Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Elemennop posted:

uh, if fake fighting was more difficult on the body than real fighting, then there would be no point to fake fighting

How about this: $$$$$$$

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Elemennop posted:

but fundamentally getting punched in the face, being kicked in the liver, or having your arm snapped hurts a lot more than pretending to do those things; otherwise, there would be no point to pretending to be hurt.

I guess if that's all prowrestlers did, or if they had the same sparse schedule.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

When I think of prowrestling being hard on you, I think of this stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLZhWLSjUuI

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Quodio Stotes posted:

silva is the smith of brazil.

That's unfair because Smith isn't relatively that common in the US, a country with a huge diversity of surnames. Silva is way way more common than Smith is.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

heeebrew posted:

Does Freddie Roach suffer from some form of dementia? I apologize if this is an offensive question but something seems off about his speech/head movements.

If you're the least bit curious about the man, HBO's On Freddie Roach is pretty good. Not a lot of new ground for people familiar with him, but for someone completely new, it's comprehensive.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Perdido posted:

Does anyone have a link to that thread of the oddball MMA personalities? Or was it here in the Q&A thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386340&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
surprisingly hard to find via Google.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jones' kick catch to spinning back elbow is pretty Muay Boran. Or is it more traditional "I train off DVDs" ???

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lost For Words posted:

I guess Cosmo is probably the dude with the best actual muay thai record in mma, but then he lost to some dude on a bellator prelim

The most accomplished Thai boxer to compete in modern MMA is probably Ramba. And while his style is very Thai, it obviously retains the usual holes that a MMA ruleset presents.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

the sad part about Kimbo is that by all accounts he was enthusiastic about learning to grapple and is a decent guy. He might have been a good fighter if MMA was a big thing 10-15 years ago.

I remember Bas saying he parted ways with Kimbo when Kimbo somehow decided that he didn't want to train grappling and was content with whatever. I haven't heard a more detailed explanation since, though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

It might be another isolated case, but Nick Denis said he was having more and more trouble coping with the hits he was taking at Tri-Star, which is what pushed him to retire (But I pretty much agree that most MMA gyms aren't going nutso)
The way I interpreted Denis' quote was not that the shots in sparring were too hard in general, but that they were less than what he'd take in the cage, but still too much for his long term brain health.

quote:

also isolated case - Donald SUH-ROH-NAY: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGHa8P-iXdU
That was a well placed kick, but not an overly hard one.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think it was pankration rules with limited grappling/throws. Somebody made a Team Alpha Male style banner for him that was pretty cool. And by cool I mean sad and amusing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ditch posted:

Q: What is "roidtech"? (other than that one youtube video)

Roidtech is what makes this guy so excited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDT1r55vwjM

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

For different states' ACs, how long beforehand is it known which judges will be judging a fight?
When looking at robberies or other fights where it seems like the judges have some ulterior motive, I wonder how long beforehand the corrupt parties might need to negotiate something to buy the judges.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

Drunk-rear end Bas and even drunker Don were the best MMA team on the planet. Shark Fights never stop swimming (because you'd die).

Wasn't there a 3rd commentator that, upon hearing Don say "that's like me going home drunk and whoopin on my old lady," went "whoa whoa whoa take it easy." ?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

But even by adding mass to your head, it'll have more moment of inertia to resist torque impulses. Lt. Shiny Sides linked a study in the martial arts thread showing that overall, headgear did reduce acceleration from punches (and I would surmise all strikes). But striking and head trauma is far more sophisticated than just that. That said, most pros do train with headgear. Many use gloves when doing everything but fine-grained submissions.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Just got around to the UFC 160 preview. Junior Dos Santos says his creatinine levels were elevated from the normal range of 250-300 to 1000-1400, evidence of overtraining and potential cause of decreased performance levels. Is that a generally known problem in sports? What about combat sports?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Creatinine is a by-product of muscle fatigue.

But are metrics for its level a common part of modern sports training?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It's frequently pointed out that some boxing tactics don't translate into MMA because of the different rules. Some forms of slipping ought to be backed up by lateral movement. Doing this from a distance is bad because you can either circle into a kick to the leg or even head. But if you're in the pocket, weaving under a hook should keep you out of trouble from both kicks, which would get jammed cuz your so close, and knees, which can't be thrown very soon after a commited hook. In MMA, I think the preferred tactic is ducking and shooting the double, which works very well. But I'd like to see more guys weave the hook, pivot, and then answer. Gus did the weaving part a few times to Jon Jones, and it was cool.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Grifter posted:

I always think about this when I compare the visual of a knockout vs. how it must feel.

It looks like barely a tap.

