Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Ah, that makes sense. It initially just seemed weird that he got three shots in completely unprotected at the end there and I didn't know if it was due to a heated rivalry and that was the exclamation point on the knockout or if it was due to rules like you explained.

That's a pretty shifty tactic - does that happen often?

Not really. Well, I guess if done well the audience doesn't notice so maybe it happens way more often than I think, but even by professional fighter standards it's an rear end in a top hat thing to do. It also rarely works. The only high profile fighter I can think of who's known for doing it is Matt Lindland and his Team Quest buddies. You can see his training partner and noted rear end in a top hat Chael Sonnen try to pull it in his fight against Silva, but the ref spots it and counts it.

It's just a lovely desperation move that you do if you're a prick and you're about to lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Grifter posted:

How much does it cost a bar to show a PPV?

It depends on the size of the joint, but I remember seeing $500-1500 thrown around once in a news article.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Pneub posted:

Am I reading this wrong, or does he expect the judges to look up at the screens above the crowd if they can't see what's going on?

He thinks looking through the cage at the fight from ringside is more impartial than screens with multiple angles. Yes, he's not very smart.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Yeah. The Gracie's liked no time limit/infinite round fights. Sometimes they'd get rid of the refs too, so you could only lose by tapout or by having your corner throw in the towel. I'm pretty sure Royce has a couple of draw's on his record from cases where he negotiated the fight to have no judges.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 31, 2011

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Paul Pot posted:

The last TUF reminded me to ask a thing: How come when two equally weak/mediocre wrestlers fight and one has double underhooks against the cage we hardly ever see bear hug takedowns...Fitch pulls this off a lot and he's not an elite wrestler.

Fitch is a pretty drat good wrestler (in an MMA context) :confused:. As for not seeing the takedown, I'd chalk it up to two lovely wrestlers nullifying each others lovely wrestling. But I'd like to hear a technical explanation.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Japan like's milking it's old stars instead of building new one's, and all their old stars have left/are walking corpses. Not that the UFC doesn't do that to some extent too, but it's a lot worse over there. They do their matchmaking........differently. Lack of public interest and lack of money. Someone who's been around for longer than I have can probably go in depth.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Someone post the .gif. of Carwin beating Mir's lifeless corpse as Dan watches.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Haraksha posted:

I just imagine if Overeem said he had sex with the belt(s) on goons would give him a high five. They're probably even make a hilarious rape joke about it, too.

If you're fat, awkward and have lovely fights everything you do seems pathetic. If you're a dude who looks like superman and toss's bitches around like no one's business you get a lot more leeway.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
One day Silva's reflexes are gonna slow down and he's gonna not be able to get away with keeping his hands so low. But until then it looks pretty cool.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I understand the mindset a bit, but I'm kinda frustrated by name guys who refuse to fight less known guys. You get a name by beating an established fighter. Someone's gotta give them that chance.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
What are some good Bas Rutten fights to watch? I've never actually looked at his stuff beyond highlight reals. I figure I should look at the two UFC ones, but I don't know poo poo about Pancrase.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Thanks. More fighter's need to narrate their own fights.

Pancrase slap boxing is really weird though. Seems stupid that you can kick the head but not punch it, but there were a lot of stupid things in 90's MMA I guess.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
A cop told me that if he ever had to deal with someone where pain compliance wasn't working, blood chokes were the go-to since it'll put you out whether you feel pain or not.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I know it was against Nog, (and the real test will be against Dos Santos) but the general reaction from the Velasquez - Nog fight was "When the hell did Velasquez learn to box?"

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Dat's da one.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Or Mazzagatti forgot to stop the fight.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Fat Twitter Man posted:

I like how people say PRIDE rules didn't favor wrestlers when they've never considered the implications of knees to the head on the ground. Just from our most recent UFC wrestling vs jiujitsu stinker, as awful as his striking is, Phil Davis would have just soccer kicked Magalhaes to oblivion in their fight if the unified rules didn't force him to follow Vinny down every time he got a takedown.

Coleman/Vovchanchyn.gif

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I forget what's on that DVD but I think twenty bucks is worth Trigg/Hughes 2 alone.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
That was the start of the James Irvin curse.

