Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

I'd like to follow Muay Thai more, is there a PSP thread for it? I looked previously but couldn't find it because maybe it has a strange name? Outside of that what are the best promotions to follow? It seems a very interesting sport I am just not sure how to start following. I am so dumb

Lion Fight is the major MT promotion in the states--they have a TV deal with AXS, so they're probably the best place to start. There are a bunch of posters who could give better recommendations for overseas stuff. I think most MT posting ends up in the Kickboxing thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

EmmyOk posted:

I'd like to follow Muay Thai more, is there a PSP thread for it? I looked previously but couldn't find it because maybe it has a strange name? Outside of that what are the best promotions to follow? It seems a very interesting sport I am just not sure how to start following. I am so dumb

In addition to all the correct things Dunc told you, here is a useful resource with schedules, photos, and fight recaps in English by all around cool dude Rob Cox, an Englishman who runs Kiatphontip gym over there with his wife's family and is at the stadiums 4 or 5 nights a week.

http://www.muaythai2000.com/en/

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gregor Samsa posted:

In addition to all the correct things Dunc told you, here is a useful resource with schedules, photos, and fight recaps in English by all around cool dude Rob Cox, an Englishman who runs Kiatphontip gym over there with his wife's family and is at the stadiums 4 or 5 nights a week.

http://www.muaythai2000.com/en/

eshock posted:

Lion Fight is the major MT promotion in the states--they have a TV deal with AXS, so they're probably the best place to start. There are a bunch of posters who could give better recommendations for overseas stuff. I think most MT posting ends up in the Kickboxing thread.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Muay Thai is really hard to follow because the actual legit stuff is all on lovely Thai TV streams and there's a whole lot of it, much of which is boring, and it's really hard to contextualise who is who and what is what. If you find someone super hardcore who actually follows all the results from Thailand the chances are they actually fight for a living, there's very few people outside of Thailand who follow all the stadium stuff recreationally.

Anyway, Muay Thai TV has you covered with schedules and streams: http://www.muaythaitv.com/thai-tv/

If you want to post about it, just do it in the kickboxing and Dutch organised crime thread

Thanks for the responses guys. This is exactly what I was after. I really appreciate the help

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

kimbo305 posted:

You don't have to be watching the two fighters the same way to be objective. If one guy is pressing the action, and the other is retreating and defending, you don't need to be looking at both's offensive output the whole time. You can pick roles that the fighters' gameplans are molding them into during the fight, and gauge the actions taken in the context of those roles. That's a bit oversimplified.

As a start, watch the interaction of the feet and their motion over the cage / ring.
Are both fighters stepping forward and backward equally?
Is one fighter continually moving forward?
When one fighter goes forward, does he step with both feet, or does he lunge with only his front foot? How does he reset? Do his feints show the same footwork as his real strikes?
How does his opponent react? Does he step straight back? Always off to one side? Does he match distance in his retreat, or maybe goes back half a step and throws a counter?

By looking at the footwork, you can judge how each fighter is trying to dictate the range and pace of the fight to their own terms. You can also see to what degree they are succeeding with their gameplan.

A counterfighter like Machida will never stop moving. He might not move frequently or spastically, but he will always move where he wants to. He avoids getting penned up on the cage and moves aggressively away from anticipated long engagements, avoiding brawls.

Someone like Leben continually half steps toward his opponent, turning whenever his opponent moves offline. Once they're in range, a steady stream of strikes come out. Repeat until one or the other party has been stopped.

Shogun (just one more example) likes to come right into his pocket range and go into that Muay Thai guard with narrow stance, looking to land long punches and kicks. He can either exchange one strike at a time or brawl or clinch. He's not that mobile on his feet once in range, though some of his kick combinations can bring him forward. He has very limited footwork for moving back, usually just shelling up and stepping straight back slowly, which is where a lot of guys nab the takedown on him.

This is a pro post. Thank you. I will try this with some fight pass fights sometime soon for practice.

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

A trainer at my Muay Thai gym suggested I watch videos of a fighter, and I can't remember the name. I don't feel like waiting until next class to be reminded--this is a long shot, but know of any good kickboxers with a tall lanky build that one could watch to take notes on movement/technique?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Semmy Schilt?

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

DekeThornton posted:

Semmy Schilt?

Hm, maybe. I'd be surprised if he recommended me a heavyweight, but it can't hurt to watch some Semmy videos.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Andy Ristie and Raymond Daniels are pretty tall and lanky..

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Giorgio Petrosyan?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Not as good as any of those guys, but Cyrille Diabate?

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Kickboxers are always tall and lanky so it could be anyone.

It's probably Petrosyan or Badr Hari, though. I don't know what you would learn from watching Schilt, Ristie, or Daniels

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Trying to learn anything applicable from someone who's 6'11" and prob can't make the UFC heavyweight limit is gonna be tough.

Sato, maybe?

