Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mr. Nice! posted:

Inoki did not gently caress around back in the day and reacted poorly when people would no-sell his strikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL9v0vE8DqY

The Great Antonio had a history of no-selling poo poo for all sorts of people

He also had all sorts of undiagnosed mental illness as a result of trauma from WWII, and died penniless on the streets of Montreal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Is there a good speed bag kit someone can recommend? Something I can dynabolt to the brick wall in my garage, then put on some hand wraps and smack for five minutes a day. I've got plenty of experience with good professional kits at my gym but we're still at least two months away from opening everything up properly and I really feel the need to work my hands and shoulders.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Thanks for that, that ballin' platform looks awesome but I ended up ordering myself the Everlast kit. The gloves in it look pretty trash but I have that stuff already. Cheers!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
A more focused question about Don King would be "did anyone he promoted who had any success not end up suing him?"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Golden Gael posted:

But what if I told you he was once one of the most revered karateka around, even training with Bruce Lee and Muhammad Ali?

The most important word in this sentence is once. It's an all-too-common trope. Sure, once he was a highly respected instructor and worked with legitimate martial artists and combat sports athletes. Then, he swallowed his own bullshit, hook, line and sinker, and decided he was some mystical dim mak expert who could make the bottom brick explode by hitting the top brick. And because he was previously the highly regarded expert, either people weren't willing to tell him to knock it off, or he was surrounded by students of his who either believed along with him or were too polite/afraid for their positions to say anything.

One of the best gold exploration experts in Australia is also a proponent for the Expanding Earth theory. Which is utter bullshit. But he is good enough at the thing he really does in his job to be tolerated in his wackiness. Happens in a wide variety of disciplines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Robert Whittaker was talking on a podcast a while back about his time at 170, when he would get rattled or even flash-KOd by shots that at 185, he eats like candy. Just an anecdote, certainly, but it does bear out.