Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Effective grappling isn't defined very well. Taken in isolation, is pressing someone against the fence for 2 minutes effective? Is passing guard effective?

I'd say neither of those. The only effective grappling should be attempts to cause damage (a slam or submission attempt). Dominant position (or ride time, as it's called in collegiate wrestling) should not factor in at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Is it true that the emphasis on elbows began as a reaction to modern laws requiring that competitors wear boxing gloves, instead of the traditional broken glass glued-on to the fists?

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
You can do what Shaolin monks used to do, develop their chins by swinging sandbags into each other's faces.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

mobn posted:

Did you just watch 36th Chamber of Shaolin too?

And the sequels.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

mobn posted:

Holy poo poo, there are sequels? I haven't seen those anywhere, are they just numbered titles, or are they called something different?

They are sometimes all called The Master Killer movies instead of the 36th chamber.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
While most Kung Fu consists of essoteric traditions, there are some sparring-heavy schools. San Shou is a sport/martial art with a curriculum derived from Kung Fu. Cung Le was quite successful in MMA with that style. Kung Fu practitioners sparring tend to look like Dominick Cruz, constantly facing different directions. No idea if he's got any of his style from that, though.

Judo is well represented, but Greco-Roman wrestling has had a lot more success. It's mainly because Judo guys train with gis, and maybe also because Judo would emphasize throws that will work on a larger opponent. (Wrestlers have a knack for picking someone up with the sheer force of their lower back muscles, which wouldn't make sense in self-defense without weight classes).

Anyway, Judo, it works bitches.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Actually, biting, eye-gouging, or groin strikes in were illegal UFC 1.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ki-ufceone040209

I don't know if there are any tournaments you could watch on tape which allowed that stuff. Vale Tudo International allowed groin attacks, but still no biting or eye-gouging.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
I remember hearing the announcers say during the event that they were "against the rules" (might be thinking of UFC 2). Where did you hear otherwise?

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Also, it's good technique to keep your head mobile and off the ground at all times. This is actually somewhat tiring if you try it, so it's just easier to hold your head up by hand.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
I've seen a BJJ instructional video where you're told not to spend too much time on take downs, since time with a training partner should be spent on valuable groundwork, as "real fights will go to the ground."

For a classic Wrestler vs. Grappler matchup, check out (Dubai grappling champion) Damian Maia vs. (NCAA wrestling champion) Mark Munoz. Munoz is able to take Maia down and get top position, but Maia is often able to curl up like a shrimp to get his legs between him and his opponent, then methodically shift position.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
It would be hard to bring back knees to the head of a downed opponent with that Gary Goodridge crucifix fight in the books.

But one thing that could be changed is the meaning of "down". Freestyle wrestling considers a competitor down when a hand is on the floor, but the hand not counting (the football version) might make more sense.

Plenty of nasty knees happen when no hands are on the ground during a shoot, but I'm trying to imagine a scenario where a fighter is flung or tripped so that he lands on one hand in position for a knee or kick flush on the head. The only time you really see someone touching one hand to the ground is when he's using the rule as a gimmick - instead of defending himself from a strong legged opponent who often has no idea that the hand is touching.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

david carmichael posted:

misaki/akiyama

Interesting. It looks like the kick was aimed at the head while fully down on one knee, then it landed with three points down. Hopefully, getting rid of hand on the mat = down would still strongly discourage anyone from trying that kick, because it risks landing a fraction of a second early resulting in DQ.

heeebrew posted:

just looking to change the wording of the rules so that a hand touching the mat won't count as a downed opponent.

It appears that the UFC is recently looking into changing it.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ufc/2013/04/29/marc-ratner-ufc-unified-rules-association-of-boxing-commisions/2122139/

And speaking of changes, I had no idea that the actual, official gloves were like this:
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/4/28/4278826/ufc-159-results-cub-swanson-thinks-mma-gloves-are-crap

quote:

If you relax your hand, the way the gloves are now, the natural position is for the hand to be completely open, which is why so many people get poked in the eye. If they were curved, and you put them on and relaxed your hand, your hand would follow the curve, not completely open.... When you can't break them in, they're very uncomfortable. I had to put them on early and start hitting the pads early, the day of the fight, just so I could feel comfortable, and not have the circulation cut off in my fingers.

