Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

There's a bet on MMA thread, and someone occasionally will run a contest called GOONWEIGHT but the former has been dead for a while and the latter died due to :effort:

This is about a month late, but I resurrected the Goonweight thread for those that are interested. It's here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911163

We are 2 events into the season but anyone reading this is free to join in whenever. The next season will begin in May or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Best way to beat George Dillman is just to be a non-believant and also move your tongue in the wrong spot. He said so himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z0_n7tGnK0

also never forget the time Stephan Bonnar was in a news report about the chi KO not working

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdrzBL2dHMI

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 13, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is there a website for long form journalism on combat sports? Not articles on who won the recent fight, but deep dives on fighter biographies, gym drama, etc etc. Like, a breakdown of what went wrong in Rhonda Rousey's training and career would be an example of what I'm looking for.

For more analysis on their fighting styles, you can't go wrong with anything Jack Slack puts out.

http://www.fightprimer.com is his website

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tate won a title in a kickboxing org whose name I forget but it is the latest org by the guy who started It's Showtime. It's not super high profile but it's at least flown on my radar.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Okuteru posted:

Jesus, it's been a whole year since there has been a question on this thread.

Anyway, you may have heard that Endeavor, UFC's host company, is pretty close to buying WWE. I've been out of the MMA loop for a few years, but I am intrigued by this deal. My questions are:

1) How have the last two years of ownership fared for the UFC under Endeavor ownership versus, say, Zuffa?

2) How do you see this deal shaping out, in relation to the two companies? Do you think they will be run separately, or will I see clips on twitter of Jon Jones running in and costing Brock Lesnar a match?

1) UFC has mostly stayed consistent in terms of content and the like. There are mostly changes that have been aimed at ensuring Endeavor gets their money back in the form of cost cutting (aka paying fighters less). It's also been a big deal for UFC to put on like 40+ shows per year as part of that effort to make money back as part of the deal they signed with ESPN.

UFC also is mostly more open to being hostile towards the fighters who speak up or criticize the pay, the structure, etc. of the UFC as opposed to back in the Zuffa days where they were at least trying to publicly play ball with most of their talent.

This has all led to the product feeling very watered down (see: any UFC Fight Night card in the Apex) and more or less makes the big events less special to watch from my view.

2) The deal will probably not affect the UFC a huge amount. It's likely for Vince to be put in charge of the new parent company for UFC & WWE to work on broadcasting deals and the like. UFC & WWE also have the same approach to talent acquisition, don't pay for good guys, find guys who are willing to sign low paying contracts and only use them as to cut costs for the company.

Additionally, you'll probably see more cross over appearances as in people showing up to events to help promote each others brands and TV shows/events.

I'm also gonna assume that over the next few years they're gonna phase USADA out of the UFC because that's a big money sink and the UFC have prior to all of this have not been shy to pretend they don't need USADA.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pillowpants posted:

So, I’ve never watched MMA but I found out recently that Rick Hawn is my sons sensei.

I know he’s been retired for a while but was he any good?

If I remember his judo is really good but then he went to MMA where Judo stuff isn't always so easy to translate but he did a good job at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
not really but its also not very practical