Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
What counts as a "heavy strike" for the purpose of scoring? Can body shots/leg kicks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude

moww posted:

Actually the rules make a technically important distinction between heavy strikes and normal ones in terms of what it takes to win a round. I don't think they actually say what the difference between the two strikes is, but the most important judging criterion is determined by counting the total number of heavy strikes and seeing who landed more.

In practice, that's often impossible for one judge to do with no outside help while also considering all the other things that are going on in a fight. If you assume that a judge has legitimate competitive combat experience, it's safe to say that he can decide who won on effective striking just by getting an impression of the fight.

Unless leg kicks are involved.

Yeah, this is what I had in mind. I think this is a UFC thing, too.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
what's the deal with UFC Fight Nights? what's the difference between them and the regular numbered events?

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
I think it makes it less legitimate as well. Pay people for winning, if you don't like how they're winning change the rules. Be a sport.