Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

RE: Vale Tudo

I never hear ya'll talk about it, like at all. Are there any must-watch matches or anything like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

yeah, I guess I was meant the league where yvel Won Something

I know it doesn't exist anymore, lol

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

someone post the gif of kimbo and alexander circling like a wheel inside a wheel now.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

fatherdog posted:

If you want actual Vale Tudo fights where the only rules are no eye gouging and (sometimes) no groin shots, search for "IVC" and look for fights with Wanderlei Silva and Pedro Rizzo. Hope you like headbutts and soccer kicks.

thanks, I was just curious where mma came from pre UFC besides shootfighting, judo etc. I hear Vovchanchyn would have been better if he hadn't hosed up his hands doing this sort of thing, right?

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

:aaa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM3RsyoLuBs

:40 is pretty funny

Chuck is a beast in this, jeez

ForbiddenWonder fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 2, 2011

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

James Toney

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

KungFu Grip posted:

This basically goes out to anyone who played the UFC Undisputed 2010 and EA MMA, how would you compare them?

UFC: Chunky, but otherwise polished. More indeph everything, but still accessible. Has gaping flaws that will annoy the hell out of you if you're really good. Online play was absolutley broken in this years version

MMA: Fluid, but otherwise horrible graphics with limited animations. Roster is hilarious. Online play is awesome, live announcers in special weekly events, plus belts you can win and defend. Very simple controls with the punching system from fight night. Career mode is fun for 15 fights but then a snooze.

I enjoyed both, but if I had to pick one i'd go for UFC every time.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

more words about boxing, tia. where do I find decent quality boxing videos with english commentary? youtube is pretty hit and miss. I really like those HBO specials where they turn the fight into a documentary after the fact.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

i'm a garv guy.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Big Bob Pataki posted:

What I'm saying is Jake Shields should not be up for a title shot because his Strikeforce wins don't count because they can't use elbows

the athletic commissions are only there to make sure paulo doesn't bring an axe into the ring with him, title shots etc are all up to the promotion. kimbo could fight for the heavyweight title at UFC 130 if dana wanted. the commission has canceled fights like wes sims vs lashley because of experience gaps before but that's rare.

vvv haha drat, shows what I get for posting with a fever (not dengue)

ForbiddenWonder fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 16, 2011

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

mobn posted:

Yes, because it is an uncommon usage, it does not exist. Consensus in the fashion used in combat sports is a shorthand. It says "most people agree", but this a hyperbolic use of the term, much as when a headline says "everyone loves gaga". Of course not everyone loves lady gaga, but the phrase gives the sense of how widespread her popularity is. I'm sorry that you dont't understand hyperbole or the distinction between proper and common usage. It must be a jersey thing.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

paulo filho is the #1 nonconsensual LHW

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

the best part was when he was interviewed as part of that first 10 years of pride documentary. he basically said 'wow, that was an ugly face that boy had after that fight. I didn't want that face'. I wish I could find a clip of it, the way he says it is amazing

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

awesome, definitely watching that right now.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

I hear Josh Barnett is always looking for a new guild member or two.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

A Pale Horse posted:

Andy can teach kids to dance and Wandy can teach them to count (through punching). Make it happen PBS.

The kids would sure be familiar with the numbers 3 and 4.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

too large of a file size

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

more like sadistic boxing refs

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

money

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Teepkick Shakur posted:

Are there pride DVD (or blu ray) box sets available that show the complete events as aired? I was going to purchase the ones distributed by the UFC but apparently they dont show any of the walkouts and cut out any camera shots of the commentators.

http://www.amazon.com/Pride-Fighting-Championships-Legacy-Vol/dp/B000NJL4PS/ref=pd_cp_d_2 is what you're looking for. I have 28-32 and it shows everything, including bas and quadros talking about the fights over a beer.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

mobn posted:

Ha, situations like that go down at the Chuck E Cheese here all the time. There was a 30+ person brawl in the parking lot a couple years back because two dads started fighting over whose kid was next on some machine.

did your dad win?

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

I probably have that rear end in a top hat gene.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCl4dQ5tS-Q

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

MassRayPer posted:

The best part of early UFC was the ridiculous disciplines they listed for fighters. I will never forget "Warrior Training" from UFC 9.

SAFTA son, SAFTA.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

BlindSite posted:

I think someone with an active guard gets you a 10-9 rather than a 10-8 in a lot of instances, but you're still on your back, you've still been taken down and you're not showing what I'd consider good octagon control.

no one ever gives 10-8 rounds unless the dude is just laying there half dead though. and even then they usually don't.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

he was in felony fights? hahahaha is all I have to say to that.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

i'd probably pay money to get hammered and watch bob sapp if he came near me

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

at this point I think both mir and andrei would get rocked during the pre fight touching of the gloves.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

killa b whenever he makes his triumphant return to where he belongs.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

I got knocked out in hockey once and my arms stiffed up apparently and the emt person told me that it was a 'good sign'. I also may have imagined the whole conversation...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

it's pretty loving bad for your kidneys. pissing blood is common.