The angle of that strike might be particularly deceptive. I think there was an overhead angle of this where you see the Newton's arm still swing at full speed before it lands on Mo's chin. But your point stands -- your head doesn't have to get absolutely smashed for the switch to turn off.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

here's an awesome addendum to that fight, you should really watch it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5maknndsas
Respect to Fred Ettish, but man his shadowboxing at the start looks so stiff.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Aren't elbows pretty hard to land though? For most of us who don't have ape limbs, they either have to be moving towards you as you strike or they need to be up against the cage?

- a lot of elbows require decent shoulder mobility, which some guys don't have.
- telegraphing an elbow leaves you really open
- it's really hard to spar with elbows safely. I think this is the major problem.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Fat Twitter Man posted:

pudgy druid easily defeated by troll, blames mage

drat you mage, of blackest night

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

I don't know where else to post this since I can't find a thread for the playing of sports, just the watching of them. (I guess goons aren't very active?). Anyways, girlfriend expressed interest in doing a kickboxing class or getting some boxing gloves for at home to beat up things, relieve stress and get exercise. I figured maybe I'd get her some gloves and some focus pads and we could start there. If that works out maybe I can get a heavy bag for the garage eventually. I went down to the sporting goods store, but god drat there were too many choices. I don't know what to buy. Keep in mind we are just doing this for fun and exercise. We aren't actually trying to train to fight here.

Should I get her actual boxing gloves or those UFC finger gloves? Do they really need to be "womans gloves"? How many ounces should they be? And the mits are hard to figure out as well. I just want regular "focus mitts" right?

I'm thinking we should probably watch some kind of instructional video before we start flailing around like retards with these things. She has no idea what shes doing yet, and I don't know much more than the difference between a jab and a cross.

There's this thread where you'll get more help:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3409544
If you want to mess around, that's fine, but please please please get handwraps and learn how to put them on.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Pwny_Xpress posted:

When watching kickboxing, or the stand up in MMA, I have found I tend to not be able to keep up with the action on both sides objectively. My mind naturally just focuses on one fighters actions I think.

When watching these kinds of fights is there some sort of better place to train my eyes to watch to see both sides of the action more objectively? What are you guys usually focused on during these types of scenarios?

You don't have to be watching the two fighters the same way to be objective. If one guy is pressing the action, and the other is retreating and defending, you don't need to be looking at both's offensive output the whole time. You can pick roles that the fighters' gameplans are molding them into during the fight, and gauge the actions taken in the context of those roles. That's a bit oversimplified.

As a start, watch the interaction of the feet and their motion over the cage / ring.
Are both fighters stepping forward and backward equally?
Is one fighter continually moving forward?
When one fighter goes forward, does he step with both feet, or does he lunge with only his front foot? How does he reset? Do his feints show the same footwork as his real strikes?
How does his opponent react? Does he step straight back? Always off to one side? Does he match distance in his retreat, or maybe goes back half a step and throws a counter?

By looking at the footwork, you can judge how each fighter is trying to dictate the range and pace of the fight to their own terms. You can also see to what degree they are succeeding with their gameplan.

A counterfighter like Machida will never stop moving. He might not move frequently or spastically, but he will always move where he wants to. He avoids getting penned up on the cage and moves aggressively away from anticipated long engagements, avoiding brawls.

Someone like Leben continually half steps toward his opponent, turning whenever his opponent moves offline. Once they're in range, a steady stream of strikes come out. Repeat until one or the other party has been stopped.

Shogun (just one more example) likes to come right into his pocket range and go into that Muay Thai guard with narrow stance, looking to land long punches and kicks. He can either exchange one strike at a time or brawl or clinch. He's not that mobile on his feet once in range, though some of his kick combinations can bring him forward. He has very limited footwork for moving back, usually just shelling up and stepping straight back slowly, which is where a lot of guys nab the takedown on him.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dangersim posted:

Yeah the big thing everyone talks about in orthodox vs. southpaw is getting your lead foot outside your opponents, because it opens up your rear cross. This is absolutely true and something to watch for
This is more true for boxing that kickboxing. The more you kick and have to defend kicks, the less mobile your footwork becomes. There's many kicking options to discourage trying to step to the outside of the front foot. Also, the kickboxing stance is narrower. Coupled with a longer range, there's more open ground between the two opponents' front feet.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Trying to learn anything applicable from someone who's 6'11" and prob can't make the UFC heavyweight limit is gonna be tough.

Sato, maybe?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

What's even more confusing to me is the fact that many of the people making the aforementioned statement have also gone on record saying Caraway being ranked is proof of how terrible men's Bantamweight is.

Still confused?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Muttonchips posted:

Here's an interesting fact. There used to be a time in UFC when there was no weight class. Demetrious Johnson facing off against Chris Weidman could have been a real possibility. Personally I would have love to see them bring back tournaments without weight classes. Post-diverticulitis Brock Lesnar versus Louis Gaudinot would make for an interesting match-up, imo. They didn't add in weight classes until UFC 12.

