Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Also fought Ray Mercer in Alabama with a gentlemen's agreement not to throw kicks, only to throw a kick and then get KO'd stone cold unconscious in 10 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

red19fire posted:

Can someone explain who the Garv is? From what I can gather, I think he was a poster here that used SASMMA opinions and posts as articles on his website. It looks like he has a local NY/NJ MMA site.

I believe he was on what is now mma.tv forums from it's early days (as a website to sell 'The Fighter's Notebook' instructional) long before SA. I guess anyone who was involved in grassroots MMA at the time was on there and he made enough contacts to be person known in that local scene.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Stoven posted:

Can anyone recommend some Bas fights to watch? He sounds awesome but he was before I got into it so I feel like I'm missing out.

The highlight DVD he did commentating his Pancrase fights is entertaining enough. His second fight with Funaki and the Frank Shamrock fight are probably the best to check out.

His two fights in the UFC are worth seeing (TK and Randleman), both were controversial as hell at the time.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Phyzzle posted:

But one thing that could be changed is the meaning of "down". Freestyle wrestling considers a competitor down when a hand is on the floor, but the hand not counting (the football version) might make more sense.

FILA rule is 3 points of contact literally "three points of contact: two arms and one knee or two knees and one arm or the head".

For example, if someone has one hand on the floor but they're on their feet and their opponent puts them into a position of danger (say a front gut wrench from standing for the sake of example) it would be 3 points for a standing technique and not 2 points for a par terre technique.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Phyzzle posted:

I meant that a takedown doesn't require that the knees touch. But maybe that's just in collegiate wrestling and not Olympic freestyle.

Under FILA rules, the 1 point standing technique is awarded when the three points of contact are made (as I copy pasted before) and the top wrestler is behind them.

FILA has beach wrestling too and I believe under those rules you are awarded a point for making their hand touch the ground.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I've trained in boxing gyms all over my state and I never seen a first timer spar.

Even if you claim to have amateur fights or sparred at the gym you just came from they'd wait a while to check you out.

I came to one with years of training behind me, a decent amount of sparring but no bouts and I just skipped and did bagwork for 3 months before they were willing to do mitt work with me. This was a well known trainer who's gym had produced some household names in Australia over the last 30 years.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

xcore posted:

Are they not trained very often or something? I'm sure you're point is correct, but with the amount of BJJ black and brown belts running around, I would have thought those fighters would know what those small nuances are.

All these small things that can go wrong make it a lower percentage technique. I'd say in a lot of cases under MMA rules people may be more inclined to only use north south as a way to transition to side control.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I've flipped through Eddie Bravo books at the martial arts store on more than one occasion and bookmarked this thread and I don't understand.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Okay, as long as the pale wonder isn't Jeff Monson I'm happy not to understand.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Wait when did crossfit become an MMA training thing

It's part of the standard offering for all the MMA schools here, you know the kind with the expensive monthly contracts and lots of young white collar hobbyist students that's mostly just BJJ with a small cage off to one side.

Pocket Billiards fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 5, 2014

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

-Atom- posted:

Can someone give me a brief rundown of who Monte Cox is and why he seems like such an integral figure in the sport at one time? I see and hear his name mentioned often, but I've yet to get the real skinny on this fellow.

As I understand it, he got into promoting and managing fighters in the mid 90s through Pat Militech. MMA was a much smaller pond back then.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Nothing tops Andy Anderson vs Jon Hess for me.

A chubby pumpkin-headed midget with a ginger pedo moustache (billed as 86-0 in bare knuckle underground challenge matches with all wins by KO) and an unathletic 300lb man flailing at each other like toddlers for 90 seconds.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I know it's not a head kick, but I think that push kick from Pat Smith on Moncayo at UFC 6 right at the beginning of the fight is still one of the best kicks I've seen in competition.

1996 was Maurice Smith cracking Silveira with a huge headkick, but that was outside UFC.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Early on, seeing him wipe out Din Thomas and Caol Uno was cool. Guys like Saulo Ribeiro doing lovely in MMA really lowered my expectations for another BJJ world champion so seeing him wipe out 3 guys in a row with intensity was a real surprise.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I would say weight cutting is pretty much universal for wrestling under UWW rules. Its 24hr weigh ins and the weight range per class is huge. When women's freestyle was added to the olympic program they kept the total number of medals the same as before when it was only two male styles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Pride 10 is my favourite It has a bit of everything that made Pride great.