Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
edit: I can't read good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I don't really know where to put this, but the BONE BREAK pictures in the new MMA and Wrestling Picture thread have reminded me of a kickboxing fight I saw maybe 15 years ago. One dude was wearing a grass skirt in this fight, and six seconds after it started, the other guy went down with a broken fibula. Like seriously, fighters close in, couple of punches to test the water, low roundhouse kick, guy falls over, ref call for the bell.

Does anyone else remember this fight? I swear I'm not dreaming. I've googled kickboxing leg break, but there are so many I might have just made this particular one up.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Livingtrope posted:

Um hello, I guess this is the right thread. I have a question about wrestling.

I'm wondering if there is any wrestlers who have a gimmick of doing the "I'm watching you" hand gesture on a regular basis. It's where you point your fingers at your eyes, then point them at the opponent. Also, it helps if they did this on video, that's what I need it for. Thank you!

This is a question probably better asked in Wrestling Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Dangersim posted:

Didn't there used to be a fight analasis thread, like breaking down technique? I know there are a bunch of us who train/have experience in different martial arts, and I've always enjoyed reading stuff like Jack Slack articles.

I think one goes up every now and then and falls off into archives after a little while.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Watching some random re-run on FX, I caught the Sonnen vs. Stann fight from UFC 136. The referee stands the fighters up early in the second round, before Sonnen gets Stann with an arm triangle. Can someone who knows the fight explain why the ref decided he would get them up? It's not like they weren't both working pretty hard, and it seems like it would be a disadvantage to someone whose game is mostly on the ground to get stood up while he's working for position.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Cool, thanks for the analysis. I've been doing bjj for about three months now so I'm a complete amateur when it comes to this stuff. The end of the fight really came out of nowhere for me; I don't think I've ever seen an arm triangle before.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DekeThornton posted:

And even if you really haven't trained much grappling it's a pretty instinctive thing to just grab and squeeze someones neck if they stick it under your arm in a fight.

I remember the first one I ever saw was a kickboxer doing it to another boxer or kickboxer on one of the single-digit UFC cards. The other guy tried the clumsiest takedown and put his head under the first guy's arm, and the first guy just grabbed his wrist and stood up straight. He had the greatest look on his face as it dawned to him that he was going to win without getting punched once.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

1st AD posted:

When did Neer/Wisniewski happen? That was the craziest standing elbow fight I've seen and it lasted like 2 rounds.

October 1st, 2011. That was a loving bloodbath.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TheJoker138 posted:

UFC 3 is loving bullshit. I know that's not a question but, seriously. loving. Bull. poo poo.

Yeah before there was Bradburying your way to victory, there was Jennuming.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Pat's logic is like shooting yourself with .22LR to develop an immunity to larger caliber rounds.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Bundt Cake posted:

Plus he couldnt strike like at all

Well, he kicked Royce's leg out of his leg.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Captain Log posted:

I have a confession to make about my burgeoning interest in MMA around 2003. Me and a bunch of friends were watching a match that I can't recall if it was in an octagon or ring but it was two asian guys fightings. We had the fights DVRed, which was still pretty cutting edge at the time. One of the fighters was in an Orange speedo type trunks and started wailing on his opponent. All my friends and I freaked out and then paused the fight because we thought the announcer (could have been Mauro Ranallo (douche bad with a centimeter pole he talked about, I forget how to spell his name) or Rogan said something really racist and died laughing.

We thought, as the asian orange speedo trunks guy was tee'ing off on his opponent, the announcer yelled, "HE IS THROWING BIG RICE!"

After rewinding the DVRed recorded a bunch and we figured out he said, "HE IS THROWING BIG RIGHTS!" (right hands)

Any idea what this fight in that time frame could of been? My friends always wanted to know which fight it was because, "Throwing big rice" became kind of a joke amongst us for when you put a beat down on someone.

