Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

quote:

19. Throwing an opponent out of the ring or fenced area.

So I was checking out the rules and saw this; has this ever happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Valeyard posted:

Tank Abbot tried it once because he was under the mistaken impression that it would be an automatic win.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I'm not sure anyone has ever been thrown out of a cage, at least in any of the major orgs. However in fights that use a boxing ring instead fighters do end up outside the ring regularly. That is one major reason for the cages, for fighter safety.

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 17, 2013

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Manny Yarborough sumo-pushed Keith Hackney through the cage door at UFC 3.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Valeyard posted:

JAmes Thompson almost chucked Overeem out of a cage (kinda)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
UFC should switch to a ring and add Pancrase rope escapes. Eliminate fence-pushing as a strategy. I am only 70% joking.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
mike brown threw someone out of the ring in Bodog Fight. Black Mamba I think. Didn't count for anything.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Didn't Chris Horodecki dive out the IFL ring to escape a guillotine?

And I recall Jorge Santiago doing the same to avoid being KO'd by Misaki in one of their fights.

Rings are the dumbest poo poo ever.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Didn't someone take a nasty spill out of a ring in a Frank Shamrock fight? Hopefully Frank.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
I forget who it was but some fight ended in NC when both fighters fell out of the ring/cage and got knocked out upon hitting the floor

EDIT: Found it
http://youtu.be/ViHxEWBxHS4

MysteryNad fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 17, 2013

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
That was the start of the James Irvin curse.

E: Oh, my mistake, I assumed it was Irvin/Southworth. Those guys fell out of the cage but I don't think they were knocked out, it just got NC'd.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 23, 2013

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

fatherdog posted:

Tank Abbot tried it once because he was under the mistaken impression that it would be an automatic win.

the best part is that the other guy's corner was frantically holding him up, so Tank got pissed and stopped to demand the ref DQ his opponent because they were blatantly cheating. It took like 5 minutes to clear it all up and restart the fight.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
Casual MMA fan question: why exactly did John Fitch get cut from UFC?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

getitoffgetitoff posted:

They thought he was done as a contender and he didn't get a free pass for being entertaining or a loyal company guy. Considering he got choked out by Josh Burkman in his first fight out, they were probably right.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

getitoffgetitoff posted:

You get to stay in the UFC if you are either winning or exciting. In Jon Fitch's last 4 fights in the UFC he was one win, two losses, one draw. That one win is over someone who is 3-3 (in the UFC). Fitch was almost never exciting.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Also, his pay may have been a part of it. If he were cheaper to keep around, they may have given him another fight or two.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

On top of that, around 2008 or 2009 he was party to some difficult negotiations with Zuffa over likeness rights (stemming from the upcoming UFC video game) and he pissed Dana so much that he cut every AKA fighter. Lorenzo had to step in and fix it.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

getitoffgetitoff posted:

The UFC argument was that he was on the downside of his career. Lost two of three and only beaten a guy who was still considered an up and comer.

The real reason is probably a combined mix of the above and the fact that he constantly bitched about the UFC not liking him and his style being boring (it was) and him not getting another title shot. Also some people like to claim that he was a potential risk to put against the guys they wanted to push because he could derail their title aspirations in the most boring fashion imaginable.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Okami was cut for pretty much the same reasons even though he had a better record than Fitch, though I think he did make more show money.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Every answer so far isn't really right. Dana was much more explicit about how it went down than the speculative tone of the answers so far would indicate.

Fitch got cut because his management was causing problems in negotiation between the UFC and AKA. Dana made it pretty clear at the time the cut had less to do with Fitch and more to do with what his managers were demanding, and there are quite a few important fighters at AKA.

If he'd been on a killer win streak I'm sure they would've kept him, and if he'd been popular at all theydve probably given him the money that was being asked for. But he'd lost a couple so he wasn't a key feature of the division anymore. Also they were looking to cut guys to get the roster down to size.

