Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I played EA MMA through three times before deciding to switch to the button-based control scheme, which in my opinion is way more fluid and pleasant--and I was one of those annoying, douchebaggy "YOU CAN'T USE THE BUTTONS YOU GOTTA USE THE STICK" Fight Night Round 4 fans, so it is not a lack of enjoyment for stick-based strike controls, I just didn't feel like their translation of the system worked particularly well.

1st AD posted:

EAMMA has a better create a fighter mode (you can use high res jpegs of a dude's face)

I gotta disagree with this. The EA gameface stuff is fantastic when it works, but it very often does not work well at all, and they don't give you much in the way of options for tweaking. Add to this that you have less control over bodily appearance and compound that with having way less actual customization within the fighter's arsenal, and I was actually really disappointed in EA MMA's create-a-dude features. You can alter the stances and the stats, but the fighters all move and fight really similarly--you get to define every part of your arsenal in Undisputed 2010, but EA MMA gives you, what, 16 out of 27 special moves, a number of which are transitions and such. It's disappointingly shallow.

That being said, fighter share is loving awesome, and if THQ has any sense they'll either steal it completely, or they'll go cannibalize the online community system from Smackdown vs. Raw and shoehorn it into the next UFC game.

Oh, and if you play career in either game, look forward to celebrating the top tiers of achievement by fighting the same three guys over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

RobBorer posted:

For most people, it was pretty obvious that Hughes was going to win. He was huge compared to Royce, had great wrestling and had been a dominant champion for years.

The advertising did its job really well--current fans were aware of this, but I knew a whole bunch of old-school fans that had heard of or seen some of the original UFCs and never bothered again, and after seeing it they were not only interested in the fight, but were convinced that Royce would probably win just like he used to.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Gerald Harris is a good case of how the cutting can be inconsistent--dude puts together two TKOs followed by one of the best knockouts of the year, has one lovely performance in a decision loss right after the WEC merger, and gets released.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

There are some people out there who have a certain level of pain or physical injury they're not prepared to deal with, and when you hit it they tend to break and quit.

However, very few of those people are going to get themselves into positions to have biting and eyegouging fights and I'd wager that none of them are professional fighters, and if you poke Yuki Nakai's eye out he's just going to rip your loving foot off.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I don't really want anyone to watch Sakuraba/Zaromskis because I'm not an inhuman monster but I cannot help feeling there's no better encapsulation of the death spiral of MMA in Japan than an aging hero far past his prime being assaulted until parts of his body fall off

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Franklin/Loiseau is the living ideal of the fight that just breaks a fighter permanently, and it's wonderful.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Conor is the first UFC fighter to get paid $1 million in regular, disclosed pay. I wouldn't be surprised if Brock Lesnar or GSP cleared a million on payout+points for UFC 100, since they both pulled in $400k disclosed and it did a monstrous buyrate. When you factor in sponsorships and UFC under-the-table money there's probably a handful of Liddell/Couture/Tito-tier guys who made it at least once, but precise numbers are basically impossible to get.

I'm pretty sure Pride reported Fedor got $1 million in direct payouts at least once, and K-1 probably funneled dumptrucks of drug money into Bob Sapp's pockets.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Chuck would have been the first in UFC.

Did PRIDE pay out that much to Rickson?

I think there's a chance Chuck never cleared a million in above-board pay. He was definitely their highest-paid fighter for awhile, but that was also at a time when the UFC's pay structure was considerably lower and they didn't yet confirm that anyone was getting PPV points period. He definitely SHOULD be the first, if he didn't clear a million for UFC 66 it'd be a loving crime.

Snowden always said he heard from Rickson's people that Pride paid him a million, but Pride didn't disclose until they came to America so it's hard to know for sure and Rickson has this thing about inflating numbers.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Forceholy posted:

Speaking of Brawl for All, what exactly is Inokism?

It was Antonio Inoki's personal philosophy and the way he booked NJPW in the early 2000s, and the succinct version of it is "wrestling should be real again." Inoki saw the boom period of Pride and K-1 in Japan, and the immense celebrity success of pro-wrestler/fighter Kazushi Sakuraba, as an opportunity to bring back the mystique of pro-wrestling by blending it back into real combat sports like he had back in the day. So NJPW started emphasizing shoot-style a lot more and brought real fighters into the promotion to make their wrestlers seem tougher, which, in itself, did not have to be a bad thing.

