Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Paul Pot posted:

ehhhh

Yeah I always thought the reverse was true but there was an article I read that said otherwise.

I should have mentioned the standing 8 count and downed counts doesn't exactly help either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I adjusted my post to include what I'd read and a "this may be bullshit" disclaimer.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bundt Cake posted:

there hasn't been much if any serious research done on head trauma in mma. but if you read about concussions in football it's pretty disturbing

Though I don't like professional athletes using the "my brain is broke that's why I'm a poo poo human" excuse there does seem to be more and more evidence, albeit circumstantial that the excess trauma these guys would've suffered from highschool through college in the years where your frontal lobe (impulse control etc) is still developing properly could be a contributing factor as to why these guys have such poor impulse control. Many players end up with allegations of sexual assault, domestic violence and other assorted scaliwag behaviour, of course they could just be as I eluded to before poo poo humans with an over indulged sense of entitlement coupled with a less than stellar upbringing but it's at the very least something to be considered.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

TKD fanboys are cute.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Paul Pot posted:

'not bad as in hottest poo poo ever' was used to describe anderson's head movement following the question 'why we don't see more good head movement like aldo's/ali's in mma'.

i'd be more interested in your avatar's backstory than another pedantic shitpost.

Why can't we just put this to bed by saying that head movement in boxing and traditional striking arts doesn't necessarily translate to MMA because of the fact that fighters need to both focus on other areas in training and therefore can't put as much time into perfecting it and because of the wide range of ways to attack an opponent including kicks, take downs, and clinch fighting it's not as effective as in boxing.

That being said within the MMA context some fighters such as Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo among some others have developed the ability to slip punches but their ability is not on the same level as professional boxers known for doing so because of the above.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Lurkee Mcgee posted:

On the 12 to 6 elbow rule. If a fighter in a dominant position, like side control, strikes with the same motion as the illegal variety, but doesn't draw his arm "ceiling to floor", is it illegal?

There was a fight earlier this year where congo was throwing them horizontally into buentello's legs I think and Rogan pointed out how dumb the 12 to 6 rule was.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Save Russian Jews posted:

I think the bushido dvds are all the broadcast in its entirety but I could be wrong.

My Bushido ones show everything including the weird video game like start with the high stage, the spotlights and the crowd waving and the walkouts.

On the knockout thing I did read somewhere in an article written by a doctor where he talked about the muscles in the side of the neck have something to do with it because their density leads to a slower rotation of the head on hooks and a less sudden snapping motion on uppercuts. He pointed to Tito Ortiz as an example of someone who's been TKO'd but never knocked lights out (not sure if that's true). Then again I can't find the article so I can't post a source.

I think at the end of the day the general consensus seems to be, medical science has theories, but mostly they point to concentrated force, and or sudden rotation / snapping of the head causing massive shock trauma to the brain that makes it hit the reset button.

Adding to that the general consensus on avoiding getting knocked out seems to be to keep your chin tucked in, your hands up and move well enough to avoid taking clean shots to the head as much as possible.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 23, 2011

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Thermos H Christ posted:

It's annoying, but it's smart. Fitch knows not to bet on MMA, especially when it's his reputation he's gambling with. He knows he has the potential to beat anyone at 170, but he also knows it's possible for him to lose against anyone they'd book him against. A loss against someone who's in the middle of the pack right now would practically guarantee Fitch won't get another title shot.

I agree with you and from a pure business persepective if I was him I'd be doing the same thing. As the UFC sees it though he's not a brock lesnar or a Rashad evans who'll do a tonne of buys when he jumps in.

On the Lightweight title thing, as of the completion of Maynard Edgar III there will have been 4 title fights in 17 months with 3 guys fighting for a title. That's a little nuts, and guys who want the next shot in that division cannot afford to rest up and wait because people will forget you in such a stacked division.

Guys you could consider "in the mix" is almost the same number of guys most people can name at MW in the UFC.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 18, 2011

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

Assuming by best you mean best for fighting. Some people do Tai Chi or kung fu and don't give two shits for actually fighting, they just like the workout and personal development. In reality, we really shouldn't call those things martial arts, but they get lumped in anyway.

Here is a simple guide for combat sports:

Do they actively spar?

Are there competitions where you can go 100% against another resisting person?

If yes, then that martial art is at least good enough not be a scam or delusion. Now, the thing about this is that style is just a name, if you do Jiu-jitsu but never actually grapple against a resisting opponent, you're not really doing something useful. On the flip side, if you are doing Kyokusin karate then you are probably learning actual punching and kicking skills.

