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I literally don't see how mechanically his fat guts and legs make any difference to the force of the punch.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
mobn this is your time to shine, take it away buddy

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

niethan posted:

I literally don't see how mechanically his fat guts and legs make any difference to the force of the punch.

he ran in the wrong direction

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

niethan posted:

read a book.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
no. please make a free body diagram for me

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

niethan posted:

no. please make a free body diagram for me

a body like that takes an investment of many thousands of dollars at kfc. it is anything but "free"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

niethan posted:

mobn this is your time to shine, take it away buddy

physics