Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Thanks for this thread - tons of great information. Is Gina Carano still fighting or did she go into the acting thing full time? She was the only reason I saw to have an interest in Strikeforce.

MMA gifs are entertaining and a thread for them would definitely be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

RobBorer posted:

never forget

She's a pretty big draw, so the Strikeforce president will imply that she'll return sometime in the near future, but she was absolutely crushed in her last fight and she's making bank right now not getting punched in the face. She's long gone.

That's what I figured. It's shady of them to tease that she'll make a return.

Thanks!

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well they're no EliteXC, but they try.

I see from the wikipedia link in the OP that they were the ones that were basically building around Kimbo and he got knocked out by that guy with the pink hair and then the scandal surrounding the rest of it. I think I remember seeing a video of that around the time it happened and remembered Kimbo being the guy from the backyard fight videos. It was pretty shocking to someone like me who didn't know the ins and outs of MMA and how terrible of a fighter Kimbo would be once put up against trained athletes. After how high Kimbo was hyped it seemed pretty crazy.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

With the rise in popularity of MMA has traditional Boxing taken a major hit in popularity nowadays? How would you compare it to the days of Tyson (just throwing a popular name out there, I know nothing about boxing anymore) and the guys that could command millions for a single fight? Do they still do that level of business for major fights today?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Is there a story behind how all the blue tinted white background fighter avatars came to be?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Grab Your Foot! posted:

Yeah they're taken from this poster:

That's a lineup of most of the big important people from the old Japanese fighting promotion Pride. A lot of us were fond of the fighters on the poster so we figured we'd take them and use them as avatars. I'm Paulo "It's Not Rape if You Do It To Yourself" Filho.

Ah, thanks! Didn't know if it was by choice or handed out as a toxx type thing or not. I just noticed there were alot of them.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Oh Em Gee posted:

IIRC Tank Abbot knocked out a guy and openly mocked him while he seized the gently caress up from being actually punched in the face.

During a WCW wrestling pay per view he (unplanned) pulled a knife on a guy and nearly stabbed him in the throat with it as well.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Saw this posted in the gif thread:

Boregasm posted:

If you think falling on your face is bad...

your foot could end up, you know, backwards.

(This didn't actually cause an injury to his foot, it just looks gross)

And it made me wonder - Crocop is obviously knocked out when he goes down (complete with arms completely spread apart not guarding himself at all) and his opponent continues throwing punches to the face anyway while the official pulls him off - is this a common thing where the guy gets caught up in the moment with the adrenaline or do guys do that on purpose? Seems like a trained fighter would know right away when a guy is legit knocked out so its always seemed weird to me that they get a few shots in before being pulled off anyway.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

A Pale Horse posted:

The general rule is go until the ref stops it. Sometimes if its a clean one shot knockout the guy won't follow it up, but its not officially over until the ref waves it off, so you'll occasionally see fighters beating their completely unconscious opponents for a few extra seconds "just to make sure".

edit: same goes with submissions. You don't release the hold until the ref waves off the fight, not when you feel your opponent tapping out. This is why having good refs is extremely important in MMA, even more so than in other combat sports.

Ah, that makes sense. It initially just seemed weird that he got three shots in completely unprotected at the end there and I didn't know if it was due to a heated rivalry and that was the exclamation point on the knockout or if it was due to rules like you explained.

niethan posted:

Some dudes (CB Dollaway iirc) fake-tap somewhere where the ref doesn't see it but the other fighter feels it, so if the one doing the submitting then lets go they keep fighting.

That's a pretty shifty tactic - does that happen often?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

With UFC being the only major game in town in some markets do they use some sort of certain method for releasing under performing fighters? Is there some sort of set number of losses that put a fighter into the red zone or something like that?

I assume at this point that they more or less have their pick of talent, right?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

One thing I've always wondered for the guys that are just starting out and make very little money - how do they survive? It seems as if the costs of just getting themselves stitched up and rehabilitated after a fight (if they took a beating) would cost far more than how much they'd make from their first few fights. Do they get any sort of medical coverage by the company or is it like pro wrestling where they are considered independent contractors and have to fend for themselves? Do they try to fit in fight training time during their day jobs?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

fatherdog posted:

In New Jersey (and I think most states), promoters are required to carry event insurance, so any injury that you incur during an actual fight is covered. Injuries during training are not.

