Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Haraksha posted:

A numbered event is usually on PPV and has the big name stars. Sometimes PPVs are free, but usually only if they're being held in the UK or Australia. Those cards typically have fighters with less drawing power and are on a tape delay.
Australian cards are live, not tape delayed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

fawker posted:

Related to pants making GBS threads: who was that dude that fought in the Strikeforce HW GP reserve fight that said he didnt wipe his rear end for 2 weeks before the fight? Would an athletic commission actually allow that to happen?
Gian Vilante.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Also his name is an abbreviation of "Mage of Blackest Night" which is pretty embarrassing by itself.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Goddamn - this guy went ahead and threw in as many from the 'do not use' list as he could there. Kick to the face on a downed fighter, thumb to the eye, punch after a stoppage etc. The announcers saying something like "This is kind of what he does - he just loses it" shows that this guy probably shouldn't have been booked for fights in the first place.

Thanks for the answers and videos. I can't help but find it funny watching guys going for a takedown on a ref when they are out of it as long as nobody gets hurt. Good to know that fighters throwing punches at officials is rare with all the rattled brains after some of the strikes they take.
He also bit a dude (on the chest) once. Kyle is a real scumbag.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

CaptainYesterday posted:

Q: I'm trying to get into MMA. Are there any good podcasts that cover MMA news?

EDIT: Something for beginners.
Co-main event is more listenable than most.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

M.C. McMic posted:

I thought this info might be in the OP, but I didn't see it...

What general fighting or MMA podcasts should I listen to?
The Co-Main Event is better than most. Rogan can be decent when he has an MMA guest, but be prepared for hour-long digressions on aliens, bigfoot, or ayahuasca; Brian Redban, his co-host, is also completely worthless.

Edit: If you're looking for a really good Rogan podcast listen to the one with Victor Conte.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

M.C. McMic posted:

Also, I may have also been a bit disappointed with the fact that they didn't really talk all that much about fighting or the UFC at all, but that's really not GSP's fault. Rogan got a whiff of aliens and was off to the races.
Sorry if I'm piling on too much, but the Rogan podcast with Jimmy Smith (Bellator announcer) was largely MMA talk and quite good overall, IIRC.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Wisenheimer posted:

I'm a little confused about the judging criteria. The criteria listed on the UFC website appear to be the same as the Unified Rules for MMA adopted in 2009. However, there is a newer document, MMA Judging Criteria Revisions 2012 Report (pdf), that notes a number of changes and clarifications to the criteria. Are these revisions the correct judging criteria or do they just use what is listed on the UFC website?
The ABC isn't an actual commission itself, it's just sort of like the UN of athletic commissions. (And has about the same amount of actual authority, ie: none.)

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

John Cena posted:

i have limited jits knowledge
Sounds like you're already far far ahead of her then.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

TheJoker138 posted:

I've never really gotten into UFC because of how expensive the ppvs are. If I wanted to try and get into it would fight pass be the place to go?
A month of fight pass is less expensive than the cover at a lot of bars that show UFC events, so yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Herr Tog posted:

So Floyd being called out by 50 to read Harry Potter. I feel like PSP has to have talked about this. Where is it so I can get some facts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vskxj22-1c&t=69s