Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Gomi Pile posted:

rousimar palhares, demian maia, ricardo almeida

Reports of Maia's one-dimensional game are greatly exaggerated. Sure, BJJ will always be his go-to because he's absurdly great at it, but you can't throw Chael Sonnen around if you have no understanding of wrestling, and his striking's not awful either. Marquardt and Anderson have significantly better striking than him, but that's not such a damning statement.

I think Joe Warren is probably the most one-dimensional MMA fighter who regularly competes on TV these days. Roger Gracie is also be a pretty good candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Reminder that Texas has no athletic commission, just a "Department of Licensing and Regulation" that also does things like inspect elevators, license tow-trucks and determine who can drill wells. Not oil wells, though, for that you have to go to the Railroad Commission :psyduck:

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Xguard86 posted:

the not stopping until the ref breaks it up dates all the way back to UFC 1 when Gracie choked Shamrock, let go when he felt a tap and then there was a big argument if he tapped or not because the ref never saw it happen.

Which is hilarious because it was one of the most conspicuous taps I have ever seen.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Who gives a gently caress if Jon Jones is a cool dude? He's totally not, but you aren't inviting him to a dinner party, just watch him smash faces and enjoy it.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Droopy Goines posted:

Akebono vs Royce Gracie is probably the most well known fight where a wristlock was used to end the fight.

also wich alot of people dont get is this guy was a sumo wrestler and he didnt use his sumo art in the ring some reason they dont let sumos use it. im guessing because they send there apponent flying and dead
TheSumoSamurai 2 days ago

he wasnt using sumo in this fight or the other guy would be dead or unconcious in the crows somwhere.
TheSumoSamurai 2 days ago

i hate ju jitsu, karate kills all
Focusmanz 1 week ago

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Who is Thonglor? What's all the Thonglor fandom about?

Master Thonglor is the flamboyant Muay Thai coach for Team Alpha Male, a fight team composed entirely of tiny So-Cal bros. In his spare time he enjoys gambling and messing with possums. His most prominent public appearance was when he casually carried the head tiny bro, Urijah Faber, to his stool in between rounds of the Aldo fight because Faber had been crippled by leg kicks. Leg kicks and defending them are a very fundamental part of Muay Thai, so this incident does not reflect particularly well on his coaching ability.

This is Master Thonglor:

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
iirc the Panda Method also placed a lot of weight on which fighter seemed the angriest :laugh:

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I think screens for the judges are an obvious good idea but it has to be done right and there some issues that immediately arise:

(1) Would the judges have control over which camera angle their monitor displays?
- If they do have control, how much of the action are judges going to miss while messing with their monitors because they're old and befuddled by technology? Will there be uniformity in what angles are available and how they are selected, or will these already confused judges have to figure out some new system for every event/promotion?
- If judges don't control the angles, are we concerned about the fact that the promoter/producers can now have some control over what the judges do and don't see? Also, every UFC event features an accidental cut to a wide shot of the arena or 3 minutes without audio, what happens if the judges' feed should accidentally (or even "accidentally") cut out at a crucial moment in a fight? Obviously they can just look up at the cage, but it would be a serious distraction.

(2) Would there be monitors for every event, even untelevised events?
- If there would be, do we think the promoters of untelevised shows are competent enough to set up cameras/monitors correctly? Are we concerned about this big extra cost to small shows?
- If there wouldn't be, does it bother us that the judging methods are going to differ based solely on whether the fight is on TV? Would televised shows be required to provide judges' monitors, or would it be up to the promoter?

Basically I think I can understand why Kizer freaked out a little bit when he walked in and saw monitors set up without any of these questions being answered. The unfortunate thing is that he will never make the effort to answer these questions and because of that we won't get monitors for judges.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Elmo Oxygen posted:

I can't believe they gave us our own forum.

It's funny, too, because I can rarely tell which MMA thread I'm reading. It's all sort of one big conversation. I guess it used to be that way even when there were just a couple of threads in SAS.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
mobn i have never had a problem with you as a poster but is way past time for you to drop this.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Here's a question I've had for a while - is there any good reason that fighters shouldn't be allowed to wear rashguards in American male MMA? I mean I assume that the unified rules include apparel and I know the unified rules are extremely tough to modify, but would it actually cause any problems? Would they end up getting pulled over people's faces or something? It seems like if there's not a problem with people using rashguards as a ligature in sub grappling competition there shouldn't be one in MMA.

Personally I think the whole thing would look a lot less gay if there was less bare, sweaty skin getting rubbed all over everything. Instead we could have scuba commando fights! Plus distinctive tops would make it less necessary for fighters to have retarded tattoos and hair just so you can tell them apart.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

fatherdog posted:

At one point Brian Cimins tried to get his brand of antibacterial rashguards approved for fight apparel; the NSAC told him that they barred any upper-body apparel because it could be abrasive and therefore used to worsen cuts.

