Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

A Pale Horse posted:

Good ones: done by American wrestlers
Bad ones: done by the rest of the world, especially Europeans.

:smugdog:

I'm not knowledgeable enough about wrestling to contribute, but I wanted to be snide, so there.

Most top Japanese fighters (at least in the past) had a wrestling background like Gomi and Sudo. But Japan isn't as strong a wrestling country as America.

It's just that most of the other strong wrestling countries don't really have an MMA scene, like Iran, Turkey, and Cuba. Then you have Korea, where the scene is just burgeoning but two of the top gyms there are wrestling-based, so maybe we'll see some decent Korean wrestling in the future.

What's weird is that Russia is actually the top wrestling country but I don't know of any Russian wrestler going into MMA. I guess it might be that MMA just isn't lucrative or prestigious enough there for it to be worth their time, while in the US wrestlers have no future outside of the Olympics or MMA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Yeah, that was what I was guessing. A big part of the reasons for why these countries are so strong at wrestling is that the sport is such a revered and popular tradition there so I'm pretty sure they take care of those wrestlers good, to the extent that there aren't that many incentives to risk their reputations in a somewhat unfamiliar sport.

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

Vegard posted:

Megumi, Minowa, Funaki, Cortxbomb.

As to why there aren't more, my guess is that it's not a real thing.

shoot wrestling and by extension shooto is supposed to incorporate catch wrestling.

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009
Isn't the "knee counter shot" or a variation an argument typically used by traditional martial artists for why grapplers are the suck. Needless to say, the very existence of MMA today is due to martial artists getting schooled on myths like the one above.

Besides, it seems like a strategy for making you incredibly vulnerable to a feint.