Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JayBulworth
Apr 1, 2010
There's a lot of noise out there about how MMA is stealing the thunder from boxing, but I'm not sure I see it. When I was a kid in the 90's, a lot of my friends were into pro wrestling and we "graduated" to MMA as adults. Sweet chin music and sleeper holds were traded in for left high kicks and rear naked chokes.

I actually think pro wrestling has been more affected by the rise of MMA than boxing has. Can anyone shed some light on this situation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayBulworth
Apr 1, 2010
I sorta had the same opinion myself but never had the motivation to look for the facts to back it up.

For me, the decline of boxing happened independently of the rise of MMA. Even when I was a kid, my parents - both of whom are huge sports fans, only watched one big boxing match a year. It's still that way today with Pac and Mayweather for a lot of casual fans.

To me, the reason why the 18-35 crowd doesn't follow boxing is because very few of us grew up with it as something we cared about. Boxing did not promote itself very well to young people in the 90's. Truth be told, through MMA, I've actually discovered that I enjoy boxing immensely but very few people in my age group follow it. I have one friend who's a fellow boxing fan and he's hardcore - his father grew up with the Grant Brothers who run gyms out of Montreal. All my other friends that are into MMA on the other hand were hardcore wrestling fans growing up.

JayBulworth
Apr 1, 2010
Would a fighter's union be able to work in a world where the UFC is the only major organization? It looks increasingly likely that this will be the case, especially with all the trouble MMA has had in Japan in recent years.