Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So what exactly is the deal between Mike Tyson and Teddy Atlas? Apparently, teenage Mike sexually harassed his little sister so he pulled a gun on him? Or is he just making stuff up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Mike was a wild kid and Cus D'Amato, his main trainer, gave him a very limited, specific social structure outside of boxing training, which didn't give Tyson a lot of growth.

The story you see in biographies is as you heard --
Mike didn't know how to act and groped Atlas' sister. Teddy Atlas freaked out, went over to Tyson and told him to stay away.

This is the denial and half explanation Mike told much later:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z69P5CDF5so&t=22s

Yeah, I saw that interview and it bothered me.

What do you mean by he "gave him a very limited, specific social structure outside of boxing training?" Like he was too strict with him or he let him do whatever he wanted?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

If I remember right, Cus was super-strict with him. One thing that always stands out in my memory is seeing footage of Tyson winning his first fight and starting to celebrate, then immediately shutting down because Cus just grunts at him to stop acting up and go thank his opponent for the fight. Seems like he had very little in the way of a release valve and once he had the freedom he just went completely overboard (happily allowed by Don King who didn't give a gently caress so long as the KOs and the big money kept rolling in).

Tony Atlas said in a video that Mike would act wild outside the ring all the time and Cus would allow it. Unless he's exaggerating.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Stealth Tiger posted:

Yeah the way Mike Tyson explains it in his biography, he had been through so much disciplinary poo poo like juvenile detention early on in his life and grew up in such a lovely life that he had no confidence. So Cus started to treat Mike like he was special and let him get away with some stuff. Cus was mad if people really got on Mike about anything because he thought it would just make Mike think "this guy is right, I really am a piece of poo poo". So Cus fired Teddy Atlas when he heard about what happened.

Umm...sexual assault sounds like a pretty major thing. If what Atlas said is true than Cus must have really been in denial.

kimbo305 posted:

Cus wanted Mike to show up to the gym to train, go back to his house to eat dinner, and behave when he was under Cus' watch.
Beyond those settings, he never tried to give Mike extra guidance on life.
Atlas' take was that Cus was cutting corners, possibly subconsciously, to fast track Mike to an HW belt before he died.

I see.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Count Roland posted:

As part of the UFC celebrating its 20th anniversary, they released a series of documentaries about the early days of the sport: one of the topics was Ken Shamrock. The parts I found the most interesting were about the Lions Den. If you have Fight Pass I'd recommend checking it out.

I think this is the documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxUXAZ0ORvE

These people literally are, breathed, slept MMA. Wouldn't they overtrain themselves? I mean 3 hours of straight sparring sessions sounds...extreme.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Watched this documentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB-CDGsHJ8I

Man the tagline of "New York won't allow the UFC but allows street gangs" sure is... yeah...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

This is kind of a random question but I only really watch pro wrestling which of course is fake. But anyway, does anybody here remember the infamous Bart Gunn/Butterbean shoot (real) fight from WrestleMania where poor Bart was KOed in no time?

Apparently somebody at WWF thought Butterbean was a gimmick, just big fat guy nobody took seriously.

Is there any logical reason they thought this? Did he have that reputation....? I don't know anything about boxing but his Wikipedia page record makes him sound decently fearsome.

The Dark Side of the Ring documentary showed that Bart Gunn winning sabotaged the WWF's plans for another wrestler they've signed on, so they had him fight Butterbean as both punishment and to sabotage his career.