Okami's situation was only similar in that he'd lost to a couple guys so he wasn't a cornerstone of the division anymore, and he wasn't a popular fighter. There so much deeper in the cutting effort now that it was enough of a reason to cut him.

Fitch really got cut because of the wheeling dealing, at least if you believe Dana.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Who represents Fitch? And is anyone else stupid enough to stay with him now that he's turned a perennial contender into a cardio kickboxing instructor.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Who represents Fitch? And is anyone else stupid enough to stay with him now that he's turned a perennial contender into a cardio kickboxing instructor.

I'm not sure about now, but for a while everybody at AKA was being represented by Bob Cook. I remember because Buentello got a different agent because he wanted to go back to the UFC rather than sign with Strikeforce as Cook was urging him to do, and Cook kicked him out of AKA right before his training camp for Struve.

Cook also just happened to be Strikeforce's matchmaker at the time.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I'm pretty sure the AKA guys are all managed by Zinkin Entertainment, which is run by the CSAC commissioner's son or whatever. I'm not sure who represents Fitch in Skyrim but I think they wear pelts and do magic tricks.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Was Rickson/Takada a work? I've heard no but it sure looked like one.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

The Duck of Death posted:

Both of the Takada vs. Rickson fights were shoots. The worked Takada fights are the ones he won, it really didn't make sense for them to work fights to have the native hero lose.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Why would you work a match to get the result that was 100% guaranteed to happen anyway and was the less profitable option?

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

I'm not sure which fight I saw but I figured it was worked because Takada at times looked mildly competitive on the ground.

e: I guess he had a submission wrestling background? I had read that he was tapped by white belts while training BJJ for his fights.

The Duck of Death fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 6, 2013

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
What is the most someone has been over weight in the UFC?

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Seltzer posted:

What is the most someone has been over weight in the UFC?

I think it was when Anthony Johnson showed up at 197 pounds for a middleweight fight.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Fat Twitter Man posted:

I think it was when Anthony Johnson showed up at 197 pounds for a middleweight fight.

Wasn't he even heavier than that?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

I'm not sure which fight I saw but I figured it was worked because Takada at times looked mildly competitive on the ground.

e: I guess he had a submission wrestling background? I had read that he was tapped by white belts while training BJJ for his fights.

I haven't seen those fights in a while but I don't remember Takada ever being "mildly competitive" on the ground.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

MassRafTer posted:

Wasn't he even heavier than that?

I think he had to weigh in at 205 on the night of the fight. So yes he must have been loving huge.

edit: nope never mind, he weighed in at 197 and couldn't exceed 205 on the night of the fight

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I still can't believe that he even made 170 as often as he did, because he looked pretty big compared to Arlovski.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I think that Lew Polley weighing 237 pounds for a LHW fight is the record for sanctioned fights outside of the UFC, but I could be wrong.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Didn't Mike Whitehead or Travis Wiuff or someone come in at like 250 for a 205 fight saying they thought it was at heavyweight years ago?

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Didn't Mike Whitehead or Travis Wiuff or someone come in at like 250 for a 205 fight saying they thought it was at heavyweight years ago?

I don't remember that but that's how every single b-leaguer who misses weight justifies himself, including Anthony Johnson when he missed weight by 10 pounds in his first fight out of the UFC.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I was thinking exactly the same thing (about Whitehead) but I can't figure out what fight it was.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Does Anthony Johnson have some sort of medical problem that causes him to miss weight dramatically for most fights or is he just a moron?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

projecthalaxy posted:

Does Anthony Johnson have some sort of medical problem that causes him to miss weight dramatically for most fights or is he just a moron?

He should have never been fighting at the lower weights to begin with, and was bad at cutting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

He also had a few injuries and in his recovery he ballooned up to 240 :stare:

Dude is just naturally big AND loves to eat. When he fought Arlovski he came in at 230, didn't have a spare tire around his waist.