Sounds like Kazushi Sakuraba. That should narrow down your search terms. I can't any matches of his where he actually threw good punches though.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
That dude who is new to posting here about MMA should have to watch Royce Gracie vs. Kazushi Sakuraba like I had to. Drinking your weight in scotch and writing up 3300 words about it is optional but preferred.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
With the USADA do you guys pronounce each letter or do you say like you-SAA-da?

Dumb question I know.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Most of it is still at least sort of relevant, it's a hell of an effort and even if it makes people say the wrong things at least they might then get corrected without anyone calling them too many names.

RobBorer posted:

Other guys to watch - Demetrious Johnson

Some of it is pretty good advice, I wish more people would watch Demetrious Johnson fight.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

This is the pro-est of clicks even if you've read it before.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah people will report themselves if they've toxx'd on the outcome of a fight, and there's less and less of those all the time so it's not a big deal.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mr. Nice! posted:

Pancrase was worked more often than not.

Here's a question; how much of this was "this is the guy who's winning because Yakuza money says he has to" and how much of it was "go out there and put on a super good show, even if that means doing things that wouldn't be the best move for a fight-fight type fight because the crowd of Yakuza heavies wants blood and guts"? Some of both?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Fozzy The Bear posted:

http://www.npr.org/2017/07/25/539198429/study-cte-found-in-nearly-all-donated-nfl-player-brains

110 out of 111 NFL brains have CTE.
Earlier study said 87 of 91 have CTE.

I can't find any good numbers for boxing. MMA is too new to get good numbers.

There isn't a big enough asterisk on that study/sample group.

110 out of 111 brains deliberately donated to a CTE study because their owners/owners' families thought they had CTE had CTE.

That being said, it's probably somewhere on the order of 60-70% of NFL players that will end up with it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Captain Log posted:

Amended question - Is a particular website good for following non-American MMA and other combatives?

Literally the best way to follow Australian MMA is to follow Hex Fight Series and Mark Hunt on facebook.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Captain Log posted:

I know I could ask this in QCS but there is a pretty specific look to OPs in PSP. I loving hate BB code. Is there a better way to type an OP, insert pictures, then insert it into the forums without breaking my "[" key?

Also, on a thread like we have described, would we like it to be very basic information only or should I add some Log/forums brand crazy?

I use BBCeditor to put together the UFC monthly thread OPs. It's basically typing in a forum post box, you can preview it on a pane on the right side of the screen, it has most of the things like Ctrl-I for italics and Ctrl-B for bold tags etc etc. Worth taking a look at for a big effort post.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Just watched Lomachenko/Rigondeaux and it was a boring shitshow. Couple of questions.

Did people who know anything about boxing (I do not) think it was a boring shitshow as well?

Why did Rigo keep ducking so low?

Was his excuse for quitting legit? It seems like of you're going to injure your hand you might maybe need to have landed a punch or two.

Please educate me as to whether this fight was all it was cracked up to be or if people who know what they're watching agree with my bad takes.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

kimbo305 posted:

Even so, the fight was not boring just to be able to see Loma stay balanced every step of every movement, coming in and out, side to side, with incredible precision, anticipation, and orchestration of his opponent's actions.

This is a really good paragraph to me. I get that my appreciation of any boxing match is always going to be tempered by my lack of knowledge of the sport and I simply couldn't see what was going on at anywhere near this level.

Thanks for the explanation on the bending over as well, coming from watching a sport where doing that will get you kneed into the shadow realm it just seemed bizarre to me.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Memento posted:

I don't really know where to put this, but the BONE BREAK pictures in the new MMA and Wrestling Picture thread have reminded me of a kickboxing fight I saw maybe 15 years ago. One dude was wearing a grass skirt in this fight, and six seconds after it started, the other guy went down with a broken fibula. Like seriously, fighters close in, couple of punches to test the water, low roundhouse kick, guy falls over, ref call for the bell.

Does anyone else remember this fight? I swear I'm not dreaming. I've googled kickboxing leg break, but there are so many I might have just made this particular one up.

