Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Watching TUF - Pulver/Penn. Really loving it. I watched the original when it was on TV so I don't know why i'm so surprised that it's excellent but this raises two questions:

1) Is there this much crying in all the seasons?

2) What are the best seasons (I don't have a preference for weight classes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm in Australia so I'm watching the old UFCs :smug: :smug:

I swear to god I keep seeing Dana hanging around in the background. Am I just hallucinating? I know he was hanging around Pride obviously, but was he known to hang around pre-Zuffa UFC?

edit: I think i've answered my own question. If he managed Lidell in pride, I assume he'd be around UFC as well...

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Nov 17, 2011

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So been watching old Pride. There seems to be a lot of worked matches and or long boring matches.

When did Pride really start getting hot?

Is there an event I can just skip to without feeling bad?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Cool, thanks for the help guys. I'll skip straight to the GP then, maybe watching early Vitor, Wanderlei and Sakuraba.

In terms of the history of Pride, it's pretty clear that Takada's matches were fixed (apart from Pride 1, obviously), and any other time a Japanese guy won it has to be highly suspicious in the early days.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Listened to the Sonnen thing. That's a fair reflection of what happened allegedly in Pancrase. So it's possible that what he talks about did happen. And why guys like Cro-Cop? Monster gaijin draw money.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Was Arlovski's Affliction deal the most hideous in MMA history, or have there been worse?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I love Pitbull as much as the next guy. Especially before he cut his hair. Especially with that awesome mouth-guard. But that deal was just crazy.

At the time it was the biggest single fight guarantee. But it's just crazy considering he never really drew much as champ. Now obviously, he wasn't around during the boom, but still. 1.5 Million? :stare:

edit: Deadly serious. They should sign Pitbull and put him up against Mir. That fight is like seven years in the making. They marketed a fight based on Silva "getting his win back" over Okami. This isn't that much of a stretch by comparison.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 7, 2012

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Is there an equivalent of WMMA3 for boxing? Or any good Boxing Promoter games at all?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MassRayPer posted:

You can get UFC 1-4 and UFC 5-8 on DVD in 4 event sets for really cheap, and there's no better way to see that kind of fight than those events. As for documentaries, it comes a bit later in the development of MMA, but The Smashing Machine is probably the earliest and best MMA documentary.

And if you are in Australia for some reason they have 10 card DVD sets including the first 10! :science:

For some reason we were the only people that could watch the first few UFCs on DVD for ages.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What happened to Xyience? They were an energy drink maker right?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Which is why I kind of enjoyed watching Hughes get kicked in the nuts and face a whole bunch by GSP.

Cool thanks, I haven't seen it in Australia so I just didn't know what was what.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Bluedeanie posted:

If and when weed is legalized in the U.S., will athletic commissions stop testing for it, or is the ban based on some belief that it is legitimately performance-enhancing?

I'm of the school of thought that it shouldn't be banned (though it might be stupid to smoke a whole bunch if you're a professional, training athlete) but as long as it is, it needs to be enforced. That said, it seems like a frivolous waste of testing expenditures and a detriment to promotional rosters if fighters are being tested and suspended for a substance they certainly aren't using to become empowered.

Well, considering they check for alcohol, and pain killers both of which are also legal...

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What was with all the heel hooks in Pancrase? Was it a by product of the rules or just the skill levels at the time?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Some boxing questions:

1) Standing eight count, did they get rid of it? If so, why?

2) What are all these "International" and "Intercontinental" titles in boxing? What is their purpose, what are they for?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Don't they do something now to combat that? Like have the weigh ins twice or closer to the event or something? Or am I completely making that up?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Eat This Glob posted:

In the UFC? No, they weigh in a day before. In wrestling? Yeah. They weigh in a couple hours before a dual/meet. It's a lot easier in MMA to rehydrate/regain strength.

Yeah wrestling I meant, sorry.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bas and Chael calling fights together would be... I don't know. I think it'd be awesome but maybe it's like having all chocolate sauce no ice-cream and you'd just feel sick after?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

This person wins the internet.