I guess that makes a certain amount of sense. But what about women's MMA? They're allowed to wear full rashguards aren't they?

I don't TRAIN (I'm sure you could tell) so I don't really know what kinds of rashguards are out there. Do you think the NSAC has a point, or would it be relatively easy to designate a "regulation" rashguard that would not be abrasive enough to help open a cut? I guess any fabric is going to wipe vaseline out of a cut better than sweaty skin, I'll give them that.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Pneub posted:

Why don't they call them "shirts"?

Edit: This post contained only wrong statements. You are better off without it.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 8, 2011

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Yeah ok so I was dropping wisdom mobn-style.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Gomi Pile posted:

is that why your dad keeps calling me, crying endlessly about his "unbelievably gay son"?

haha we got a new subforum created so you could do this

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
It's probably about keeping it discretionary so the UFC can choose who they want to reward and how much. It's totally shady, but the UFC doesn't want to be obligated to pay more than a token amount if the fighter puts on a boring fight or otherwise embarrasses the promotion. Everyone expects some bonus if all goes as expected, it can be bumped up or reduced depending on how the fights went down and how much money was made.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
The bus driver is driving the bus 8 hours a day 5 days a week. UFC Fighters might spend 45 minutes a year fighting on TV. Medical and travel expenses associated with these fights are covered. If you count sponsorships and bonuses, UFC fighters who make it on TV/PPV probably earn more in 15 minutes than a bus driver does in a year. If they're successful it's going to be a LOT more.

I know the fighters spend a lot of time and money on training, but I seriously doubt many of them spend 8 hours a day at it. I bet a lot of them make as much as the bus driver just from their day jobs as engineers, head bouncers, MMA instructors, shady real estate agents, etc.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Maybe it makes it less legitimate as a sport, but I'm so down with paying guys who put on a show as much as guys who are winning at the highest levels. Jon Fitch is a great fighter who shouldn't be penalized for doing what it takes to win, but if I found out Matt Brown was getting paid the same as Fitch I'd be 100% cool with that.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
his badness does not approach that of dan miragliotta yet seldom is heard a discouraging word about big dan

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Now it's driving me crazy, I totally remember seeing Mike Pyle do an amazing sweep from under side control. I'm gonna say it had to be either the Hathaway or the Lennox fight.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
It's weird to me that we label so many different regional sports from around the world as some form of "wrestling" but not the sport of judo. Call me crazy but when I watch it it looks a hell of a lot like wrestling with a slightly different ruleset and outfit. It's a 2-player game where the object is to throw your opponent down on a mat. Is there some major distinction I'm missing, or is it just a cultural thing? I mean, if that crazy turkish leather pants oil rubdown thing is called wrestling...

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
according to wikipedia you can win a match in the turkish national glistening man game by getting "an effective hold" on your opponent's leather shorts.

xguard's explanation makes a lot of sense to me, though.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Lid posted:

Has any fight in a major organisation resulted in a submission victory via omoplata?

Gracie beat Akebono with one at K-1 Dynamite!!! 2004, but it's highly questionable whether that counts as a fight in a major organization.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

1st AD posted:

I thought Akebono tapped to the wristlock.

It's very possible but I figure if someone gets a tap with an omoplata/facelock it should still count as a win via omoplata and I don't think an omoplata/wristlock is any different.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
It's annoying, but it's smart. Fitch knows not to bet on MMA, especially when it's his reputation he's gambling with. He knows he has the potential to beat anyone at 170, but he also knows it's possible for him to lose against anyone they'd book him against. A loss against someone who's in the middle of the pack right now would practically guarantee Fitch won't get another title shot.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Xguard86 posted:

to quote draculino maghalese:

"I have seen men fight with broken arms, I have never seen one fight asleep"

chris leben? cheick kongo? mods?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Pneub posted:

I ain't talking about pain compliance. I'm saying that going all ape crazy and poking out eyeballs and biting ears off and poo poo would be, on average, the easiest way to beat someone in a "fight" (I just threw two things together in the first post). 99% of applicable people in the world wouldn't be able to set up an effective ground defense if you pulled their dick off.

i'm generally inclined to think this is true, but then again nobody managed to kick royce in the dick back in the day so who even knows

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
plus royce did a ton of poo poo that would be illegal now in those early tournaments.

but today's fighters would gently caress him up even if they had to follow the unified rules and he didn't. you can't bite anyone's eyes if you have been bitch-tossed and beaten unconscious.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

BlindSite posted:

It's two fold one is to show the ref "hey brah, I'm bored as gently caress can you stand us up please" the other is to say to his opponent "I'm bored as gently caress, do something, like jump in my guard or try to punch me so I can grab for a sweep or sub"

You usually see it with BJJ guys who have good subs against strikers who score a knockdown or if a BJJ dude fails with a takedown. If you're scrambling you usually are open to eating a shot so if you've got the base you can lie back relatively comfortable your legs can keep your opponent at distance on his feet until he's ready to enter your guard, give you an opening or allow the ref to stand you up.