Tae Kwon Do and karate have a bad reputation because the majority of those schools claim to be combat effective, but are really just money grabs for delusional out of shape people and children.

TKD as a sport, as previously mentioned, also has a rule system that makes it less effective in full contact fighting, especially when you add in grappling. That doesn't mean it doesn't "work" it's a game or sport. Like how soccer players could score a lot more goals if they could pick up the ball.

This is pretty much the best reason far too many "martial arts" want to teach people in what they call a controlled and safe setting which for some reason often means, no sparring and when in competitions heavily padded where light touches are encouraged when striking and hard hitting is actively warned against.

The best martial arts for MMA seem to be muai thai, boxing, kickboxing, brazillian jiu jitsu, wrestling and although not overly effective in a cage Judo. Also Shotokan, Kempo and Kyokushin seem to be well represented. The main thing through all of them is they all encourage active sparring and competition between students.

I've personally felt that people learning a psuedo martial art thinking it's going to be good for self defense is more dangerous than learning nothing at all for the reason that people who might get into a fight at a bar or walking home in a bad neighbourhood are more likely to shape up ready to rumble and get hurt than otherwise back down or run the gently caress away.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Phyzzle posted:

While most Kung Fu consists of essoteric traditions, there are some sparring-heavy schools. San Shou is a sport/martial art with a curriculum derived from Kung Fu. Cung Le was quite successful in MMA with that style. Kung Fu practitioners sparring tend to look like Dominick Cruz, constantly facing different directions. No idea if he's got any of his style from that, though.

Judo is well represented, but Greco-Roman wrestling has had a lot more success. It's mainly because Judo guys train with gis, and maybe also because Judo would emphasize throws that will work on a larger opponent. (Wrestlers have a knack for picking someone up with the sheer force of their lower back muscles, which wouldn't make sense in self-defense without weight classes).

Anyway, Judo, it works bitches.

Kung fu like any martial art depends on who teaches it. There's rediculous poo poo out there that wouldn't work in a real fight in a million years then theres some other down right brutal poo poo.

Oh and btw, if you're taking someone down with your back muscles you're doing it wrong.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

attackmole posted:

What are some good Bas Rutten fights to watch? I've never actually looked at his stuff beyond highlight reals. I figure I should look at the two UFC ones, but I don't know poo poo about Pancrase.

The fight against shamrock is pretty cool

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Pneub posted:

I ain't talking about pain compliance. I'm saying that going all ape crazy and poking out eyeballs and biting ears off and poo poo would be, on average, the easiest way to beat someone in a "fight" (I just threw two things together in the first post). 99% of applicable people in the world wouldn't be able to set up an effective ground defense if you pulled their dick off.

Can we keep this kind of retarded argumentative my fake fighting from israel beats your fake fighting from Brazil in another thread like the A&T thread designed for this poo poo?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

NovemberMike posted:

IIRC there was an MMA fight where a fighter was permanently blinded due to an eye-gouge and he never stopped the fight and won by submission. Eye-gouges, rakes, ball grab, bites etc are all pain compliance tools and won't work against somebody who's in an altered state due to adrenaline or drugs.

You can pull someone's dick off through their pants while they're in dominant position? I don't know if you've grappled before, but if you're not in a dominant position and you are going for my balls, all you're really doing is giving me your arm so I can advance my position or break your arm. Also, there's a video by (I think) Royce Gracie where he goes ahead and narrates some of the Gracie Challenge fights and he'll point out all the times that people tried to grab his balls and how it never works.

EDIT: Here's one where a Hapkido guy tries to ball grab a couple times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-srqZb7Kbg&feature=related

I really don't want to do an I TRAIN post but welp

Someone in my guard who tries to grab my balls is going to get triangled or inside arm barred. Hell in no gi it's one of the first things you're taught to push one of their arms through at the wrist while you jump your hips. If I thought that's what they were trying to do (mess with my junk) I'd probably be angry enough to break their loving arm.

I'm only a lovely white belt and I've slapped tight triangles and inside arm bars on dudes who come in for a roll like it's cool, guys who've wrestled, done hapkido, judo, all sorts of poo poo who think it'll be a laugh to go have a roll in a BJJ class. Even with my pathetic training I dominate my buddies who want to have a wrestle after getting a few drinks under their belt one of whom can bench press 150kgs and has had more brawls in the street than I've had hot dinners.

I get destroyed weekly in class and have huge flaws in my game, but trying to grab my nuts or gouge my eyes from my guard is going to make it a lot easier for me to trap someone. It's more worrying what someone who's been doing BJJ for longer than a few months could do in that situation.

