Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine
Just saw a video clip where Ronda Rousey is in a grappling session with a male fighter and getting clearly dominated.

Why is this so? As one of the top elite judo practitioners in the world, shouldn't she have been able to neutralize the size difference? Isn't that what judo is all about? Using the opponent's weight against them?

If she fought someone smaller (like Demetrius Johnson), would she be able to hold her own? Or is it just the male advantage? I'm doubly confused as I've also seen a video of a really small Asian guy able to armbar a fighter who was waaaay bigger than him.

Basically what I'm asking is- if cross-gender bout was allowed, which weight class could Ronda find some success in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine
Thanks to everyone who answered my question (especially if you did it without being mean or snarky about it)

Interestingly enough, a video has surfaced of Miesha "Cupcake" Tate tapping out multiple male opponents in a row in a grappling demo. Doesn't look like they have as much experience as her, but they clearly have a muscle and size advantage and the whole video clearly disproves that whole "women can't fight men because they are weak" myth.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Aha, now you've trapped us with your YouTube video of what was surely a rigorous experiment. You have bested me sir, and I bow humbly to your superior posting.
It wasn't an experiment under a lab setting or anything, it was just a simple demonstration of her grappling a bunch of dudes who were bigger than her. I don't really know that much about combat sports other than having taken some Tae Kwon Do classes when I was young (which shouldn't count really) so no bowing will be necessary.

Dangersim posted:

As an example I started bjj with a chick who went on to win a bunch of competitions and got good really fast. She was definitely way more skilled then me, but if I used my strength and weight I could slowly wear her down and get the tap eventually.
This is really interesting to me. Just thinking about how much skill could compensate for size. If I recall, there was a UFC event called David vs Goliath or something similiar. I was also thinking about how Royce Gracie was able to overcome the size difference really easily initially.

Makes me think if Royce Gracie tried the same thing now he would get defeated fairly easily.

Muttonchips fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 27, 2015

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine

origami posted:

He would get murdered pursuing those techniques against today's calibre of fighters

Would Ronda be able to stop Royce? I mean Royce in his current state, not in his prime.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine

Marching Powder posted:

please stop these absurd hypotheticals
My bad- I didn't mean to go off on a hypothetical tangent. I was just trying to gauge the difference between women and men in combat sports. Seems very unlikely we'll see a male on female match in the UFC so it's basically pointless to speculate.

It's just that with all the talk of Ronda vs Mayweather fight, I wanted an informed opinion of the odds of a female fighter defeating a male fighter. I heard a lot of people talking about how Ronda would completely destroy Mayweather in a MMA fight, but after reading this thread, it's clear those people have no idea what they're talking about.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine

CommonShore posted:

Asking about men vs women in combat sports isn't really a relevant question any more than asking what would happen if Demetrious Johnson fought Chris Weidman. They compete in separate divisions for a reason.
Here's an interesting fact. There used to be a time in UFC when there was no weight class. Demetrious Johnson facing off against Chris Weidman could have been a real possibility. Personally I would have love to see them bring back tournaments without weight classes. Post-diverticulitis Brock Lesnar versus Louis Gaudinot would make for an interesting match-up, imo. They didn't add in weight classes until UFC 12.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine

Tatum Girlparts posted:

You have seen the old pre-12 UFC stuff right?
Sure have! I actually have an annual Fight Pass membership, and have watched most of the fights on there (I tend to fast forward through the boring matches though and there are a LOT of those early on). Funny enough, pre-Zuffa UFC marketed themselves by claiming to have no rules which was a complete lie- they DID have rules in place, like no eye gouging. I can understand why they had to change the rules, but having rules and weight classes does take away from the unpredictability and excitement of the sport IMHO.

Bad Mr Frosty posted:

are you sure its not because you are a 400 lb goon wanting to fight in the ufc ????
I have considered taking a few distance learning courses being offered by the Gracie Academy to get the basics, but I have no aspirations of partaking in combat sports. My weight should not and will not be an issue here nor will it be discussed any further. Any future reference to my weight will simply be ignored. You have been warned.

Gadamer posted:

The OP hasn't been updated since 2011 - anyone have recommendations for some more recent (and easier to find) fights to watch?
To help us give you some better suggestions, which criteria are you looking for? A back and forth slug fest? A grappling showcase? Announcers getting excited? If you're looking for announcers getting excited, I suggest you look up the video clip of Joe Rogan narrating a mishap by one of the corners in which they accidentally split open a bag of ice.

Also, origami as I've said before I have Fight Pass membership and I have seen the match where Joe Son gets punched repeatedly in the balls over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine

Gadamer posted:

I'm still fairly new to the sport, but I have been training bjj for a little over a year now (:eng99:). A grappling showcase would be one I can approach with at least some knowledge, even if they aren't the most exciting.
If you're open to watching promotions outside of UFC, you should definitely watch some of the Sakuraba vs Gracie matches. They may be boring to a casual fan but if you like grappling, I think you'll like them a lot.

You can find some cool finishes like the Korean Zombie's twister or anything involving Rousey but as far as matches here are some good ones off the top of my head.

Hatsu Hioki vs Charles Oliveira (UFC Fight Night 43)
Iuri Alcāntara vs Wilson Reis (UFC Fight Night 36)
Kyung Ho Kang vs Michinori Tanaka (UFC Fight Night 52) <---- don't miss this one