Take a break and check out Absolute divisions in grappling competitions.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

1st AD posted:

There is no point in history in which BJ could have cleared out 170.

I'd be curious if he could. If he could fitch Fitch, he might have been able to hold up against guys like Trigg and Newton.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

there have been several occasions where a fighter has won all 3/5 rounds on every judges scorecards but the fight has been extremely competitive so a shut-out wouldn't be appropriate there either.

Stealth Tiger is not asking for shut-out to be applied to cases where all judges agree on rounds won, but for when one fighter doesn't lose a single round on any judge's scorecard.
The analogy to other sports is that one side doesn't score any points.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

a fighter not losing a single round on any judges scorecard does not necessarily mean the fight wasn't extremely close. a word like using a word like 'shut-out' to describe those fights would be kind of stupid especially considering how subjective scoring can be

It's still different than the scenario you raised, which is also a close fight but got round wins on some judge's cards.
I have no problem describing some Mayweather fights as shutouts, even if he is doing just a few punches' worth of edge on his opponent in each round.
In any case, he wanted a term for when a fighter wins all the rounds.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Watching multiple Moat Fights, I stumble on this old striking+grappling tournament from 1995 won by a certain Akihiro Gono:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEANyuDOzBg&t=402s
You should be able to pick him out by his style, since he's still got a full head of hair and looks a lot younger.
If you watch long enough, he's the guy who gets a banana split.

Half the tournament seems to be legit karate guys with varying experience in jiujitsu of some fashion.
Looks like a submission/tap is only worth points and isn't a sudden victory.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Ah I see I see, so then is a regular straight just a hard jab?

Straight is used for punches off the rear hand. Jab is for the lead hand.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mewse posted:

I wouldn't say straight and cross are synonymous because "straight punches" usually means jab+cross (left hand+right hand for orthodox)

Yeah, a jab is a straight punch, but I would never refer to a jab as just "a straight."

When describing action, I usually don't dwell too much on technique, because except for the top 20% of strikers, there's not enough discipline to keep everything really pretty while still fighting and being effective.
A lot of hooks you see in MMA are complete garbage whose only commonality is that they aren't straight punches. And some of that is excusable, between compromised stances and having to avoid kicks. If the punch lands how you want it to, that's most of the battle right there. You just call it a hook because the guy was not trying to throw it straight.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

EvanSchenck posted:

I like the weird looping hooks with the thumb pointed down, that a bunch of Russian guys throw. Those are fun.

For anyone who isn't familiar, casting punches:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JISgLclfX3c

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

And the toxx gimmicks.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

WickedHate posted:

so maybe I'm missing something about the science and there's a very good reason people only use their hands.

Hands are at the end of your arms, so you get the most range hitting with them, which is the dominant reason why they're used. Fro some strikes, the hand is also the part of the arm that's moving the fastest, which can impart more energy (and thus damage) to the target. Elbow and knees strikes can look vicious, but they're frequently moving much slower than a fist. Elbows are still effective because the elbow is bony and can concentrate force better, often leading to cuts.

Forearms are used defensively from clinch and close ranges to shield from strikes and to shove off the opponent to make space.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

In addition I think elbows are very seldom used in sparring because it's difficult to practice them safely (you don't want to slice up your sparring partner's face), so most fighters don't have a lot of practice either throwing or defending against elbows.
Agreed -- you see some gyms (mine included) having students using elbow pads and headgear, but people are generally too ginger with elbows to tune those strikes to fight-ready.

quote:

Also MMA fights frequently go to positions on the ground or in the clinch where the distance is too close to punch effectively, while elbows can be throw effectively in very short distances.
Elbows are allowed in Muay Thai, and the Thais have made an art of it. I assume because the pro fighters get so much practice with them in the ring that it makes up for less alive sparring time.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

does boxing gently caress up your brain more than football?

Depends on the position in football, and what level of competition you're talking about.

...and the pitch! posted:

It's impossible to take the sting out of the soft brain hitting hard skull on big collisions. There's nothing you can put on the outside of the head to mitigate that.

edit: I would love to be wrong

Maybe if the helmets looked like this:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Sad but appropriate that these are on the same level:

quote:

each tightly focused on a particular topic, like the New York Mets or professional boxing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Captain Log posted:

If anyone gave a poo poo, would Kimbo, Jay SB, Yuns, or some of the high level combat people we have like to take a shot at the OP?

Thanks for the praise, but I don't think I'm in other folks' league in terms of competition experience for my years in the sport.
Though I do recommend the MA thread. It's not as much high level competition discussion, but it is a decent catchall for stuff outside of the grappling thread and the fairly inactive boxing training thread.