Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Any documentaries or perhaps books that could explain the history and evolution of martial arts throughout the world or perhaps throughout Asia or something? Any good martial arts documentaries period?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Wanted to throw it out there that I have some C++ experience and am currently taking an Advanced Algorithms course and I'd be interested in assisting as well. Everyone who does MMA can code right?

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Terry Etim experienced the "fencing response". However, I'm not sure what causes it and why some other dudes just get slumped out instead.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

henkman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--kqaR4QAHE&t=525s

I don't know, leg kicks might have attributed to it but he was trying to pull guard other times in the fight

DQ (refused to stand from butt scoot)

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

I have no idea how wrestling is more popular than MMA.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Does Freddie Roach suffer from some form of dementia? I apologize if this is an offensive question but something seems off about his speech/head movements.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

This is why: $$$. Promotions are looking to make money today, not in a few years from now by slowly and sustainably building up large enough MMA communities.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Manny Pacquiao spoke out against gay marriage.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Is there like, a guide or a youtube video to accurately describe the differences between K1, Muay Thai, Dutch kickboxing, and the other types of kicking and boxings? I honestly have no idea where one begins and the other stops.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

henkman posted:

Do you have a link to anything supporting that? I've only been told that headgear really just prevents cuts

Dude just think of the physics... the headgear allows the impact to be spread out over a wider and larger surface area, therefor reducing the amount of force to any one point of impact aka BLUNTING the impact. Headgear does not prevent being knocked out, as the "majority" (don't have any sources for this) of knock outs are the result of unanticipated rotational force of the head, of which headgear does not provide much prevention against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

I don't think anyone is trying to bring back knees to a downed opponent (correct me if I'm wrong), just looking to change the wording of the rules so that a hand touching the mat won't count as a downed opponent.