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

Nothing rings a bell but it honestly is good for me just to have these names to watch the fights, and one might be the right one. I'll find out tomorrow--thanks all!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

Trying to learn anything applicable from someone who's 6'11" and prob can't make the UFC heavyweight limit is gonna be tough.

Sato, maybe?

My favourite thing about Schitt is how when he double-collars someone and they get their hands in position to block knees he just starts kicking them in the legs from like 7 feet away.

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???
Remy Bonjansky?

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
If you're somehow 7 feet tall with a 90 inch wingspan then yeah Semmy Schilt could be the guy for you!

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

In terms of fighting from range you could do a lot worse than watching Joanna Jędrzejczyk

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Is Brock Jardine the most MMA name ever?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

-Atom- posted:

Is Brock Jardine the most MMA name ever?

Wanderson Silva?

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
I've been watching this gay sport for about 2 months and thought it would be cool to go watch the first UFC on fightpass. It was so amazing I immediately watched the next two as well.

I guess my general question is how the gently caress did the UFC survive long enough to turn into the vaguely respectable sport it is now.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Kuno posted:

I've been watching this gay sport for about 2 months and thought it would be cool to go watch the first UFC on fightpass. It was so amazing I immediately watched the next two as well.

I guess my general question is how the gently caress did the UFC survive long enough to turn into the vaguely respectable sport it is now.

That is actually a pretty good question and I'm not sure there is a great answer besides "insane billionaires". These rich dudes bought it for $2 million and then proceeded to dump around $40 million into it over 4 or 5 years and were finally at their wits ends (and pondering selling it off) when it started becoming a real thing and making money.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Yeah but how did it survive the SEG days? They had money but it wasn't Zuffa money.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
If you have fight pass watch this documentary.
http://www.ufc.tv/video/fighting-for-a-generation
It covers most of it and is quite interesting.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
it made money at first

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
The guys who ran Tough Guy Contest in the 80s were making money until they got banned for the dumbest reason in the world. People love bloodsports and the athletes were barely paid.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1st AD posted:

Yeah but how did it survive the SEG days? They had money but it wasn't Zuffa money.

UFC was really profitable in its first few years, it wasn't 97 when John McCain really started putting a hurt on the sport at the behest of boxing. By 98 the PPVs were losing money but not a huge amount, so it was possible for them to hang on a few years chasing the dream of the money they made from 93-96/7. Even in 98 they were still able to pack certain venues in the states they could run so there was reason for hope if they could get the cable companies back.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The first show was a surprise success. It was something people really wanted to watch, and ran into trouble from regulators, as other posters have mentioned.

That it grew into a legit sport though, that is known in several countries with big name athletes sponsored by bud light and burger king and reebok is pretty mind blowing though.

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

So I totally forgot to ask the name of that fighter, yet again, at class last night. But while going through the recommendations you guys gave me I came across Nieky Holzken, and I really enjoy watching his fights.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Cyber Dog posted:

So I totally forgot to ask the name of that fighter, yet again, at class last night. But while going through the recommendations you guys gave me I came across Nieky Holzken, and I really enjoy watching his fights.

Holzken is great but here's another lanky fighter for your list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAmuMeEDeFI

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

So I'm still watching these old UFCs and uh, Tank Abbott. Please give me the summary of Tank Abbott and his homemade fighting style named after a video game.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Luigi Thirty posted:

So I'm still watching these old UFCs and uh, Tank Abbott. Please give me the summary of Tank Abbott and his homemade fighting style named after a video game.

I believe it was fatherdog that described him as "Better than anyone fatter, fatter than anyone better"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Google Tank Abbott's book, it is a novel btw not an autobiography.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Tank Abbott is the person we should all thank for making MMA acceptable as a mainstream sport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMD-TWtY9lQ

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
moral imperative: watch Tank/Ferrozo 2

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Google Tank Abbott's book, it is a novel btw not an autobiography.

I'm still waiting on parts 2 and 3 to come out :mad:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

moral imperative: watch Tank/Ferrozo 3 in someone's back yard

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

LobsterMobster posted:

I'm still waiting on parts 2 and 3 to come out :mad:

I always forget your avatar is Tank in disguise.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Tank Abbott should sign up with Bellator, join Shamrock, Royce, and his successor the talented Mr. Slice in their grandpa division.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I'm trying to track down a video I had forever that the link eventually went bad on. It was a collage of the pre Wand Rampage two talk up followed by the fight highlights shot put together in an epic way with an eventual multi color effect kicking on when Wand started lighting Rampage up with knees. I loved the video so much it even took me literally over a year to track down the song that was playing, which was Fat City by Muggs.

That song alone is incredible. Any help is much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Captain Log posted:

I'm trying to track down a video I had forever that the link eventually went bad on. It was a collage of the pre Wand Rampage two talk up followed by the fight highlights shot put together in an epic way with an eventual multi color effect kicking on when Wand started lighting Rampage up with knees. I loved the video so much it even took me literally over a year to track down the song that was playing, which was Fat City by Muggs.

That song alone is incredible. Any help is much appreciated.

Here you go http://tinyurl.com/nz85kmy