This is the case for most lower level guys. A lot of them teach at the schools they train at for extra cash, most do some kind of part-time or contract work or other things that let them set their own hours.

Thanks for the quick answers!

I remember back when I first read a bit on MMA I saw fight purses of like $1500 or less for some of the lower guys (that's been years ago and obviously MMA has blown up since then) but it made me somewhat feel bad for these guys that are getting their faces pushed in and limbs injured in fights and usually walking away with less than 5 grand for it. Add to that the schedule of only like three or four fights a year and I couldn't see how these guys could survive without being a top star or having sponsorship money.

I guess it's similar to an indie wrestler working for 50 dollars a show (or not getting paid at all) when they first start out 'paying their dudes'. Both are pretty depressing to read about but MMA moreso since the fights are legit.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

JamMaster Flash posted:

MMA fighter reporting in.

I have a part time job that pays most of the bills (and gives me health insurance, that is the main benefit). I am a brown belt in BJJ so I teach group and private lessons on the side as well.

I have gotten free stitches a couple times after fights, but like fatherdog said, most of my real injuries come from training.

But yeah, my typical day is working 4am - 12pm then training, chilling for a few hours then training again. On days I don't work I can train more, and I will usually try to pull less hours if I am getting ready for a fight.

It's a tough lifestyle, especially lower on the food chain...I essentially have to work as hard as the top guys in order to compete with them, but I also have to make sure I have enough money for MRI's, new shinguards and fish oil. I have been told by my trainer that to make it you have to make sacrifices, and I have learned that firsthand during my amateur and pro career. I plan on seeing how far I can take it, since I am still young and I feel I am getting better every day. There's no better encouragement than that!

If anyone is interested maybe I could make a thread for questions or something, since there's all this space in the new subforum, haha.

Thanks for the answers and I would definitely be interested in first hand accounts of a fighter making their way up the ladder!

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

After watching a few more fights that have been posted here and there I've noticed a ton of leg kicks and guys kicking each other in the knees and whatnot - is there some sort of way to toughen your legs up so that your bones don't snap in half when walloping someones knees with your own unprotected leg?

It seems as if those kicks to the leg that don't hit the meaty parts hurt you nearly as much as your opponent. I'm shocked that more guys don't end up with broken legs in the middle of a fight. Again, this is most likely a stupid question but do they 'toughen' their legs somehow through repeated strikes in training or something?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Thanks! I had no idea bone tissue actually did increase density like that. I knew fractures and breaks obviously healed back together but I had no idea bones could be conditioned to absorb more damage over time.

Are training breaks and fractures common when doing conditioning like this? You always hear about guys being pulled out of fights from a 'training injury' and I've always wondered if there were more common ones that happen in training.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 10, 2011

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Just read a bit of the most recent Strikeforce thread trying to get the swing of things and I see alot of people celebrating Fedor being dealt another loss - is there a reason that he seems pretty hated here?

I've seen a ton of things in the past (on other sites lists and videos and whatnot) saying he was more or less unbeatable until his first real loss. Have people turned against him now that he's lost two in a row or has he largely been seen as overrated by PSP regulars?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

My thanks to everyone that posted an answer to my question about Fedor. I had only read bits and pieces of the story as to why people are divided on him before and obviously alot was left out about his shady management and things like that. I had read that their nonsense had caused the Fedor/UFC deal to go sour and I didn't know how much of that was Dana White being Dana White or if they really were that bad. With their apparent history of feeding him fighters Goldberg style (For those that don't know Goldberg was a pro wrestler that had an 'undefeated' streak of like 175-0 before he was finally beaten and built his streak mostly by beating jobbers (cans) to get there) I'd have to wonder if they ever really wanted him to get signed to UFC at all regardless of how much money and control were tossed at him by White. Thanks again!

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Gorefluff posted:

Watching Fedor fights really stoked my love of MMA in general, but I have also never read a single post on Sherdog, which makes me a rare and lucky type of fan.

Watching a highlight video of him and hearing how well Brock Lesnar was doing in his MMA transition (this was when he was gearing up for a title bout) were the things that got me to start paying attention to MMA. Well that and Gina Carano but that's an entirely different story altogether, haha. The more I learned about it the more fascinating it started to become to me. I got back into pro wrestling around the same time and though I watch far more wrestling than I do MMA I still like reading about it and following the threads here. I've never visited Sherdog either due to the amount of backlash it seems to get from the folks here who know their stuff.

