Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Wait, do we only have pro wrestling mods now?

I don't know much about MMA but in terms of moderation the principles are pretty universal. I'll keep an eye on what is going on and if any of you have issues PM me or use the Report button and I'll help out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Captain Log posted:

I might start effort posting an OP. Or I'll get distracted by a parrot. It's a hard life.

Yeah :justpost:, there's absolutely nothing to lose. Worst case scenario the thread won't have any traction and it'll quickly slip off the first page. Best case scenario you create a really useful thread and that would be a good thing.

Those parrots can be mighty distracting though :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

david carmichael posted:

shorter, weaker, slower

Please don't doxx me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Does it really matter if Chael loses, since a year from now he'll be cutting promos about how he defeated Fedor regardless?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Five Cent Deposit posted:

I just clicked on this thread for the first time since 2015 and this was the first post that loaded for me. LOL

This reminds me that I heard people genuinely saying a few years ago saying that Ronda could beat Floyd Mayweather in a boxing match :psyduck:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I remember Holm's coaches getting high praise after she defeated Ronda, because they had apparently trained her specifically with Ronda as an opponent in mind.

Shame about all those other non-Ronda opponents Holm has faced since then :laugh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, no idea if there is a streaming service for it, but youtube doesn't seem to have any issue with having the full fights up and easily accessible so I'm guessing there isn't one or that the rights are a clusterfuck and nobody really knows who owns what.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Joe Frasier was better.

Joe Frazier had the bad luck to be one of the greatest boxers in the world at exactly the same time that Muhammad Ali and George Foreman existed. Same deal with Ken Norton too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Then Ali/Frazier went at it one more time to the point where BOTH were about to quit because they'd brutalised each other so badly, but Frazier just so happened to quit first.

Absolutely loving incredible time for boxing, and it is still unbelievable to me that the guy who mostly came out of that period the most at peace and improved as an all around human being was George Foreman.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I loved the interview Arsenio did with Ali and Tyson (and Sugar Ray Leonard!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki4UKsI8bms

Tyson gets so amped up talking about what Ali meant to him as a kid, it's really heartwarming.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LobsterMobster posted:

found it. good as it ever was

Oh my loving God this is amazing :xd:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If I remember right, Cus was super-strict with him. One thing that always stands out in my memory is seeing footage of Tyson winning his first fight and starting to celebrate, then immediately shutting down because Cus just grunts at him to stop acting up and go thank his opponent for the fight. Seems like he had very little in the way of a release valve and once he had the freedom he just went completely overboard (happily allowed by Don King who didn't give a gently caress so long as the KOs and the big money kept rolling in).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thanks, I had the wrong end of the stick on that one, I always thought Cus was more omnipresent in his life as a disciplinarian as opposed to just in regards to his training.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dr. Miracle posted:

Speaking of, what is the oildome thing? I remember that name specifically, but none of the details.

From a UFC thread 2 years ago:

Untrustable posted:

My brother was in prison for 9 years and told me he would microwave baby oil and put it on the floor of his cell except for the place he was standing. He'd then call out someone in the common area and when they came running in they'd slip and slide and he, standing in the only dry spot, would just pummel them while they tried to gain traction. That's the best base for MMA.

Untrustable posted:

Probably 6 months after he got out I went out on a drive and took him with me and just let him talk about prison. He loved it but he's also probably very mentally ill. Fights could break out due to "heart checks" which is where someone tries to punk you to see if you're an easy target or not. He would react by heating up the baby oil and then talking poo poo from his dry spot. He said eventually it got to the point where no one would come in his cell if he was talking poo poo because they knew what was coming. Since they refused to engage in what was an almost guaranteed beating, they were seen as "bitches" and generally treated worse by the overall population. The only way to win was to enter the oildome and get beaten up to show you weren't a "bitch".

We missed so many visitation days because he was always in solitary. It wasn't limited to the baby oil beatdowns. He was and is still pretty formidable even without a clear advantage. I still give him poo poo though because he came out of prison at a well defined 185 or so and then put on tons of weight which I like to call the "freedom fifty".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CarlCX posted:

ESPN doesn't, you have to subscribe to the UFC's own streaming service, https://ufcfightpass.com/. This used to be a better deal because it was also where they'd host live prelims and fight nights, but that's all on ESPN now, so Fight Pass is $10 a month for access to the vault of old events and occasionally they'll host cards for smaller orgs like Invicta. On the plus side, the Fight Pass vault also has Pride and Strikeforce and othersuch stuff on it, so there's basically a lifetime's worth of MMA on it, depending on how hard you want to binge.

Not sure if this is relevant to Cheese Thief or not, but if you're non-US then FightPass still does all the prelims and fight nights so it's still a good deal.