E: Oh, my mistake, I assumed it was Irvin/Southworth. Those guys fell out of the cage but I don't think they were knocked out, it just got NC'd.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 23, 2013

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
My kickboxing coach told me to be subtle with head movement. Get just a little out of the way and then counter. His rational was that if you're ducking and weaving like a boxer someone who knows what they're doing is gonna grab your head when it's low and knee your face in.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

dokmo posted:

I can tell you as a point of comparison, the median basketball player misses 10% of the season with injuries. I think hockey is similar. Does the average fighter have to back out or reshedule 1/10th of his fights? That seems like it might be in the ballpark.

Anecdotally that...sounds about right? Excluding your outliers like Nog. I suppose the main difference (and I might be wrong about this, and who knows if it even changes anything) is that basketball players predominantly get injured during games while fighters usually injure themselves in training. But fighters spend months training for a fight and ballers play three times a week so I dunno if you can make a meaningful interpretation of that.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
It's pretty easy to retrospectively hand-wave away the Cote, Leites and Maia fights by buying into his mystique and saying he's not obligated to put on a good fight, but they were reallllllly loving embarrassing at the time. Part of the crazy hype for Silva/Sonnen 1 was because Silva's popularity was at an all time low before that fight. You can't contractually make someone do more than the bare minimum, but it was pretty bad. Dana was threatening to put him on the prelims (which was probably just a bogus threat), but after three shows being burned with him putting in low effort terrible headline fights making him not be the final fight of the night honestly doesn't seem unreasonable.

Anderson rules. He does crazy cool poo poo and I like watching him, usually. I just don't agree when people try to justify the way he fought in those three fights.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I'm with fatherdog on this one. I don't want to get into the morality of whether someone's obligated to try their hardest, I just think the idea that intentionally doing a lovely job to make a point about matchmaking is stupid.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Any recommendations for good old-school boxing fights to watch? I don't know poo poo about boxing.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Agreed posted:

is that a thing that actually happened? haha, I mean, cuts are harsh, and a person wants candy now and again... that's hilarious.

Yes. Chris Leben is pretty loving dumb, even by fighter standards.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Grifter posted:

When I think accuracy, I think Anderson.

He waits for the right moment and then just goes straight through the guard and hits on the button.

Hunt does this a lot too (except standing up). He barely throws volume these days, he's just accurate as hell.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
BJ Penn is a good test of who actually watches fights because his record doesn't always look spectacular on paper, but he passes the eye test so hard. He put his skills together in a way that was way ahead of his time. People will forever (deservedly) make fun of him for his silly boxing in the last Edgar fight, but there was a time when he was considered to be the best boxer in MMA. His fluidity and transitions between his striking and ground game was so slick back in the era when people were more one dimensional. It's easy to compare him to fighters nowadays and go meh, but he burst onto the scene in displays of extreme violence and made pretty much every lightweight (and a few welterweights) he fought up until Edgar look like chumps.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Hi guys, looking here to get into music. I'd like to read about it but I'd rather not listen to anything. Any recommendations?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
UFC records are typically the opposite of padded because they have an up and out policy where typically winners match up with winners and every fight is against someone higher ranked until you get to the tile. Meanwhile,

quote:

Following Saúl Álvarez's victory against Miguel Cotto, talks began between the Golovkin and Alvarez camps over the future WBC title defense. In the end, an agreement was ultimately reached to allow interim bouts before the fight to, in the words of WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman, "maximize the interest in their highly anticipated showdown."[30]

That kind of stuff doesn't happen in MMA/UFC, mostly. The "ok let's go off for a year and fight some cans to build up some interest before doing the real fight" isn't something that the UFC is interested in (or most fans, for the matter).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Dangersim posted:

Speaking of vasyl lomanchenko if any if you guys haven't seen him fight you should. Super slick southpaw who's just been destroying people. He broke his left (power) hand in one fight and then still won all of the rounds with his lead hand only.

Oh yeah, I don't watch much boxing but I remember that guy because he had a cool undercard fight before Mayweather/Pac.