Halloween Jack posted:

Less people disdain Fedor the fighter than Fedor the phenomenon. He's coasted on his rep as Greatest Fighter of All Time by a) remaining undefeated and b) having beaten Nog and Cro Cop. Since then he barely maintained relevance by fighting guys who aren't relevant to any kind of heavyweight rankings, and he's been the center of a shitstorm of fights, events, and promotions that kept falling through. M-1 Global and Affliction MMA both failed because they bet the farm on him, though that's not really his fault.

His management are basically Russian mafia types who are so used to operating in a post-Soviet kleptocracy that they don't remember where business ends and racketeering begins. His manager Vadim Finkelstein came right out and said "Hey, we just asked the UFC to build us a stadium in Russia and also give us a piece of the action on every future UFC event they hold in Russia; what's the big deal?"

Alot of great information in this post, thank you. In a way it kind of seems unfortunate that Fedor relies on these shady people as much as he does. He seems like a genuinely skilled fighter that could probably have worked his way up the ladder on his own (hardcore fight fans may disagree - just saying this from a casual fan perspective I guess) but who knows if he would have had the hype surrounding him that he did before his first real loss. It's hard to say if they actually managed to build him into what he is by using their shady tactics or if he could have done it himself. The backstage nonsense of MMA to me is more interesting than the actual in-ring (octagon?) stuff in the same way that it is with pro wrestling.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Seeing stuff like this brings up a few questions - Have there been fighters that have been suspended/fired or anything like that for continuing to beat the poo poo out of a guy they just knocked out or submitted long after the ref has called the fight?

Also have there been any major incidents where a fighter was dazed or out on his feet and he struck a referee either intentionally or on accident maybe thinking he was the other fighter? Are the officials required to have any sort of martial arts training for help in handling unruly fighters until they can get someone else inside the cage to assist in case one has a freakout/breakdown?

Sorry to make it all ref chat all the sudden but they're things I wonder every time I see one of these officials trying to pull back a guy like twice their size in the middle of a beatdown.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Street Horrrsing posted:

Mike Kyle deserved to get charged with assault with what he did in the ring, and only got an 18 month suspension for it.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=-8uisnPoMCE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D-8uisnPoMCE

Goddamn - this guy went ahead and threw in as many from the 'do not use' list as he could there. Kick to the face on a downed fighter, thumb to the eye, punch after a stoppage etc. The announcers saying something like "This is kind of what he does - he just loses it" shows that this guy probably shouldn't have been booked for fights in the first place.

Thanks for the answers and videos. I can't help but find it funny watching guys going for a takedown on a ref when they are out of it as long as nobody gets hurt. Good to know that fighters throwing punches at officials is rare with all the rattled brains after some of the strikes they take.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

It was posted in the UFC PPV discussion thread after the weigh ins that some guys put on 15 or more pounds after weigh ins and it has me wondering - what (if anything) does all of this fairly drastic weight cutting and gain multiple times a year do to these fighters physically? I can't imagine it's good for the body but are there any cases where it was particularly harmful to one of them?

And is there a reason fighters cut drastically right before a fight and then gain the weight back instead of just staying at fight weight during training leading up to the fight? Are the few extra pounds they get from cutting then dehydrating really worth ending up in less than optimal condition the night before a fight? A lot of them look almost sickly thin during weigh ins.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I understand training hard for an upcoming fight and whatnot but beating the poo poo out of each other in training and then getting knocked out of the fight/payday you are training for because of an injury like a cut seems really pointless and it seems like it happens fairly often.

Why aren't they wearing headguards/faceguards if they're going to go at it that badly during training sessions? I mean it's not going to give you the true fight experience or whatever but being able to make it to the octagon has to be better than not at all.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Have there been many cases in history like the UFC is dealing with right now for Chael's fight at UFC 175? Don't they usually just take a fight off the card or reschedule it further out if they have difficulty with multiple fighters having to drop out before the event or is that totally up to the remaining fighter as to whether or not he'll fight whoever they decide to toss in on short notice? Seems weird they're outright listing it as Chael VS TBD - I think that's the first time I've seen that on an official card rundown.