"I'd just gouge his eyes or rip his nuts off isn't going to work.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Tezcatlipoca posted:

MMA is weird, sometimes you'll see a guy like Lytle wing haymakers that never knock anyone out and then you"ll go back and watch Nick Diaz knock down Robbie Lawler with a jab.

Most of that is down to timing and placement of the punch.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Polemides posted:

:crossarms:
Boxing is a combat sport.

"better than the boxing thread"

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Chexoid posted:

Ok so here's a dumb question: Sometimes when one fighter is on his back, with the other guy standing over him, the fighter on his back will put his hands behind his head like he's relaxing. What's that for?

It's two fold one is to show the ref "hey brah, I'm bored as gently caress can you stand us up please" the other is to say to his opponent "I'm bored as gently caress, do something, like jump in my guard or try to punch me so I can grab for a sweep or sub"

You usually see it with BJJ guys who have good subs against strikers who score a knockdown or if a BJJ dude fails with a takedown. If you're scrambling you usually are open to eating a shot so if you've got the base you can lie back relatively comfortable your legs can keep your opponent at distance on his feet until he's ready to enter your guard, give you an opening or allow the ref to stand you up.

It's equal parts ring craft, showing off and taunting your opponent.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Thermos H Christ posted:

wow, i always assumed it was to give themselves a wider/more stable base to throw upkicks and poo poo. the more you know.

You'd be more stable posting a hand than in the "just relaxin" position

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

fatherdog posted:

Not for upkicks, you wouldn't.

Posting is probably the wrong term for what I mean.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bundt Cake posted:

Frank Edgar and Kenny Florian have both massively improved over their careers. Edgar improved his cardio from kinda regular guy with good cardio and slows down in the 3rd to being a machine, and his grappling has substantially improved as well, probably thanks to training with Renzo's crew. He used to be a typical good wrestler who ended up in a lot of scrambles to having really tight top control, and also his boxing went from being to where Gray Maynard easily exploited his defense with left hands, to outboxing BJ Penn.

Kenny was a good fighter to begin with too but he's gotten much better over time as well. He went from pretty rudimentary striking, i mean it was terrible, but he became a real good kickboxer with Dellagrotte, although not great or anything, and his wrestling went from being functional jiu jitsu guy takedowns to stuffing Guida easily, and training with Ziras tightened his punching up considerably, to the point where he pasted guida with 1 punch, and managed to wear down Gomi with jabs, which are things he would not have been able to do earlier in his career.

yeah guys improve. those two guys are probably the two most improved fighters that I know about.

oh yeah another real good example is Anderson Silva, who has really great jiu jitsu now, and significantly shored up wrestling abilities compared to earlier in his career

Carlos Condit is another guy who has made big strides too. If you compare his striking now to his striking as WEC, it's a world apart. He used to be a pretty loose but active outside fighter, without much one-blow knock out threat, or really much punching chops at all. now he gets right in the pocket and counterpunches guys

Clay Guida has been more active looking for submissions from the top too lately his fight against pettis notwithstanding he's gone from the definition of lay and pray to someone who seems to want to finish.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

well its a flawed analogy because college football is so high profile that potential #1 draft choices (IE: the Army All American Game) are predicted even when they are still in High School. In a theoretical MMA world were amateur fights receive that kind of scrutiny, Bones would be a top pick. Someone like Brock Lesnar or Bj Penn would also be a #1, but you wouldn't take say Edgar or a young GSP and say they're going to be hall of famers.

MMA is also different because its an individual sport and you can capitalize on lucky breaks better than sports with seasons and set playoff structures. You don't have to win a set number of fights or rely on things like your teammates to win, so guys can climb out of obscurity to the top level extremely quickly.

It was just a way to express the difference between talent and accomplishments in a more familiar format.

More like heissman winners there were more storied and experienced guys in the running last year but it went to the most productive player.

GSP is Andrew luck and jbj is Cam Newton

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

I just watched Saku/Renzo and Renzo struck me as the most complete fighter out of the Gracie brood. Are there any particularly good fights of his I should check out?

His fight with BJ was kind of cool, if a little gassy.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Why do Chute Boxe guys spar like they're fighting to the death? I thought light sparring was the thing in modern MMA.

The aim and the outcome bread guys who were lethal strikers, rarely if ever got overwhelmed by opponents who had a rediculous killer instinct.

Their most famous alumi are all guys who were considered pretty terrifying.