From comments: When ever I corner my buddy we take his gloves right after they are given out and fold them in half and put them under the chair legs to break them in.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Pocket Billiards posted:

FILA rule is 3 points of contact literally "three points of contact: two arms and one knee or two knees and one arm or the head".

For example, if someone has one hand on the floor but they're on their feet and their opponent puts them into a position of danger (say a front gut wrench from standing for the sake of example) it would be 3 points for a standing technique and not 2 points for a par terre technique.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

I meant that a takedown doesn't require that the knees touch. But maybe that's just in collegiate wrestling and not Olympic freestyle.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Shaolin monks allegedly trained to take blows by having sandbags swung into their faces and head-butting them back. I take it this is not scientific training.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
I remember reading an article about Ceasar Chavez, Jr. when he was something like 27 - 0 with 21 knockouts and a WBC title, and the author was wondering if - if! - he could someday become a world class fighter. Those number sound so gaudy after following MMA. I wonder if the can-crushing a relic of an older era when promoters couldn't use highlight reels and were practically limited to printed names and records.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Yuriy posted:

There's like 3 organizations with their own belt for every weight class, getting good boxers to actually fight each other is painstaking

Also worth noting: uniting the titles in one weight class (out of the 17) involves paying a generous sanctioning fee to each of the sanctioning bodies for each title fight. Champion-vs-champion fights are discouraged financially.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Is there a single most accepted explanation for why there are so many injuries in MMA? There are bound to be more than in boxing, since MMA involves moving the limbs in a wider range and in many more directions than boxing. But there are other popular sports, especially football, that seem to put plenty of stress on the joints. I’ve heard a few different ideas:

1. There actually aren’t more injuries in MMA. You just don’t notice the injuries in other sports because the Superbowl isn’t canceled when Payton Manning sprains his thumb.

2. The injured guy himself is more likely to play through his injury in a team sport. This is partly because of feeling obligated to his teammates, and partly because he can afford a couple of sub-par performances without wrecking his career. A fighter puts the fate of the next year (or two) of his career into a single, rather quick competition that happens once every four months.

3. There are more injuries in MMA, and it’s because the sport is still developing. So, in addition to a gym’s main instructor, you might have a wrestling coach, a grappling coach, and a striking coach, each one trying to work you as hard as they would work someone who is only doing their one sport.

4. There is no offseason. I remember Bisping saying that he felt stronger than ever because he was going through an Olympic weight lifting regimen . . . during a fight camp. Other professional athletes get in shape before they meet the coaches for spring training, because skills, strength, and conditioning training are hard on the body when done all at once.

5. A culture has developed in MMA in which people are stupid and train like idiots.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Here's an interesting interview where Chael Sonnen explains why he thinks Greco-Roman wrestling is a better base for MMA than international, olympic freestyle.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/3/9/4081332/technique-talk-chael-sonnen-mma-wrestling-interview-takedowns-ufc-news

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Sore abs coming up.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
A man weighing 10% less than a woman should have roughly the same amount of muscle mass. The man's punching ability, much like his bench press, would remain better. Still, I wonder about a grapping match between Rousey and, say, a 115 pound guy.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
I thought Maia vs. Munoz was an interesting look at how a high level collegiate wrestler and a high level BJJ practitioner move so differently on the ground. Not as exciting as (the first round of) Maia vs. Shields, though.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
It's not just a wrestling thing. See the world baseball classic and many bicycle races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
I rather like the recent changes to the Unified Rules of MMA. Theseshould be taking effect Jan. 1st.

quote:

Grounded fighter

Under the original rules, fighters could place a single finger tip in the ground to establish themselves as grounded, thereby avoiding legal kicks and knees to the head. Officials have long dubbed that "playing the game." It's no longer viable. Now, fighters must have both hands on the ground — either their palms or fists — to be considered grounded. As always, if a fighter's knee or any other part of the body except the hands and feet are touching the mat, then that fighter is also grounded.

Extended fingers

Eye pokes have been a topic of controversy lately. They are fight-ending, career-damaging illegal maneuvers. Under the original rules, referees could do nothing about it until it was too late and the poke was already landed. The new rules empower referees by making it a foul to extend your fingers outward toward an opponent's face, which could lead to an eye poke.

Previously, a referee could tell a fighter to close his or her hand, but the ref had no recourse — a point could not be taken. Now, it can be if a fighter continues to extend fingers in the direction of an opponent's face.
http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/8/5/12380160/abc-conference-and-changes-to-mma-unified-rules-explained