And then you wanna watch some Pride fights with his commentary, that was great.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Observer podcasts occasionally have MMA guests, and they do talk a lot about MMA but some people don't rate Meltzer as a MMA jurno so make of that as you may.

Also, if you plan on reading the Big John McCarthy book, don't listen to his podcast with the Observer guys he gives away almost every great story in the interview. :psyduck:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
When Sonnen won the Non-Title WEC match against the WEC champ, was there no rematch due to the fact WEC closed shortly after? Or was there some other reason?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
When did GSP stop break-dancing?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Forceholy posted:

So the UFC thread rejoiced over the news of Keith Kizer resigning from the NSAC.

Why do goons hate him?

As far as I know, he doesn't like John McCarthy, won't allow TRT exemptions to fighters and weird views on judging.

edit: As for the judges, he is on record saying that he had Pac ahead against Bradley, and had Phan-Garcia 3-0 still defended the judges as being right in both cases.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 11, 2014

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Seltzer posted:

Doesn't he also have a say over judges/refs and specifically assigns judges/refs the UFC doesn't like to their cards? I'm almost positive he is in control of who refs what and assigned Mazagatti to ref a main event recently. I remember Dana blowing a gasket about it. Basically Kizer makes awful decisions, practices nepotism, and protects all of his officials from blame regardless of how transparently garbage they are.

This is one of the "no, you bad" situations (UFC complaining when it's their fault), as they have bitched about the refs they assign and the judges they assign, while having booked those same judges and refs on overseas shows where they could do what ever the gently caress they want.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dangersim posted:

Here's Big John doing a rules meeting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HGpSp8aS30

Most of the commonly asked rules questions are answered in here

Also a pro click because Big John is a funny dude.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Liquid Communism posted:

Not to mention that Dada was in renal failure the whole time and had a literal heart stoppage.

Oh my.

Wow Freakshow indeed.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This question is based upon my observation and because I don't watch hours and hours of MMA I may be completely wrong, but:

What happened to the triangle from the bottom? Are people just clued in enough that they don't let that happen any more?

If my premise is wrong and it is "it was never used much, you're missremembering" I apologise.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Kinda a lame question but I just remembered someone in the last game day thread confused that someone with no record or something was given the blue corner. So...do corners 'matter'? I genuinely always figured it was a random thing, is there a 'meaning' behind who gets what?

That's an interesting question.

I thought it was something like "The champ comes out second" or "the bigger name" in a non title fight, so he then gets the (red?) corner, so people could be confused why some no name guy fighting someone came out second and got the other corner?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Actually the answer is unlike MMA where you kinda keep your finger on the pulse year round, in Boxing you literally don't give a poo poo about anything other than the 2 or 3 big fights in a year, and maybe watch replays of a good fight or three.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It may be 2 but I beleive they try and get undercard guys 3 fights a year. But I could be wrong.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The only concrete thing is if you weigh in you get your show money.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Phyzzle posted:

It's not just a wrestling thing. See the world baseball classic and many bicycle races.

To be fair, a cycling classic is usually a ~really old~ race unless it's one of the few ones that have come along recently.

edit: but on the other hand, classic is also code for "one day race" so yeah, I get your point.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Womens MMA not being a thing, but Meisha Tate being a fighter to watch out for.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Marching Powder posted:

thanks for this

also, i'd like to second the take a striking class or two suggestion. actively being really bad at something gives what you're seeing context.

I have a keen eye for good posting for that very reason.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh man Fatherdog you were a good mod rest in peace.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

I don't know much about MMA but in terms of moderation the principles are pretty universal. I'll keep an eye on what is going on and if any of you have issues PM me or use the Report button and I'll help out.

Hell yeah J-RU!

Is your moderation style going to be strictly buy/bust or are you going to try and get a warrant to get a wire tap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Because I'm an old idiot who watched UFC back in the day, do they still play the Hype Videos at the arena with Face the Pain or have they finally gotten rid of it?