Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'd like to follow Muay Thai more, is there a PSP thread for it? I looked previously but couldn't find it because maybe it has a strange name? Outside of that what are the best promotions to follow? It seems a very interesting sport I am just not sure how to start following. I am so dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gregor Samsa posted:

In addition to all the correct things Dunc told you, here is a useful resource with schedules, photos, and fight recaps in English by all around cool dude Rob Cox, an Englishman who runs Kiatphontip gym over there with his wife's family and is at the stadiums 4 or 5 nights a week.

http://www.muaythai2000.com/en/

eshock posted:

Lion Fight is the major MT promotion in the states--they have a TV deal with AXS, so they're probably the best place to start. There are a bunch of posters who could give better recommendations for overseas stuff. I think most MT posting ends up in the Kickboxing thread.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Muay Thai is really hard to follow because the actual legit stuff is all on lovely Thai TV streams and there's a whole lot of it, much of which is boring, and it's really hard to contextualise who is who and what is what. If you find someone super hardcore who actually follows all the results from Thailand the chances are they actually fight for a living, there's very few people outside of Thailand who follow all the stadium stuff recreationally.

Anyway, Muay Thai TV has you covered with schedules and streams: http://www.muaythaitv.com/thai-tv/

If you want to post about it, just do it in the kickboxing and Dutch organised crime thread

Thanks for the responses guys. This is exactly what I was after. I really appreciate the help

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Google Tank Abbott's book, it is a novel btw not an autobiography.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

LobsterMobster posted:

I'm still waiting on parts 2 and 3 to come out :mad:

I always forget your avatar is Tank in disguise.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Are heel hooks effective in MMA? I thought you could just sit up and blast someone in teh face.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

-Atom- posted:

Is adding a second "n" to McGregor's name the new phantom "h" people were giving Ronda?

I'm a Conor as well and I had students call me Connor in emails despite having to type in my email address which has my name spelled correctly in it. It is a depressing phenomenon

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

So Chad said it's not so much that Conor hits very hard as it is he has great accuracy. What exactly does he mean by this? Does he just mean getting through guard or does he mean particular parts of the head?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Apparently he was timing the front kicks to interrupt Chad's breathing cycle, that's pretty cool

I can't even imagine how tricky it must be to time your opponent's breathing

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Why do corners hold ice bags against a fighters chest and against the back of their neck between rounds. Is it for swelling or too cool down? I saw Barao's corner fanning him with a towel between rounds this weekend. If it is to cool down how come? I thought it'd be best to stay warm between rounds.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kekekela posted:

Cooling down.

So to prevent overheating and return them to optimal athletic temperature, rather than to cool them right down?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

EvanSchenck posted:

I'm not sure I understand your question. Intense athletic activity raises body temperature, which can degrade performance and lead to health risks if not controlled. This is why people sweat when they're exercising. On top of that, the octagon has a ton of bright lights trained on it so people can see the fights, so it's pretty hot even when they're fighting in climate-controlled arenas in the USA. There have been fights in more primitive facilities, like in Brazil, that were ridiculously hot. Shogun vs. Henderson 2 was fought in conditions of over 100F with saturation humidity, so sweat couldn't even evaporate, and it was even hotter for the fighters because of the cage lights.

Anyway, if a fighter gets too hot, his performance suffers, stamina in particular. So the cornermen rub ice bags on their chests to lower their core body temperature.

Well you don't want to be as cold as before your warm-up I mean. Those fights sound insane at that heat though

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ok cool. That makes a lot of sense. I've only ever had to worry about cooling down between bouts so it seemed weird to me at first, I didn't account for the short amount of time in MMA.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

What is the referee supposed to do when he taps the fighter to let him know the fight is over after a submission? The referee seemed to pull Palhares and Shields apart for example and that looked dangerous maybe? If someone is cranking a hold like that how should a referee step in without causing more damage or was Mazzagatti correct?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

The ref has explained to both fighters in the locker room that when he touches them to stop fighting. Full bore let go of everything the moment they come in. There is some leeway for heat of the moment stuff, but Palhares is a repeat offender and obviously isn't breaking when contacted.

Right I get that but my question is what should the ref do when someone isn't letting go. Mazzagatti went into pull them apart but that seemed more dangerous.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dangersim posted:

I've posted this before but here's Big John doing a full prefight rules meeting. It answers a lot of question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HGpSp8aS30

This is really cool and good and there's loads of little things I didn't know

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Marc Goddard has won British BBJ comps which is cool

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/5/18/8621013/ufc-ref-marc-goddard-wins-double-gold-british-bjj-open

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Maybe they are too good at BJJ and Mario is thinking, "Well I would have passed guard and submitted him by now. Nothing must be happening. UP!"

Haha I hope that's it, "No you idiot it's twist then push not push then twist".

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

There's a few gyms doing free intro to BJJ classes in Dublin and I want to give one of them a try. Is there anything in particular I should know before my first class?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Read the grappling thread and the martial arts thread in Ask/Tell where this question gets asked frequently:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386441

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3409544

Ah I am so dumb I did not even think of there being separate threads for it! Thanks for the links!

Dangersim posted:

Cut your nails (hands and feet)
Make sure you don't smell
Just listen to what they tell you and don't be afraid to ask questions

Awesome I'll make sure to do all of that, thanks!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I am not overly worried about cardio, I think I'll be fine. Though that is probably the exact same thing everyone says! I have been fencing a long time and train for 2 hours 3 or 4 nights a week and it is very cardio intensive, I also swim a mile at least once usually twice a week. I used to do boxing training to work on my fitness too so I am kinda familiar with intense cardio. That said I have no idea what BJJ warm up is like, so I may well die. My main worry is that I won't have any physical strength accept for the fingers in my weapon hand, and any movements that are similar to fencing ones. Which I expect there are none of.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Phyzzle posted:

A man weighing 10% less than a woman should have roughly the same amount of muscle mass. The man's punching ability, much like his bench press, would remain better. Still, I wonder about a grapping match between Rousey and, say, a 115 pound guy.

Please go into more depth on what weights exactly men and women should be able to fairly fight at :downs:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Triticum Guzzler posted:

royce got his rear end beat by hideo tokoro who is like 30lbs lighter than him

So then a heavier opponent is no match for bushido spirit!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Though I agree it is a dumb conversation Ronda is the person who most often brings up her fighting Floyd.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Clean sheet could work.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Triticum Guzzler posted:

you could say they won every round

That's just so ambiguous, what does it mean??

Speaking of Maia/Nelson. Are those kinds of light hits Maia was throwing when tangled on the ground painful or is it just to look busy for the ref and judges? Or is it that after you throw so many they really start to hurt?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

From watching fights and reading a bit I've picked up what most punches are and what they look like but I'm still pretty fuzzy on what's meant by a cross or cross-counter(?).

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Cross is usually a synonym for rear hand straight.

Cross counter is a rear hand straight/overhand thrown overtop of someone's jab, right to the chin.

Ah I see I see, so then is a regular straight just a hard jab?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

Straight is used for punches off the rear hand. Jab is for the lead hand.

Okay this is what I was thinking but after reading about the cross I wasn't sure anymore. So in p much any case can I assume cross and straight are synonymous?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Thanks guys that really cleared things up, I appreciate it!