Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

I can't remember if it was here or somewhere else but someone made up a thing that showed the average fighter improved for seven years and could only be competitive for nine years. There were some outliers but it seemed to fit fairly well.

^^^ Whoop, there it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

omg chael crash posted:

I'm 190ish posts behind on the bellator and bleague threads, can someone spoil all the jokes for me

Oplot reinvented themselves as a pro-USSR police force and now roams the Ukrainian countryside beating up non-believers. Rampage is a 2 to 1 favourite over King Mo.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Matt Brown is pretty great at hammering people with thrust elbows to get to the clinch

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Do people really hate Silva because he grabbed shorts one time or do they hate him because he finished their favourite fighter twice?

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

attackmole posted:

Any recommendations for good old-school boxing fights to watch? I don't know poo poo about boxing.

The Gatti/Ward trilogy will always be my favourite.

Paquiao/Marquez had four really good fights and you should watch them in order to get the full payoff and learn about timing. Foreman/Moorer was really cool at the time but might not be as exciting now without the context. It's a fight about patience. If you want to look at creative entries to get into hooking range watch Tyson or Patterson.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Pat Miletich posted:

When I first held the UFC title, I was a special guest at a kickboxing event in Chicago where a kid died. I was sitting ringside. I didn’t know the kid, but he got knocked down, got up, and then collapsed. The referee started counting—the kid was literally three feet from me, his head was turned toward me, and I saw his pupils go jet black. I climbed in between the ropes, pulled the kid’s mouthpiece out, and I told the referee, “Stop counting. This kid’s in trouble.”

The kid stretched out and stopped breathing right as three volunteer firemen climbed in—they were there watching the fights, but they jumped in with me. We started CPR and he turned dark blue right in front of us. We worked on him for about eight minutes until the ambulance got there. They didn’t have a ring doctor upstairs—he was downstairs tending to a kid with a broken nose. The ambulance got there, and he was dead. He died in my hands. I never wanted to be the guy that had to tell a kid’s parents why something seriously bad happened to him in the ring or the cage because I didn’t train him correctly.

From that point on, the training room was to create champions but also to thin the herd and make sure the people that did not belong in the cage didn’t go into the cage. The guys that couldn’t handle it, we got rid of ‘em quickly. It was very harsh to a lot of people. A lot of people thought that I was an rear end in a top hat, but I did it to make sure I didn’t ever have a kid on my team end up in that situation.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Pat's a weirdo and he's absolutely convinced his 24/7 skull trauma routine is the only reason none of his teammates died

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Lineker lost against Bagutinov because he couldn't corner him. Six months later he fought Ozkilic and his footwork was great. Those two back-to-back would show the difference between cutting off the cage and just walking a guy a down.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

George Foreman was the king of cutting guys off in boxing. He was so slow and patient about setting himself up and then unloading.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Kickboxers are always tall and lanky so it could be anyone.

It's probably Petrosyan or Badr Hari, though. I don't know what you would learn from watching Schilt, Ristie, or Daniels

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

The guys who ran Tough Guy Contest in the 80s were making money until they got banned for the dumbest reason in the world. People love bloodsports and the athletes were barely paid.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Sort of, but it cost him the first round. He was trying to step outside and land a left hand like he usually does but Rory was prepared for it. Most of Rory's camp was probably practicing this. Every time Lawler stopped fighting for position he ate a snap kick or a jab which kept Rory out of danger and let him rack up points.

At the end of the first, Lawler switched it up and began stepping inside to land power jabs and lead hooks. Rory clearly wasn't comfortable with this and he spends most of that round and a bit of the third getting lit up but he did adjust and started kicking the head. Stepping into power is obviously risky and Rory landed a big kick when Lawler stepped out in the third, almost ending the fight.

For most of the fourth, Lawler gets his rear end kicked. He gets caught on the fence at least once and almost gets stopped. Rory slows down a bit and Lawler gets back to the centre, where he starts circling to his right, because it's safer and he can catch his breath. Rory kicks him in the head a bunch but Lawler's not circling into them anymore and Rory gasses. Lawler goes back to jumping in and landing his right for the last two minutes of the fight and Rory has trouble catching up. He shoots a takedown but is too tired to get anywhere with it.

Lawler boxes Rory up in the fifth. The final punch was actually the big left Lawler was trying to land in the first round.

Here's every exchange in the fight. You can see both of them adjust as the fight goes on.

https://vimeo.com/133440772

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Bad Mr Frosty posted:

What about Holly Holm vs Mike Tyson, who would win in a basketball match?