Also I went through my old posts in this thread because I'm waiting for code to compile and I figured out what this fight was. Stan Longinides vs. Dennis Alexio. Dennis was wearing the grass skirt and had his leg broken in a handful of seconds.

December 6th, 1992. I didn't make it up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu1lbRfdQfY

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Just doing some moderately-drunken Fightpass watching, and tracking some Bantamweight title fights. Couple of questions:

What happened to Renan Barao? Just couldn't cut it once the level of competition stepped up?

And what's the thing that Brazilians in the crowd chant when their dude is fighting?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Adalaide Byrd: bought-and-paid-for, or just a tenured idiot?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I'm not going to break up Oildome chat in the UFC thread to ask this (seriously read the last few pages) but I have two questions:

Who was the first MMA fighter to earn a million dollars or more from a fight?

Which fight best shows off Vitor Belfort in all of his pure-horsemeat special-sauce glory?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

kimbo305 posted:

Including sponsorships and points?

Maybe not sponsorship, but like from the promoter, paycheque + points adding up to more than a million.

Listening to Big John McCarthy on Rogan's podcast he was saying that Lorenzo Fertitta told him once "I'm going to be the first MMA promoter to pay a fighter a million dollars for one fight" and I'm wondering when that milestone was passed.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Paul Felder in the first round against Mike Perry at UFC 226 in July. I dont think he broke it elbowing PMP's head - I was pretty sure it was a checked kick, but could be wrong, and the image here from his manager's instagram seems to imply it was from an elbow.

With the Spider leg break, I'm completely amazed that he managed to break both his fibula and tibia. I wondered at first if one of them broke and then the other let go when he tried to stand on it, but it really just went completely floppy after the checked kick. loving nightmare fuel.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
What's the best way to legally watch all of the fights of a particular boxer? I was reading up the peek-a-boo style and wanted to watch all of the Tyson fights I could, is there a streaming service that has them?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jerusalem posted:

Joe Frazier had the bad luck to be one of the greatest boxers in the world at exactly the same time that Muhammad Ali and George Foreman existed. Same deal with Ken Norton too.

I have this link bookmarked from this thread talking about Frazier/Foreman/Ali

fatherdog posted:

Foreman/Frazier is also notable because, although there are obviously many times in history where an undisputed, undefeated champion gets defeated, there aren't all that many where they get absolutely loving murdered.

david carmichael posted:

it was the greatest fighter of all times at the peak of his capabilities getting steamrolled by the meat man

david carmichael posted:

and that lead directly into the insanity that was ali/foreman, where ali's strategy was to let the meat man who hits like a comet pummel him until he got tuckered out, which worked great somehow.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Why do they still use a ring for Japanese MMA? Just tradition?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

VJeff posted:

Did a skateboard really get thrown in the ring during a UFC fight

no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytWV7KzOEI0

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Is there anyone in the top ten of one of the UFC's men's divisions 145 pounds and higher who wouldn't have won the UFC 1 tournament without breaking a sweat? I was watching some old UFC the other day while drinking with friends and the level of skill on display was almost universally garbage. poo poo has come a loooong way.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

LobsterMobster posted:

found it. good as it ever was

Thank you, this is a treasure.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
What are some really fuckin' sweet pure grappling matches? ADCC, mundials, gi, no-gi, whatever. Link me some awesome scrambles and ridiculous subs.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

butros posted:

Any Quintet.

These have been tons of fun, thanks. And thanks to the other posters who put up those links. Quality stuff.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Benson Henderson fought MMA fights at the highest level with a toothpick in his mouth.

I guess my question is, is MMA the dumbest sport in the world?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
If you resurrect them I'd be up for playing a betting game like that.

Watch me go broke three rounds in though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
This is probably already being talked about in other threads but for those not following them, a bunch of elite combat sports instructors have made their online instructional videos free while the Corona is keeping everyone home.

https://twitter.com/JackSlackMMA/status/1240236821101060103

https://twitter.com/Carbazel/status/1239911420000702465