Like was mentioned though it breeds dudes who's bodies break down pretty quickly, Wanderly really started breaking down in 2006 at 30 and went from hard to finish to knocked out in the open stages by Chris Leben (though he does punch loving hard)

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Manto rashguards are pretty much the best investment you can make into BJJ gear and are well worth the price

no one asked, this is just an indisputable fact

link for purchase? I like my hayabusa one but I'm looking to get a new short sleeve after my last one tore.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

http://www.mantofight.com/

Cheers brah

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Grifter posted:

I've seen a number of people say that Chael is no longer training with Team Quest Gresham. Who is he with now and when did he make the transition?

I don't know where he's training now but he made the transition when he started his camp for the Stann fight. Also he was training with the cesar gracie team before shields title shot.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Haraksha posted:

I don't train or anything, so I could be wrong, but I think a lot of people don't do it because it weakens their base. Throwing knees to the body could theoretically leave a fighter off balance to be swept or expose a leg allowing the guy on the bottom to transition to half guard.

I've wondered the same thing too and that was the only rationale I could come up with, but it may not be correct.

From side control you need to stay night to their chest and depending on what you're working for you want your knees against your opponent or giving you leverage. Lifting yourself into a position to throw a knee from side control will give even a BJJ novice ample opportunity to get back to half or full guard.

From side control you'd be better off looking to stay heavy and drop elbows rather than knee to the body imo.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Boregasm posted:

12-6 means ceiling to the floor, it has nothing to do with the fighter's position. It's pretty much impossible to execute a 12-6 elbow on your back.

This is correct, it's a retarded rule, Rogan points it out all the time. The buentello congo fight is a perfect example, Kongo got warned for throwing one, just adjusted the angle and it was fine.

IIRC it has something to do with the MMA going before the commission to set down the unified rules, 12-6 banned because they look really brutal more than anything else.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

RobBorer posted:

I also think a big part of it is how important each individual fight is to a fighter who's fighting at the top level. You get around 2-4 fights a year, and if you start taking those fights when you have an fairly serious injury, then your entire career could be affected.

Football players get injured constantly, and they're notorious for playing through a lot of them, but they have a season of 16 games over 17 weeks. They need to get out there and play during that time, whereas a fighter can postpone a fight 8 weeks and come back healthy.

Really any kind of training at any level if there's active sparring or grappling will lead to assorted bumps and bruises. What was said is correct though 2 a day sessions for a good period of time raises that likelihood so much more. It's just the nature of the beast.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I was about to mention the two above, they're pretty much the best source for interesting interviews and information.

If you follow twitter you might want to follow as many fighters as possible along with Dana White and ariel Helwani because they'll post video links to video blogs and or pod casts they're featured in.

Joe Lauzon does some cool stuff on youtube too.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

One of the things that seems to help wrestlers is that they seem to be used to working in much smaller margins of error than BJJ guys. They'll fight tooth and nail to have their back a fraction of an inch off the ground. It's really hard to pin a guy or avoid getting pinned by a guy who's used to working to that level of precision. I never really got into boxing, but when I did, there was a dude at my gym who used to wreck everyone. Just seemed a full beat faster. He came from fencing, and so, to him, getting that first hit was vital. Wearing a few hits on the way in was entirely unacceptable. He also hit really hard, so he'd be landing nasty, unanswered shots while the other guy was still in the feeling out stage.

My question relates to the gassing out phenomenon. Fights go for fifteen to twenty five minutes, yet guys are often breathing really goddamn hard and pawing at each other by the end. I'm assuming their training sessions last more than that, so how does this happen?

The other thing about gassing is taking shots to the body makes it a lot harder to get your wind back. People talked poo poo about bjs cardio in the Diaz fight but he got worked to the body all through the second round.

Throwing with full power getting hit with full power, adrenaline. It all contributes.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

NovemberMike posted:

The problem with all the talk about conditioning is that it's actually 5-6 related things. Getting punched makes it harder, being jittery makes it harder (Foreman talked about this being a factor in his comebacks)etc. If you took a marathon runner and put them in a cage with a pro Muay Thai fighter they'd look pretty gassy after the first round.

The other thing too that I forgot to mention is there's a difference between striking cardio and grappling. I've got friends who fight MT at an amateur level one of whom in particular has a great gas tank, will throw punches in bunches at speed and move well late into the final round.

He came to a BJJ class to try it out and I outworked him easily and my cardio isn't great.