Unfortunately, he also went the other way and put a ton of pressure on NJPW wrestlers to compete in real fighting. Inoki had already been training Kazuyuki Fujita as a real fighter, and he was relatively successful, which to Inoki meant this was A Good Idea And Everyone Should Do It. So suddenly Yoshihiro Takayama was an MMA fighter despite having very little real training, and suddenly Tadao Yasuda, who had only ever done sumo, was making his MMA debut in his late 30s, and suddenly Inoki was promoting his own personal fight cards where top guy Yuji Nagata was getting butchered by Cro Cop and Fedor for no goddamn reason. Even Shinsuke Nakamura entered the promotion as a blue-chipper Inokiism MMA prospect. And the pressure on the roster to do this was clear, because all of those guys got visibly rewarded for it--most notably Yasuda, who was aging, not particularly good at wrestling and not particularly popular with the audience, but suddenly went from being a midcard guy who lost to Team 2000 a bunch to coming 2nd in a G1 Climax and winning the IWGP championship.

So this was already bad enough, with wrestlers getting injured in real fights in which they tended to look terrible and people getting pushed either because they had MMA fights or were themselves MMA fighters with very little wrestling experience, but then you started getting cards that were openly promoted as mixed wrestling and MMA, where Lyoto Machida would be fighting one minute and Kenta Kobashi would be wrestling the next, which then made the entire "blend wrestling and MMA so wrestling seems more real" thing even weirder because they were being explicitly NOT blended and instead presented side by side as separate things with separate rules.

It was a bad idea that still has a lot of strict defenders (I'm sure MRT will be around any second with a similar post about how it was good and profitable and people who hated it are losers) that is generally looked on as a dark age for NJPW and a key factor in its decline, with attendance falling and their show getting moved to a worse timeslot for flagging interest, and it led directly to Inoki selling his stake in NJPW and getting the gently caress out to go start his own company again.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

When you work your way into a position of power people tend to need/use you even if you're a scumbag who's ripped off everyone who came before you and has quite literally stomped people to death for fun. If you analogize anything from wrestling, it's how very, very easy it is for people, especially people in athletic fields with disproportionate senses of self-confidence, to say "well, that won't happen to me" even when all available evidence indicates that, yes, it absolutely will.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Cheese Thief posted:

Not sure where to post this: I started watching UFC when the very first came out on PPV and watched it all through the 90s when it was still a Gracie infommercial. Does ESPN streaming service provide every UFC, 1 on? I am thinking about reliving my childhood with those early spectacles, binging them all until I'm caught up to today. Where is it available.

ESPN doesn't, you have to subscribe to the UFC's own streaming service, https://ufcfightpass.com/. This used to be a better deal because it was also where they'd host live prelims and fight nights, but that's all on ESPN now, so Fight Pass is $10 a month for access to the vault of old events and occasionally they'll host cards for smaller orgs like Invicta. On the plus side, the Fight Pass vault also has Pride and Strikeforce and othersuch stuff on it, so there's basically a lifetime's worth of MMA on it, depending on how hard you want to binge.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

algebra testes posted:

Because I'm an old idiot who watched UFC back in the day, do they still play the Hype Videos at the arena with Face the Pain or have they finally gotten rid of it?

They sadly retired Face the Pain back in like 2018, if memory serves. They still do the Baba O'Riley hype videos in-arena, but the intro song now changes between broadcasts.

I am personally sad they stopped using this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v67XN4PRJtA

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Yeah, Rick Hawn was in that unfortunate place where he was Great but couldn't crack the ceiling of The Best. Mopped the floor with most of his opponents, was extremely competitive with some equally great folks, but he couldn't get past the world champions or their top contenders. Which is, to be clear, not an insult. Dude was one of the best in Bellator and easily top fifteen in the world during his prime, and that's really, really hard to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I have a half-finished draft for a new Q&A thread altogether that I've kept having to periodically scrap and start over because when I first started writing it Eagle FC was a big exciting international promotion and by god I'll finish it one day