Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Is there a term for winning every round of a fight? Like, getting a judges decision of either 30-27 or 50-45? I hate when people misuse unanimous decision to describe this situation but I don't know a better word for it- shutout, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Yeah I guess I asked because in my opinion, I think it is a pretty dominant showing to win every round. So many rounds can be toss ups where it's decided by who gets a takedown with a minute left and ends the round in a good position, or lands a big combo near the end of the round, and commentators harp on that all the time. So if you can consistently make that big play exactly when your opponent least wants you to, I think it shows that you have the fight under control- even if it's not something overwhelming.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Ok now I'm curious to watch the most lopsided judging ever. Has any judge in recent history given out a 10-7 round without points being deducted for fouls?

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

I think it was more that people just hate Floyd that much, and that people have trouble grasping abstract concepts like "feminism" and just felt like if they could see a woman they like punch a guy they don't like then that would solve gender inequality once and for all. The number of casual fans with no real sports knowledge who had strong opinions on Ronda was astronomical.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

When Demian Maia was on his tear he was pulling half guard and sweeping people but he had a couple sweeps from mount too.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Yeah the way Mike Tyson explains it in his biography, he had been through so much disciplinary poo poo like juvenile detention early on in his life and grew up in such a lovely life that he had no confidence. So Cus started to treat Mike like he was special and let him get away with some stuff. Cus was mad if people really got on Mike about anything because he thought it would just make Mike think "this guy is right, I really am a piece of poo poo". So Cus fired Teddy Atlas when he heard about what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

Umm...sexual assault sounds like a pretty major thing. If what Atlas said is true than Cus must have really been in denial.

I realize my first response left out some stuff, so I will add more context. There is an interesting thread Mike Tyson writes about where Cus was this great guy and a father figure to him, but at the same time Mike felt like really he was just a project Cus had to get revenge on the boxing world. Cus D'amato had been super successful when he was a younger trainer but got fed up with the boxing world and distanced himself from a lot of it and grew spiteful. Mike was the grand project that would prove Cus was right all along. It read to me like Cus would never make a decision that would keep Mike away from training for even a single second. So if there was a conflict between Mike and a trainer, it was the trainer who was gone. If Mike did commit a crime, I assume Cus wasn't going to have him deal with court and possibly prison. I don't think he was in denial about it, he just made the Machiavellian decision to prioritize his golden goose at all costs.

Stealth Tiger fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 1, 2020