Curious to see who he actually ends up fighting after all the drug test/availability dust settles if Vitor also ends up being removed.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

Sarah Kaufman had two opponents fall out before fighting Leslie Smith just a few months ago (Though both were injury replacements)

Dangersim posted:

UFC 151 was the biggest clusterfuck in history

MassRafTer posted:

There have been fights where an injury forced a replacement, then another injury forced the original opponent out leaving two injury replacements to fight each other. Then one of the injury replacements got injured and they brought in another replacement. UFC really doesn't like cancelling fights.

Appreciate the answers. Didn't know they usually tried so hard to keep a fight on the card and it's funny that UFC 151 was mentioned because I think my view on that was partially clouded by them outright cancelling UFC 151 when Jones refused to fight Sonnen. Apparently that was more of a one time thing then.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

fatherdog posted:

Venues for fight shows have to be booked months in advance, ticket sales begin months in advance, tons of bout agreements have to be sent out which is work and billable hours for employees, and for ppvs there's contractual stuff going on with the ppv providers. If you have to straight up cancel a show it costs a shitload of money.

Yeah - I was talking more about individual fights being tossed and not entire cards but I guess in that case it was the headliner fight so people would have been pissed either way. Still crazy to me that Jones looked at the situation and just said "nope" and put his employer in one of it's most embarrassing situations ever. Then he manhandled Chael later on anyway.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Wait when did crossfit become an MMA training thing

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I've noticed notorious eye poker and fight ducker Bones uses elbow/forearm strikes really well and they seem to do a ton of damage when they connect - so my question is if there is a specific reason that striking method isn't used more often by more fighters? Could be that I haven't seen as many fights as many people here so maybe my sample isn't large enough to notice them being thrown more but overall it seems like close quarters elbows aren't used nearly as much as they could be. Does it have to do with Jones' specific fighting style or would guys just rather use punches like uppercuts or go straight submission attempts when in close range instead?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Appreciate the responses - definitely solved my question. The length of a guys arm for moves like that is one of those things you can forget to factor in but it definitely makes sense being that reach means so much in a fight in general. Didn't know that they didn't come up in training much - I figured guys would be training with the padded helmets or pads on their arms for stuff like that to get a feel for it. Going to have to check out some of the fights that were mentioned too.

Elbows connecting hard are one of those strikes that make me cringe seeing a guy get mashed with them but I can't look away when they happen. Sorta like liver shots.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

For me personally it's generally water under the bridge now that he isn't champ and Weidman wrecked him twice. My opinion on him also cooled after Jon Jones showed up and exuded every dickish, difficult-to-work-with quality Anderson had magnified tenfold.

This is exactly what got me thinking Anderson Silva wasn't that bad. Well Jones and most recently Wanderlei. It was a team effort.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

We all know about broken legs from checked kicks like Anderson Silva's leg exploding - but have there been mid fight instances of broken arms/hands/forearms from checked head or body kicks? We see guys block full force head kicks with their hands and forearms constantly but I don't remember any noticeable mid-fight injuries from it.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I appreciate all the answers and examples. I looked up a lot of them and especially with things like the Rothwell example drat - it seems insane that someone can break an arm during a fight and still gut through it to pull off a win. Adrenaline is a hell of a thing. Just thinking about how many fighters have broken a hand during a fight and continued to throw punches with it anyway makes me cringe on how much that had to have hurt.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Reminds me of that one Tyson documentary from years ago that talks about how he never visualized punching a guy, he visualized punching through his head and into whatever was behind him and that's why he hits so hard. I don't remember the exact quote but the dead eyed serious way he said it was pretty terrifying. Tyson is a scary dude when he wants to be - then you see him holding his pigeons and laughing and making jokes.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I.N.R.I posted:

isnt that common sense that all strikers are taught? though i dont disagree that he is a ferocious person

No Idea, I've never been taught to strike or trained in MMA unfortunately. But if it is then it still sounded much scarier coming from Tyson with his dead eyes than it would from a coach I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

BlindSite posted:

It's how my dad taught me to throw a punch and just about every coach I've ever had has done too. It's pretty standard.

Tyson was just a rediculous genetic mix who happened to find two coaches who could turn him into an irresistible destructive force.

Look at this guy, all 'having a dad'