Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I watched the Jorge Santiago vs Kazuo Misaki 2 fight mentioned in the OP and loved the commentators:

quote:

"I thought I smelled some sexiness in the house!"

"He's going for the guillotine" "SHUT UP!"

"Telegraphed all the way from Florida!"

"And it's over!" "No..." "And the round is over!"

The OP hasn't been updated since 2011 - anyone have recommendations for some more recent (and easier to find) fights to watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I'm still fairly new to the sport, but I have been training bjj for a little over a year now (:eng99:). A grappling showcase would be one I can approach with at least some knowledge, even if they aren't the most exciting.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Memento posted:

That dude who is new to posting here about MMA should have to watch Royce Gracie vs. Kazushi Sakuraba like I had to. Drinking your weight in scotch and writing up 3300 words about it is optional but preferred.

Hey now, I did know enough to watch that before searching for anything else. I also watched a few of the documentaries around the sport.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

With how MMA evolves, in 10 years will we think of Rousey as best for her time but not in 2025, similar to how fans feel about Royce?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I though Rousey's book was pretty awful, but I did enjoy reading her chapters about specific fights and judo matches and then looking up the videos to watch them with her comments in mind. I feel that I can almost understand a judo match now.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Would we see a drastic shift in match ups if they turned weigh-ins to day of? It seems that if they did that roughly the same people would be fighting, just shifted up one weight class. The only conflict I can see is the really big guys who need to cut down to 265lb.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Do UFC fighters get insurance for people pulling out at the last minute?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Bluedeanie posted:

As far as I know there's nothing formal about this, but in every case where a fight fell through for someone last minute because the other guy hosed up and the ufc couldn't get a replacement together, they paid that guy his show pay. It won't compare at all to what he would have gotten in sponsors, ppv points and other bonuses from actually fighting, but DC likely didn't bankrupt himself preparing for a Jones fight that didn't transpire.

I was thinking not even done through UFC, but a 3rd party lost of value insurer. There are college football players who have policies that pay them millions if they don't get picked high in the draft, for instance.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Would those kind of punches ever be used in a fight without grappling?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

For some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to read Ronda's awful book, and even when she's trying to talk up her mom, her mom sounds pretty abusive.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Two fighters a lot of people would like to see knocked out.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

What is an 'attribute fighter'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Grifter posted:

"Oh yeah, Jon Jones won a lot but he just did it with his attributes unlike the hard working Randy Couture".

You're starting to sound like Joe Rogan now ;)