Holm is probably taller and doesn't have asthma, it would be a wipeout

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Lid posted:

Has anyone tried to make weight by shaving off all the hair on their body?

Yeah, the guy in my av, Shamwow Shamhalaev. Before:

and after. He needed half a pound to make weight.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

haha. did it work?

Yeah, it was great

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Although record padding is a problem, a lot of coaches would tell you that getting a guy to 20-0 is an important part of developing a boxer as an athlete. They need a win in a fight that's well attended, a win against a power puncher (who gasses), a win against a guy who sucks but is going to cheat a lot, a win against a southpaw. Good managers try to give young boxers a lot of different looks as they come up and keep them away from someone who is going to ruin their confidence and give them a loss that could haunt them for years.

Also, a lot of boxers have pretty extensive amateur records with loses and have been dropped in a few smokers (unsanctioned matches) so their records can be deceiving.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I guess my point is that it's a different system

Also, I just realized you name dropped three of the most impressive boxers in the world today in your post. All of them earned their streaks and are generational talents.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Marching Powder posted:

it's sort of how you judge boxing rankings though. like how billy joe saunders (#3) and chris eubank (#7) are talking at a press conference and billy joe says, in front of the press, that 'golovkin would knock me and you out on the same night', that speaks more to golvkin's ability than all of his wins put together

hopefully boxing starts moving more in a mma direction now. accomplished amateur vasyl lomachenko fought for a world title in his second pro fight, and his record stands at 5-1

I don't know if that's the best example of the system changing. Lomanchenko is like 400-1 as an amateur and has two olympic gold medals

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I'm curious now, are smokers common in MMA gyms? Like is Jackson bringing in no-namers to go 100% on Saturdays? That seems like something that would have carried over from boxing and kickboxing

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Ditch posted:

So why the hell do boxing fans put up with long can-crushing runs to build up a superfight?

The wait is invigorating

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Captain Log posted:

Sometimes I'll go on hour long binges watching old boxing on Youtube and just think, "Jesus, what the gently caress happened?"

It's shocking how lovely it is.

I'm not going to tell you how to enjoy sports but I feel like every year I see a fight and like a goldfish go 'that's the best fight I've ever seen'. What do you think the 80s had that today doesn't?

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Well yeah, because you're generally cherry picking the best fights from a 50 year televised history. Great fights happen all the time

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

There just might not be enough of a market to draft those policies considering that maybe a dozen mma fighters could afford it

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

They are used in boxing, yeah.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

If you like the Lawrence Kenshin videos, I'd recommend LeeWylie on youtube.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Waroduce posted:

Where can I find a good repository of heavy bag drills?

How much experience do you have? The heavy bag isn't really for technique, imo, it's more of a cardio and muscle memory thing

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Oh, I gotcha. I was just going to warn you about not goofing your shoulder by punching too hard if you've never practiced before.

I usually do two soft 3 minute rounds to get my distance and then 3*3 minute rounds, short break, repeat three times. None of it is super high intensity.

What I try to do is make sure I'm always angling every time I step in and out, like in this video, and always moving off when I'm on the outside. As an 'exercise' it's probably not the best, but I find it helps build the muscle memory of never standing in place or backing straight up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFdHVvh0oJw

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

It was like Cruz vs Cody. Even if you could see Loma winning it was hard to imagine it would be that dominant, so even if the minute to minute stuff was boring, it was really mindblowing at the time

Like, between the two there were 4 gold medals and a combined amateur record of like 800 and 12. It was a fight between the greatest amateur boxers ever and it was a blowout

As for the ducking thing, I can write a longer post if you want but basically Loma took away his other options and the only adjustment Rigo made was to try to blow Loma harder

vainman fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 10, 2017

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

Most elite fighters are attribute fighters. Who're the physically least gifted fighters in this era who get by on wiles and technique? For a long time, I woulda said Joe Lauzon. Mike Pyle?

I don't know if she's still fighting but Bethe Correia came into MMA three apples tall with a background in accounting

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Hendricks never seemed to be particularly gifted and he was champ of the toughest division

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Punching power is werid because some people are absolutely born with it. Obviously you can train to be better but it seems to vary wildly

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I don't think I've ever seen someone use a cross guard with their lead hand above their rear hand before like Romero and I wonder if anyone here has and knows why he does that

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

That's pretty rad, thanks for sharing that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

This is a question for anyone who has trained in mma, but how strict about stances are coaches at the high level? I'm thinking about guys in boxing like Michael Kozlowski or any of the Mayweathers, who will not have anyone in their gym working on a different stance.