Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
There's too many loving Silvas. Are any of the 10 of them related?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
So none of the ones that matter are related are related.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
TMFS2K

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

LvK posted:

I know that in UFC and other MMA promotions, there's a rule against manipulation of small joints like fingers, etc. I know there are plenty of good reasons for it and I'm honestly afraid to find out, but... is there precedent for this poo poo happening in the ring? :ohdear:

Well I know there's records of a Pancrase champ from ancient Greece who would just break fingers until he won each match. Maybe they didn't want anyone getting any bright ideas?

Pneub fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 7, 2011

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Looks like someone should have done more remodeling. *slide whistle*

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

niethan posted:

I remember something about a platform swimming in water with no walls and you could fall down, I think they use that in san shou but i kind of remember some russian b-league also having something similar.

You sure you arn't thinking of Soul Calibur?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Am I reading this wrong, or does he expect the judges to look up at the screens above the crowd if they can't see what's going on?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
Why don't they call them "shirts"?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

BlindSite posted:

I think it's pretty common for all sportsmen to hide their preference or even rather, to be "straight", I think it was Bloody Sundays (can't recall) the NFL book where one gay player who remained anonymous said he was sure there were many other players but they'd never come out from fear of retribution even in the form of violence and spoke pretty candidly about what it's like to be a gay player.

The gays always say that about people they know.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Xguard86 posted:

I considered asking about starting some kind of MMA off topic thread for chatter.

Then a remembered who you people were and realized it really wouldn't matter.

Make a specific "off topic" thread on this site and it will eventually turn into how we should euthanize the mentally challenged or something. You can't give people an excuse "cut loose".

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
Those little bastards got a whole apple for for their birthday, what more could they want?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

kimbo305 posted:

I wish at the amateur level, promoters had enough cash to cover per diems and bus fare or gas money. That would take the edge off of people scraping just to be able to fight.

Just move to Vegas, duh.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

kimbo305 posted:

Thanks for the flip response to a general issue, I guess? I've known guys who couldn't accept an amateur fight out of state because they couldn't get a ride.

No, seriously. All fighters should move to Vegas.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
Is baseball slide-kicking someone on the ground specifically illegal in most major promotions? I can't think of many good applications, it would at least be a funny way to kick dudes in that loving flipped-over turtle defense.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

MassRayPer posted:

Because players are only paid for superior on field performance in other sports. Did you miss Derek Jeter getting a 4 year contract at huge money coming off the worst season of his career? Or Ryan Howard? There are tons of players in legitimate sports who are paid for who they are as much as how they play.

Sooo... that's a good thing?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Snowman_McK posted:

A little while ago I found an old article about the then upcoming fight between Rich Franklin and Wandy. It said that Rich had been training with Anderson Silva. It then went on to suggest a "growing rivalry" between Andy and Wandy, I was wondering what, if anything, came of that, or if it was just an angle for the article to take.

Andy and Wandy sounds like an adorable kids show.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Lost For Words posted:

Sorry, PBS is going away because we need to trim federal spending. Also we need to massively expand federal spending by blowing up even more of the Middle East/North Africa

Just give Andy and Wandy a box o' grenades and have them go on a magical adventure.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
The best "martial art" is to fish-hook someone's cheek off and then stomp on their knee caps while they're rolling around on the ground. BJJ / muai thai looks like the best combination for sport fighting.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

NovemberMike posted:

I'm not sure if this is serious, but if it is you're retarded. Pain compliance techniques like fishhooking a cheek don't necessarily work when somebody is up on adrenaline and all of that "hit the weak point for massive damage" bullshit is useless unless you can punch hard and accurately without telegraphing. What you need for self defense is a decent grappling base so you can escape from the ground and the conditioning to run away faster than they can catch up. All other self defense poo poo is going to fail you when you're facing five people or someone with a knife.

I ain't talking about pain compliance. I'm saying that going all ape crazy and poking out eyeballs and biting ears off and poo poo would be, on average, the easiest way to beat someone in a "fight" (I just threw two things together in the first post). 99% of applicable people in the world wouldn't be able to set up an effective ground defense if you pulled their dick off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

BlindSite posted:

Can we keep this kind of retarded argumentative my fake fighting from israel beats your fake fighting from Brazil in another thread like the A&T thread designed for this poo poo?

I think I missed a previous argument about dick-pull-off-fu, and something about Isreal. My previous posts are rendered null.