It's equal parts ring craft, showing off and taunting your opponent.

wow, i always assumed it was to give themselves a wider/more stable base to throw upkicks and poo poo. the more you know.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
i'm 99% sure he means "top control"

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Snowman_McK posted:

This may be a tricky question to answer, but one of the criticisms of the unified rules is that it favours wrestlers and does not allow head kicks to downed opponents. These are often quoted together, as if they tie together. Does anyone know the line of reasoning that gets you there? I mean, wrestlers are awesome at putting people on the ground, and if they're allowed to stomp and soccer kick, how is that going to work against them?

People are retarded. The main idea of this is that knees to a grounded opponent would let you destroy a wrestler who's sitting on one knee clutching at your legs, Munoz style. Maybe there's something to that, but a) you're already allowed to knee the head of a wrestler shooting in on you and b) if knees to the head were allowed on the ground wrestlers would just take everybody down and knee them to death from side control.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
One thing I'd like to see more of is knees to the body of turtled opponents, probably because I hate it when fighters turtle. JBJ landed a loving brutal one on Shogun just before the end of their fight.

1st AD posted:

Is it legal to do a 12-to-6 elbow to the body from side control? I don't see anyone really going for those, but it seems like an obvious strike to go for if you're worried about giving up position.

Nope, 12-6 elbows are illegal from every position, regardless of where they land (although I guess you can always do 11-6 elbows). Dumbest rule by far.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 12, 2011

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Save Russian Jews posted:

has that ever been proven or is that just a thing joe rogan thinks

Boregasm posted:

According to John McCarthy the reason it's banned is because a doctor saw a fight where a dude 12-6 elbows his opponent in the back of the head and said he would never sanction a sport that allowed that strike.

the only accounts i've ever heard are rogan's and mccarthy's. i'd be much more inclined to believe mccarthy's version, although it's possible that neither of them are accurate. or hell, maybe they're both accurate. i'm sure more than one person was part of the debate over the rules and they may have had different reasons for supporting the same rule.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

kimbo305 posted:

Dennis Hallman promotes his grappling sock, which is legal for MMA and supposedly gives you more traction. I'm not sure why it isn't more popular with grapplers.

makes it harder to grab the fence with your toes?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
OK, now that I actually looked up what a grappling sock looks like I'd say that I actually have seen several fighters wear at least one of those in the cage. As for why more people don't use them, I imagine one reason is that they probably make it a lot harder to slip out of foot/ankle locks.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
As usual I don't know poo poo, but it sounds like that basically means "freestyle fighting," which is a perfectly reasonable thing to call a no-holds-barred striking/grappling style.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

fatherdog posted:

On the feet, if one guy hits the other guy with "a couple weak punches" and the other guy swings for a couple huge haymakers and misses them all, we don't give the round to the guy missing haymakers. Why would we give the round to the guy missing submissions?

I totally agree that damage should always score more than position, but that's totally not how fights actually get scored. A fighter who eats a few big punches in the first minute and then spends the remainder of the round holding his opponent down will usually win on the scorecards. Keeping an opponent trapped in a triangle or guillotine should count for at least as much as being on top, is all I'm saying.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

DannoMack posted:

I was just sitting here remembering UFC 83 and how mad we all were at Kalib Starnes for running away the whole fight... Why did he do that? I'm getting frustrated just thinking about it.

He made a post on Sherdog that basically just says he couldn't take Quarry down and every time he tried to strike with him he almost got knocked out. Also he broke his foot when Quarry checked a leg kick. In his mind the fight was already hopelessly lost and he could either move backwards or get knocked out.

It makes as much sense as any other explanation I've heard.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I think it'll be easier to be interested in GSP when he finally gets back. When he's coming off a long break/serious injury, there might actually be some questions that a fight could answer. That was not the case during the leadup to his last few fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

RobBorer posted:

what about matt brown vs footstomps drago

that one's pretty weird though because there's like 3 times when it probably would have been stopped if matt brown kept fighting instead of having a little conference with yves about stopping it.

that's what's so brutal about matt brown's style though, the way he never really pours it on. he just keeps delivering one heavy, deliberate shot after another at a moderate but steady pace. when he really hurts an opponent they end up absorbing so many big shots well after the point where the fight would end if he just swarmed on them. pete sell and luis ramos are probably the best examples of that.