Shogun Rua has this weakness and Rashad has shown something like the same issue in the past.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

NovemberMike posted:

One thing that bad grapplers do is try to fight losing battles. They'll try to buck a guy that has them mounted instead of working for half guard. It's like trying to punch every second, even if the other guy is ten feet away.

Yeah I notice that a lot, fighters will either panic or just not think and instead of trying to re-gain their guard from side control or mount and look to separate and stand from there they'll try to fight back to their feet from a really bad position.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Thermos H Christ posted:

OK, now that I actually looked up what a grappling sock looks like I'd say that I actually have seen several fighters wear at least one of those in the cage. As for why more people don't use them, I imagine one reason is that they probably make it a lot harder to slip out of foot/ankle locks.

I used to wear hayabusa ones of those, they give your opponent more traction when grabbing your foot area too. I find though that it makes it easier to hip escape and plant for a takedown though. They stop me from slipping during sparring too when I do boxing or kick boxing. Mine just wore out.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Neurosis posted:

Did the grip on the bottom wear off? I had some from a different company that actually also covered the toes and they were great for baby-soft skin like mine but within a month or two the grip came off and shooting became harder.

Yeah that was the main drama, the grip wore off and even after washing them multiple times and even soaking them in febreeze and vinegar on seperate occasions they stunk real bad.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Can someone go into some serious explanation of the etymology? Did they take it from lucha libre and use it for a real martial art? Did it get the name independently (I get that it means free fight)?

I don't know much about language but aren't portugese and spanish pretty close in their rooted language?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Max Awfuls posted:

In spanish it's lucha libre. There's no specific word for wrestling in portuguese, so it's usally translated as luta livre, be it pro wrestling WWE style or sports wrestling, although if you are speaking of the sports version, you usually call it luta greco-romana. As far as I know, the brazilian luta livre is wrestling with submissions but no gi and the luta livre vale tudo is the version of it that allows for striking, so it's basically an early version of MMA.

Isn't this just known as Catch wrestling?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

david carmichael posted:

referring to submissions as bjj moves is really disingenuous. there's like 8 submissions, and none of them were discovered within the last 150 years.

There's a shitload of stuff in BJJ that's taken from other martial arts and just given a tweak and a different name.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Herr Tog posted:

So what is the status/opinion/policy of PSP on Women's Boxing? No Interest? Not good? I'm an rear end in a top hat for asking?

I'm not a fan of women fighting in general, not because they're women, but because there's almost universally a big gap in the talent level and because the pool is so thin it's almost not worth having a womens division in mainstream sport.

Even if you take into account that the fights are almost always one sided and feature the same few fighters, the quality of their ability in MMA anyway is that poor that there's not much entertainment value I derive out of it.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

1st AD posted:

I don't think failed submission attempts count for anything. Judges don't generally award rounds to guys with multiple failed submissions. In BJJ (I believe) a failed submission only ever counts if it results in a gain in position for the attacker.

In both situations listed the triangle and guillotine are attempted when they're in a bad position anyway. If a fighter takes you down and starts landing ground and pound but you happen to get a triangle on that doesn't mean you should win points.

I think someone with an active guard gets you a 10-9 rather than a 10-8 in a lot of instances, but you're still on your back, you've still been taken down and you're not showing what I'd consider good octagon control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

NovemberMike posted:

It's more like judging punches by KOs. As far as I know it is possible to show an advantage over an opponent in the standup by throwing good punches that land properly but don't knock your opponent out and be rewarded by that for points. Similarly, if a person can attack with submission attempts that are legitimate threats (the defender has to stop all offensive activity in order to stop the attempt) then he should be rewarded for it. If someone just retard flails then that's not a legitimate threat just like a wild miss isn't a threat.

The other thing is that just because someone puts a submission on but doesn't complete it doesn't necessarily mean it's an effective offensive manuever. Jake shields routinely lets himself get guillotined and passes see his fight with Kampmann.

Hell I've got lovely white belt BJJ and I like using triangles as bait to pass against shittier white belts.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Asking as a guy who knows basically nothing about MMA scoring (and very little more about MMA at all,) what about a situation where no one is throwing punches, but the guy on top spends all his time avoiding subs? Do judges tend to still give it to the guy on top because he is escaping and remaining in the dominant position, or the guy on the bottom for being active and dangerous? I'm assuming the guy on top still, but I am curious if the removal of overt offence from the top tips the scale.

Octagon control and effective grappling. He's still keeping the fight where he wants it by neutralising his opponents efforts to escape or to submit him. Besides 9/10 in a fight the guy on the bottom is getting punched even if they're powerless while he's getting controlled.